Suns @ Lakers Thursday Playoff game thread 5-27-2021 - Game 3

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yep the players have to call out the refs and get T’d up because Monte just sits there and does nothing! You know why Lebum cries after every call because then they start giving him calls the same as the Spurs used to do to us. The squeaky wheel gets the grease if you sit back and take it and say nothing, nothing changes pretty simple. Monte is to quite and with a young team that is getting visibly frustrated and off their game by the refs the coach should know he needs to take a fine or a T and call these clowns out! And sticking with line ups that aren’t working and not adjusting is killing us to Monte is getting worked by an average coach on the opposite bench...

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Havent really visted the bball forum much.

Luka/Booker or Murray/Metcalf which (coulda been) one gets discussed more on this site?

Ayton seems like if he played 10 years ago he'd be a superstar. Still he looks to be really good so its not as big of a what if.
Same I didn’t even mess with the NBA since Sarver brought the team.

From what little I’ve seen:

Ayton Looks soft and undeveloped. Like scared to attack the rim. I thought he had a jumper. He has no turnaround game either. Maybe his game will come with time. But people on other forums are expected KAT or Embiid type of play, though both averaged more in their rookie years then Ayton.

Booker is no Kobe. He cannot take over a game when need be. He’s not elite but hr will probably get their.

Horrible stretch by the Suns. Like there’s no heart in the team. I turned the game off at the third quarter when they called the time out. Suns have no size to compete with the Lakers. CP3 is hurt. This looks really bad.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Here is a replay of Booker receiving a flagrant 2 foul and ejection.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Have to say, having watched 70's and 80's playoff basketball, that would have just been a normal foul. A guy kicks someone in the nuts and it's a flagrant one, but a push in the back is a flagrant 2? C'mon!

Aside from that, I am in agreement with EJ, I know coaches shorten their rosters during the playoffs, but when your team is struggling, it would have been nice to see if Jevon Carter could have slowed down Schroder. Maybe Galloway or Moore could have given us some threes. All year long our bench beat other team's benches to help get us wins. You have to trust your guys. Frank the Tank played some decent defense when he was in. We could have used some scoring, but he was not horrible. He didn't cost us the game. I believe Monty limiting the guys who can play, is limiting one of our strengths we had in the regular season.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Booker’s play last night was a direct result of both Paul and Crowder being on the floor with him. Go back and watch how the Lakers were setting up their defense. They virtually all but totally neglected defending CP3 and Crowder and tilted the defense all toward Book.
If Paul were healthy and Crowder represented even a minimal threat, Book would’ve had another 30 point game last night and we would likely be the team up 2-1.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Booker’s play last night was a direct result of both Paul and Crowder being on the floor with him. Go back and watch how the Lakers were setting up their defense. They virtually all but totally neglected defending CP3 and Crowder and tilted the defense all toward Book.
If Paul were healthy and Crowder represented even a minimal threat, Book would’ve had another 30 point game last night and we would likely be the team up 2-1.

I didn't watch that much of it but the part i watched yeah 100% the problem is CP3 is not healthy and the Lakers are just loading up on Booker. Ayton is doing his part honestly he needs more shots but the problem is they're just loaded up on Booker and other guys need to take up the slack.

Another guy is Bridges I know he's a role player but he can't play 34 minutes against that defense and only get 6 points he's got to be able to make them pay for keying on Booker.

But the whole issue is CP3 not able to play his normal game due to the injury, looks like Payne played well from the Box but he's just not Chris Paul

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I did like how Booker and Crowder teamed up on the hard foul to Schroder. That was a throwback foul to the 70's and 80's playoff basketball.

We were laughing at home how Schroder had an open lane the next play, but would not drive after that Booker/Crowder play. It got in his head a bit.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Start Kaminsky, Saric, Carter, Crowder, Moore, Galloway. Let them pick up the early fouls as the Lakers come out strong. Then bring in the real starters after the initial couple minutes of the Lakers surge wears off! LOL. Hard fouls, etc. :mrgreen:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Outrebounded by 16. Yeesh

And 8-15 on the offensive boards.

This is why we lost and badly at that. The rebounding in game 1 was excellent on our part but its been a weakness in each of our losses, tonight being the worst. I know the Lakers are bigger than us but we've shown we can out rebound them regardless of their size. We don't even need to out rebound them to win but we need to keep the difference between us within 5 total.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
This is why we lost and badly at that. The rebounding in game 1 was excellent on our part but its been a weakness in each of our losses, tonight being the worst. I know the Lakers are bigger than us but we've shown we can out rebound them regardless of their size. We don't even need to out rebound them to win but we need to keep the difference between us within 5 total.
Totally agree. Game 1 you could see all five guys hitting the boards. Ayton and Craig have got us some offensive boards, too.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Totally agree. Game 1 you could see all five guys hitting the boards. Ayton and Craig have got us some offensive boards, too.

I would have 3-4 guys attack for rebounds each shot. Let the PG (Paul or Payne) start leaking back on offense with whoever else doesn't crash the glass for fast break buckets. If Payne is out there then he can run the break alone, have 4 crash but if its Paul give him a partner to run with.

Tell Ayton if he can grab 20 boards or more in the rest of the games you'll give him his max deal. That should light a fire under him.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

This is exactly right. They were literally leaving them wide open. Two Lakers would literally stand next to the paint while leaving Paul and Crowder wide open at the three-point line.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ugh another craapy exhausting day from little zzz after another hard suns loss sucks...

Really hoping paul monty rally book other players somehow

Looking pretty dang bleak now....

Still have faith go suns...

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And below is a picture of it.

The Suns need to hit shots although the Lakers only shot 25% from three (7-28). Lakers did a lot of their damage inside.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The Suns need to hit shots although the Lakers only shot 25% from three (7-28). Lakers did a lot of their damage inside.

And that’s a coaching problem, lack of adjustments. Also I love CP3 but man has to know he’s doing more damage to this team right now.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I mean this is a complete joke. Monty should have pulled Chris immediately, and kept out of the rest of the game as soon as this started.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
CP3 is the biggest problem but not the only problem.

We need to rebound better, get to the line more (AD 40FTA to DA's-3) and guys like Crowder, Bridges and Saric need to hit their open shots.

The suns are really in a corner and it doesn't look good.

On the bright side, Ayton has really shown up.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And that’s a coaching problem, lack of adjustments. Also I love CP3 but man has to know he’s doing more damage to this team right now.

I think Monty tends to be loyal to certain players to a fault. When players aren't hitting shots he has to look for the hot hand. He waited too long to go to Craig and never did go to Moore and Carter. He might even have put Stix in there late to get his feet wet in the playoffs. It's not like Kaminsky and Saric are producing.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@95pro

If Paul, Crowder and Cam Johnson cannot hit the three it makes the game tough for everyone particularly Booker. Suns have to spread the court with shooters.

Monty needs to look towards his bench for help.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson