Sorry if this is Elsewhere

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Tony Pauline, the real deal among these supposed gurus, says his sources say the Cards want Surtain, Horn or Waddle. Obviously that says trade. However, if one can’t be worked out he says the Cards are big on Zaven Collins, Tulsa LB.

My experience says Pauline is well connected and I suspect this info is on point. Collins may be a bit of a shocker, but word is he could be a big time pass rusher for years to come. He’s also a fine all around LB. Don’t let the failure with Reddick color your view of this prospect.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/...tulsa-lb-zaven-collins-with-first-round-pick/

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Give me Collins all day. A real OLB opposite Chandler, Someone to build a D with Budda and hopefully Simmons ... gosh I want to have the best D in the league with Kyler on O at some point a mediocre WR/TE coprse and an adequate OL will catapult you in the playoffs and from there...

I'm still an old school believer in Offense wins you game, defense Championships.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Collins reminds me of Leighton Vanderbilt Esch. He is surprisingly one of the best LBs in coverage and has great instincts. He is a rare prospect that makes plays rushing QB, dropping in coverage and making TFL’s in run game. He really seems to understand the game. Really fits the Patriots mold like Donta Hightower and Jamie Collins

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Tony Pauline, the real deal among these supposed gurus, says his sources say the Cards want Surtain, Horn or Waddle. Obviously that says trade. However, if one can’t be worked out he says the Cards are big on Zaven Collins, Tulsa LB.

My experience says Pauline is well connected and I suspect this info is on point. Collins may be a bit of a shocker, but word is he could be a big time pass rusher for years to come. He’s also a fine all around LB. Don’t let the failure with Reddick color your view of this prospect.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/...tulsa-lb-zaven-collins-with-first-round-pick/
Agree on Pauline.

Worse players we could take over Collins. Some great 3-4 teams love taking LBs early and often.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
With Trey Lance potentially coming to the Niners, I wouldn’t mind the Cards drafting him.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
PFF on Collins:

"He consistently made plays in coverage, with four picks and a pass breakup in only eight games. His best attribute when projecting to the next level, though, is what he can do as a blitzer — running backs aren’t blocking this dude. He’s going to be high on any blitz-heavy team’s draft board and will wreak havoc on opposing offenses."

i think the bolded part is maybe why the Cards / Vance are reportedly high on him

a LB group of Golden / Simmons / Collins / CJ gives the D two ILBs who could drop and cover or blitz

lots of flexibility over three downs

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I have a feeling the Collins goes to the Giants at pick #11. The Giants were rumored to be really high on Isaiah Simmons, but ultimately took the tackle. Collins fits as a similar type of player.

I would be totally stoked if Collins is the pick for the Big Red.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really like Collins, I posted about him here way back at the start of draft season as one of my favorite players.

If has played predominantly off ball MLB, although Tulsa did move him up the the edge in some situations.

I think he would be superb opposite CJ in the role Reddick had last year. That OLB role has more responsibility for dropping into coverage and playing contain. Collins could excel there with his combination of size and speed.

He's a smart dude too. I wouldn't complain if we took him at #16. if all corners are gone.

We really need to add to this defense. You want to take pressure off Kyler? Then give him a defense he can rely on so he doesn't have to play hero every drive.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The CB position has so much bust potential, that is scares me to trade up, spend draft capital in the process, and draft a CB. I KNOW we need one, but would rather not trade up if we don’t have to. Problem is that we may have to.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess if you have a GREAT front 7 they will make your db’s much better.
The more I think about it a cb will take a couple of years to develop and probably won’t add much this year. Maybe a huge edge rusher or a LB. like Collins would be the prudent move.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
What I like about these top players

1 - Kyle Pitts has a little versatility and Kyler has shown a preference to throw high to big WRs. Pitts has Mike Evans type skills and offers plus blocking skills for a WR (not a TE).

2 - Ja'Marr Chase has nice RAC skill set but has shown he can plat outside. Can do a lot of different things but if you look at the missed opportunities of Kirk across the middle last year, Chase has a more aggressive run style.

3 - Jaylen Waddle can come in as a niche player and get adjusted to the league on offense while impacting the roster as a return man. Lots of value there and offers a speed element that our offense lacks. He shows the skill set to do more as well which gives him even more potential.

4 Rashawn Slater has an ability to start across the line. He is technically sound. Whether it is LG, RG, RT or LT Slater can fit anywhere and would give us a long term option on the line.

5 - Same for AVT.

6 - Sewell would be more of a RT option behind Beachum for year 1 but would give a nice pair of bookends hopefully long term. Probably would mean Jones sticks inside.

7 - Horn is a physical, press man CB. Similar attitude to Malcolm Butler and would not back down physically in the NFC West.

8 - Same for Surtain.

9 - Zaven Collins offers versatility as an off-ball LB. Great thing is that he is comfortable playing in space which is the problem with most larger LBs. His skill set would keep him on the field so you would be getting snap value. Probably limited impact year 1 outside of injury with Golden, Hicks and Jones on the roster. Off the wall opportunity would be if Cardinals put Simmons at SS in base and took Hicks off the field in sub. Doubt it would happen but it would work in theory. Would be a very Kuechly/Davis duo and the middle of the field would be covered for the foreseable future with Baker as well.

10 - Kwity Paye is very Melvin Ingram-esque who went to a 3-4 team at 18 over all. Vance may like longer EDGE players but Paye would be primed to take over for Golden or Jones and is very athletic and very physical. I prefer longer EDGE guys, but Paye's size comps to Golden with more athleticism and not having to start right away are intriguing. 6'2 262 4.52 40 and 35.5 vert. His 3 cone is superb. 36 reps at the bench.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I guess if you have a GREAT front 7 they will make your db’s much better.
The more I think about it a cb will take a couple of years to develop and probably won’t add much this year. Maybe a huge edge rusher or a LB. like Collins would be the prudent move.

Except that just sets the clock back on addressing the development of the CB position. I don't want us to punt on the position in the draft.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Except that just sets the clock back on addressing the development of the CB position. I don't want us to punt on the position in the draft.
Totally get your point and I agree. However, a CB will probably not contribute in a major way as a rookie. With the apparent attitude with Keim of “ Going all in” I’m kinda getting the feeling we are going to draft a player that can have the biggest impact this year.
Truth be said if we get a great player it will be the right player.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Totally get your point and I agree. However, a CB will probably not contribute in a major way as a rookie. With the apparent attitude with Keim of “ Going all in” I’m kinda getting the feeling we are going to draft a player that can have the biggest impact this year.
Truth be said if we get a great player it will be the right player.

Yeah, but he's really, REALLY set us up for failure next year, and I don't see us succeeding at all with this "all in" effort. I'd rather have a bit more of the future certain, honestly.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

Harry, question, if both Parsons and Collins are there at 16 who do you pick?