State Of The Team

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think it's more nuanced.

PFF analysts can be reading certain plays wrong and bad teams tend to have lower ranked players because the guys next to them suck.

Example: The center was supposed to block the nose, but PFF gets it wrong an assigns the blown block to the guard. If that happened over and over, it lowers the guards grade.

The next season the team upgrades the center and lo and behold the guards grade jumps by ten points.

I've looked at their grades for some of the Cardinals good players and I thought their grade was too low from what I've seen. This would account for why that happens.
I don’t think he’s that much of a nuance guy.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it's more nuanced.

PFF analysts can be reading certain plays wrong and bad teams tend to have lower ranked players because the guys next to them suck.

Example: The center was supposed to block the nose, but PFF gets it wrong an assigns the blown block to the guard. If that happened over and over, it lowers the guards grade.

The next season the team upgrades the center and lo and behold the guards grade jumps by ten points.

I've looked at their grades for some of the Cardinals good players and I thought their grade was too low from what I've seen. This would account for why that happens.

I don’t think he’s that much of a nuance guy.

I literally said in one of my first posts on this that PFF measures performance, not ability, and that performance is influenced by a number of factors. For example, coaching and surrounding talent and that when using it as a tool you have to factor in context.

It's why I wanted Casey Hayward despite his poor grade last year. I don't think he suddenly forgot how to play football, or that he has suddenly physically declined from a CB capable of an 80+ grade in 2019 to one with a sub 60 grade in 2020.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
At this point in the offseason, it isn't about contract value. What we are paying him is irrelevant right now. We are 13 mil under the cap right now and don't seem to be looking to sign anyone. The idea of getting rid of our veteran depth to just have 19 mil in cap space is just not smart IMO. Until I have something else to spend that money on, it makes no sense to cut him.
Fair enough. I didn't realize we had 13 million left but I do know most of that will go to the rookies, at least I think? If the OLB from Duke has the motor the coaches think he does, I just feel like Kennard might be getting paid 6 million for not much. Yes, he's a rookie & Kennard is a veteran & provides depth so we shall see? I'm still not totally sold on the CB position right now, still feel like we need to add at least one more vet. June 1st there will be some more options after cuts are made. Trusting a rookie OLB to just rush the passer from the edge is a whole lot easier than the job of a rookie CB. I do hope our rookie CB's show us something though cause after 2021, our CB situation will be bad.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Fair enough. I didn't realize we had 13 million left but I do know most of that will go to the rookies, at least I think? If the OLB from Duke has the motor the coaches think he does, I just feel like Kennard might be getting paid 6 million for not much. Yes, he's a rookie & Kennard is a veteran & provides depth so we shall see? I'm still not totally sold on the CB position right now, still feel like we need to add at least one more vet. June 1st there will be some more options after cuts are made. Trusting a rookie OLB to just rush the passer from the edge is a whole lot easier than the job of a rookie CB. I do hope our rookie CB's show us something though cause after 2021, our CB situation will be bad.

I don't think anyone would disagree with a lower stipend for Kennard. However, it isn't simply about the rush (we have Golden for that) but rather holding the edge and contributing to the run defence. Kennard has experience at both OLB positions. Even after subtracting the rookie pool and possibly a dead-money hit (Hicks), we can still add another vet CB. There's little to nothing available on June 1. It's a bit of a relic fact and expression. Teams clean up rosters sooner now to give players a chance to find a new home.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think anyone would disagree with a lower stipend for Kennard. However, it isn't simply about the rush (we have Golden for that) but rather holding the edge and contributing to the run defence. Kennard has experience at both OLB positions. Even after subtracting the rookie pool and possibly a dead-money hit Hicks, we can still add another vet CB. There's little to nothing available on June 1. It's a bit of a relic fact and expression. Teams clean up rosters sooner now to give players a chance to find a new home.

I still think it's odds on the Kennard isn't with us at the start of the season. I understand what he can offer us in rotation and why he's still hanging around, but not for that money. Frankly, I'd rather role that money over for next year.

I think it depends on how Gardeck's recovery is going and how Dimukeje performs. Or if someone gets cut that the FO prefer. But I'd put it at 30/70 he's on the 53.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I don't see how if Stafford fails, that their jobs WON'T be in jeopardy.

The Rams have little room under the cap few premium draft picks and some looming roster issues.

As great as Snead did for a few seasons, his magic touch is starting to wear off a bit, and he doesn't have a Russell Wilson to make chicken salad out of chicken ****.

I mean because of pure nepotism?

His wife is best friends with Stafford's wife. The trade was predicated on them being friends at the expense of multiple first round picks. They went on vacation together as families.

Like @Shane I see big potential to mess up the locker room if Stafford under performs.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I still think it's odds on the Kennard isn't with us at the start of the season. I understand what he can offer us in rotation and why he's still hanging around, but not for that money. Frankly, I'd rather role that money over for next year.

I think it depends on how Gardeck's recovery is going and how Dimukeje performs. Or if someone gets cut that the FO prefer. But I'd put it at 30/70 he's on the 53.

If it's a football decision to part ways, I'm fine with that. However, the money is a bit irrelevant at this point, and it's the same cap hit if you cut him now or at end of the season.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to be a big PFF truther but I just couldn't defend them after last year's debacle of rankings. My guess is they laid off half their staff due to the pandemic.

I had intended to cancel but they just auto renewed me :(

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I used to be a big PFF truther but I just couldn't defend them after last year's debacle of rankings. My guess is they laid off half their staff due to the pandemic.

I had intended to cancel but they just auto renewed me :(

I subscribed just because I get the military discount and I wanted to see their rankings. I take them not as gospel, but one of many sources of info.

Sometimes some good insight, but sometimes some really dumb takes.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If it's a football decision to part ways, I'm fine with that. However, the money is a bit irrelevant at this point, and it's the same cap hit if you cut him now or at end of the season.

We save a whole bunch more with a post June 1st cut

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't think anyone would disagree with a lower stipend for Kennard. However, it isn't simply about the rush (we have Golden for that) but rather holding the edge and contributing to the run defence. Kennard has experience at both OLB positions. Even after subtracting the rookie pool and possibly a dead-money hit (Hicks), we can still add another vet CB. There's little to nothing available on June 1. It's a bit of a relic fact and expression. Teams clean up rosters sooner now to give players a chance to find a new home.
As long as we at least add a veteran CB I will feel better. My thoughts on Kennard are what they are, I thought it was a good signing at the time but he underperformed imo. Ok, he's there for depth, I got that part from the beginning. Maybe he plays better in 2021?

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I subscribed just because I get the military discount and I wanted to see their rankings. I take them not as gospel, but one of many sources of info.

Sometimes some good insight, but sometimes some really dumb takes.

i don’t use them as my main source, either. I have to count BritCard and Solar7 as my 2 main sources, with ouchie, dvontel, and stout running close behind. :pullhair::billthecat:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i don’t use them as my main source, either. I have to count BritCard and Solar7 as my 2 main sources, with ouchie, dvontel, and stout running close behind. :pullhair::billthecat:

I feel attacked...

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I wonder if Keim is going to try and duplicate the success NE had with unknown secondary in 2015 that included Malcolm Butler, Logan Ryan & Duran Harmon and little else at CB?

I don't see ARZ signing anyone else barring an unforeseen injury or unexpected notable cut.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Get better my friend, as they say father Time is undefeated. Getting old sucks but considering the alternative I'll take it.

So, I rather jinxed myself. Today was the "put 100 percent weight on my leg" day after seeing the doc for a checkup. After seeing the doc, I found the bone healed but the ligament didn't. Today turned into "you're having another surgery" day :(