Suns @ Lakers Thursday Playoff game thread 5-27-2021 - Game 3

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After the loss on Tuesday the Suns head to the Lakers to play game 3 and 4 on Thursday and Sunday with the series tied 1-1.

We know there will be a game 5 in Phoenix on Tuesday June 1st.

The game will be televised by Bally Sports Arizona and TNT.

Start time for the game on Thursday is scheduled for 7 p.m. Arizona time.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a travel day with no practice scheduled. An injury report has yet to be submitted.

Maybe some more information on Chris Paul tomorrow.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s funny... I looked at the schedule and initially thought 3 games in 5 days was great for us because we’re young and the Lakers are banged up. Not much time to recuperate. Classic case of careful what you wish for.

CP3 getting injured in the first quarter of the first playoff game is just cruel.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris Paul is still on the team and he has taught the team to win. Shake it off. Next man up.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just when you think the Suns have turned things around....the basketball universe puts us back in our place with a CP3 gut punch. Come on Suns.....we just need to grab one of the next two somehow. Guys need to step up.

This is the true test to see if the culture around here truly has changed.

Dr dumas

Veteran
Reaction score
Just when you think the Suns have turned things around....the basketball universe puts us back in our place with a CP3 gut punch. Come on Suns.....we just need to grab one of the next two somehow. Guys need to step up.

Win or lose, the culture has changed. The pressure is now on LA to hold home court advantage.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
the more i watch this, i think he either has a jacked up collarbone, rotator cuff or trapeze

34 second mark, i dont think it was the head to cam that did it

45 second mark, two slow mo replays in a row. watch his shoulder, a muscle or something contracts/moves right as his arm is horizontal...or is it just lighting

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's a travel day with no practice scheduled. An injury report has yet to be submitted.

Maybe some more information on Chris Paul tomorrow.

I think the injury reports, updates are fairly meaningless with regard to CP3. We know he's messed up, we know he will still try to play through it, and we know the truth won't be made public, except for the performance we see on the floor.

I am not encouraged. He is the key to our success, he makes our other players thrive.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Suns could have folded multiple times last night, and were a coin-flip to win with less than four minutes.

Unless they get just pummeled in the next three games, I would say the culture is there in spades.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think the injury reports, updates are fairly meaningless with regard to CP3. We know he's messed up, we know he will still try to play through it, and we know the truth won't be made public, except for the performance we see on the floor.

I am not encouraged. He is the key to our success, he makes our other players thrive.

We have outscored the Lakers over two games, 7 quarters of which he has been a shell of himself. I would say Paul is A key to our success. He has been a top15 player in the NBA this year, so his reduced capacity is significant, but it is not as if we got killed without him. We were a couple shots here or there from going up 2-0.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
the more i watch this, i think he either has a jacked up collarbone, rotator cuff or trapeze

45 second mark, two slow mo replays in a row. watch his shoulder, a muscle or something contracts/moves right as his arm is horizontal...or is it just lighting

After watching this again I think I agree with you. It appears it may have happened when he went up for the ball. His head hitting Cam doesn't appear to be the cause. I am not buying the contusion explanation. If he heard a "crack" that can be soft tissue damage (minor tear). I heard that same crack when I separated my ankle playing in a tournament. No broken bones. That was my ligaments.

P.S. If it's something structural like a rotator cuff? We are screwed. There is no healing from that in this playoffs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Suns can win a game in LA, the question whether they can get over the mental hurdle. Suns won much of game 1 without Chris Paul being able to shoot.

If Paul hasn't taught the Suns how to win it's a lesson lost.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think it’s impossible to say the culture hasn’t changed. We used to be the joke of the entire league. Even last year before we got CP3, we made moves to change that culture with the Monty hire and bubble. Last years off-season doubled down on changing the culture and Sarver spent to hammer that home.

losing to the Lakers at this point isn’t about culture. It’s about talent. They had more than us before the series and now that’s compounded incredibly by losing an MVP candidate.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns can win a game in LA, the question whether they can get over the mental hurdle. Suns won much of game 1 without Chris Paul being able to shoot.

If Paul hasn't taught the Suns how to win it's a lesson lost.

This. That to me is the real proof of a culture shift. Don't panic. Play your game. Many players contributed this season.

I think it’s impossible to say the culture hasn’t changed. We used to be the joke of the entire league. Even last year before we got CP3, we made moves to change that culture with the Monty hire and bubble. Last years off-season doubled down on changing the culture and Sarver spent to hammer that home.

losing to the Lakers at this point isn’t about culture. It’s about talent. They had more than us before the series and now that’s compounded incredibly by losing an MVP candidate.

The bubble play certainly was an indication of things shifting for sure. However, there is zero doubt CP3 is a huge part the makeup of this team this year that goes way above talent. This team hasn't panicked liked in previous years. They force their play on other teams. CP3 has been a calming force towards other players so many games this season. Leadership on the court is a big part of culture change.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns could have folded multiple times last night, and were a coin-flip to win with less than four minutes.

Unless they get just pummeled in the next three games, I would say the culture is there in spades.

same.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yeah, if we lose three more close games to the Lakers without our best player I don’t think we should feel bad at all.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This. That to me is the real proof of a culture shift. Don't panic. Play your game. Many players contributed this season.

Monty Williams and Chris Paul need to have a heart to heart talk with the team and get their head right.

No doubt losing Chris Paul for any amount of time hurts but they can't fold when a key player is out.

Good teams can refocus and win. Whether that's enough to win the series is unknown but the game is played on the court.

There is a reason Payne, Carter, Moore and Galloway are on the roster.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I say **** it. Unleash Carter and Galloway and hope for weirdness.

That's my take. They helped us get here. I would rather the team say they did everything they could to get over the CP3 injury than wonder....what if. If they play like crap pull them for the rest of the game and go back to your shortened rotation.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let's prove the naysayers wrong and let them eat cake that doesn't rise in Lakers world.

How in the hell is he so confident the way the Lakers have been playing?

Even if they beat the Suns they are not going to win the west.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How in the hell is he so confident the way the Lakers have been playing?

Even if they beat the Suns they are not going to win the west.

I don't put much confidence in sports media types that use hyperbole.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I say **** it. Unleash Carter and Galloway and hope for weirdness.

Yeah, no more Paul unless and until he can play up to his normal standards (or at least close to). Use Carter, Galloway and Moore to keep Booker's minutes down around 35. He can't play 40+ minutes like that again given the frequent doubling and the physical play. But I'd say leave "weirdness" on the bench unless that wasn't your pet nickname for Saric.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

It was definitely the hit from LeBron... Cam had nothing to do with the injury.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I am in favor of sitting CP3 for game 3. Give him more time to heal and rehab and see how he feels on Sunday...