Poll: RB Situation

What do we need at RB?

• Yes, in the 1st or 2nd round as a potential starter

Votes: 41 55.4%
  • Only draft one in the 5th round or beyond

Votes: 10 13.5%
  • Package picks/players to move into the 3rd/4th for an RB (which picks/players?)

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Only look at the UDFA market

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • A free agent to compete for the starter spot with Edmonds (please name)

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • A free agent to be a clear backup, Edmonds unquestioned starter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A combination of 5th or later pick/UDFA/FAs for depth, Edmonds unquestioned starter

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • Trade for our starter/competition with Edmonds

• Do not add any players at the position, we're set, Edmonds is the starter

• Total voters

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
I’m on board with drafting Williams in round 2 if he’s there. I get and understand the value of positions but if he can help this team win football games next year that’s all that matters. As a fan, I couldn’t care less if he’s on the team seven years from now if he helps them make it to the playoffs next year or the year after.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I would love Etienne or Najee Harris in round 2 (unlikely they’d still be there).

With that said, and this might sound crazy, but would it be the end of the world to just roll with Chase, Eno, and Jonathan Ward who looked good scoring that TD in week 17?

We essentially have no idea if Eno and Ward are ballers. I’m not just following the logic, “they must not be good because the coaches didn’t play them.”

We also kept starting Andy Isabella and not giving chances to guys like Trent Sherfield who could actually catch the ball. We never gave Vallejo a chance even though he shined in his limited snaps. We started Streveler over Hundley who has actually won us a game. We kept Simmons on the bench even though by the end of the year he already looked like one of our best players on the field when he actually got to play. For all we know Jonathan Ward can ball but he’s buried on the depth chart.

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
RBs are a dime a dozen.

I sign a cheap one in FA to complement Edmonds and draft one or two with a couple of our later picks. Then bring in some more via UDFA. Throw them all against the wall and see what sticks.
EXACTLY. If we fail to sign a cheap FA I think we should pick up a big back like Rhamondre Stevenson in the later rounds to compliment Edmonds.
What I've got to ask is - if RBs are a dime a dozen, why haven't the Cardinals had more than 6 RBs who have eclipsed 700 yards in a season in the 33 years they've been in AZ?

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Trade down or get back into the third round somehow. Need picks in the first three rounds. CB, Speed WR, RB please

Reaction score
What I've got to ask is - if RBs are a dime a dozen, why haven't the Cardinals had more than 6 RBs who have eclipsed 700 yards in a season in the 33 years they've been in AZ?
Just to point out the counter argument; because the Cardinals haven't had an O-Line ever during those 33 years that was above mediocre. . .

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to point out the counter argument; because the Cardinals haven't had an O-Line ever during those 33 years that was above mediocre. . .

The 2015 13-3 team had a very good offensive line. They used to keep Palmer clean in the pocket and literally every running back from old man River Chris Johnson to rookie David Johnson had holes to run through all season.

other than that... yeah, not much.

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
And do we now?

It's not bad, but I wouldn't argue it's a strength either.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
That’s because we have always had bad Olines

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would love Etienne or Najee Harris in round 2 (unlikely they’d still be there).

With that said, and this might sound crazy, but would it be the end of the world to just roll with Chase, Eno, and Jonathan Ward who looked good scoring that TD in week 17?

We essentially have no idea if Eno and Ward are ballers. I’m not just following the logic, “they must not be good because the coaches didn’t play them.”

We also kept starting Andy Isabella and not giving chances to guys like Trent Sherfield who could actually catch the ball. We never gave Vallejo a chance even though he shined in his limited snaps. We started Streveler over Hundley who has actually won us a game. We kept Simmons on the bench even though by the end of the year he already looked like one of our best players on the field when he actually got to play. For all we know Jonathan Ward can ball but he’s buried on the depth chart.

Yes, I think it would be.

I don't think Eno or Ward are good enough. We need at least one more real NFL back.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Why? Mostly because they have had CRAP offensive lines. Thomas Jones was a very good RB, as was Garrison Hearst. Guys like Michael Pittman, Marcel Shipp, and a few others from that era were good enough to get to around 1000. What you see if you look at the team, year-to-year, is that it's been exceedingly rare that the team had the OL to consistently run the ball.

For all of Kingsbury's critics, his offense has produced two of the best rushing attacks in Cardinals' history. DJ Humphries is a top 5 left tackle, Pugh is a good LG, and Beachum is a serviceable right tackle. With Hudson, this line should take off.

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Why? Mostly because they have had CRAP offensive lines. Thomas Jones was a very good RB, as was Garrison Hearst. Guys like Michael Pittman, Marcel Shipp, and a few others from that era were good enough to get to around 1000. What you see if you look at the team, year-to-year, is that it's been exceedingly rare that the team had the OL to consistently run the ball.

For all of Kingsbury's critics, his offense has produced two of the best rushing attacks in Cardinals' history. DJ Humphries is a top 5 left tackle, Pugh is a good LG, and Beachum is a serviceable right tackle. With Hudson, this line should take off.

Thanks, I didn't expect to spit out my drink this morning.

Also, you realize we were the 2nd to last in rushing from the RB position last year? Kenyan Drake's YPC ranked 41st with qualified rushers over 500 yards.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Thanks, I didn't expect to spit out my drink this morning.

Also, you realize we were the 2nd to last in rushing from the RB position last year? Kenyan Drake's YPC ranked 41st with qualified rushers over 500 yards.
I am curious what teams you think have better offensive lines than us at this moment? Be careful, it might be a trap.

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Browns
Packers
Rams
Colts
Saints
49ers
Bills
Bucs
Chargers now

Probably more, call me after the draft.

DJ is above average and has certainly improved his stock (but not top 5), Pugh is meh and would have been cut without a pay cut, Hudson is very good, RG is a complete question mark at this point, RT is kind of a question mark but is adequate.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Browns
Packers
Rams
Colts
Saints
49ers
Bills
Bucs
Chargers now

Probably more, call me after the draft.

DJ is above average and has certainly improved his stock (but not top 5), Pugh is meh and would have been cut without a pay cut, Hudson is very good, RG is a complete question mark at this point, RT is kind of a question mark but is adequate.
Patriots
Browns
Colts
Cowboys
Eagles
Saints
Bucs

and that is it.

The Rams line is not close.

Chargers line has 1 player better than DJ Humphries and three players worse than Kelvin Beachum.

Bills have no one as good as Hudson and their best player is arguable with Humphries.

Packers line is not as good.

Our offensive line is top 1/3 of the NFL and arguably top 10. You are mailing in these takes at this point.

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Patriots
Browns
Colts
Cowboys
Eagles
Saints
Bucs

and that is it.

The Rams line is not close.

Chargers line has 1 player better than DJ Humphries and three players worse than Kelvin Beachum.

Bills have no one as good as Hudson and their best player is arguable with Humphries.

Packers line is not as good.

Our offensive line is top 1/3 of the NFL and arguably top 10. You are mailing in these takes at this point.
I'll admit to not sitting down and breaking down film of every team's offensive line, but I certainly know I haven't read top 5 acclaim for DJ Humphries anywhere in my life before, and right now the right side of our line doesn't even have firm starters, so I find it hard to proclaim we've made it.

I respect your opinion here, and know you've been a coach and such, which I haven't, I've just been a bad high school football player, but I'm going to need to hear this from a lot more professionals who cover the league before I accept us as a top 10 line, or Humphries anywhere near the top 5.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I take that with a bowl of salt as it’s not a traditional pound you running attack when the QB is responsible for very large percentage of that rushing. In other words we are not a good running team from the rb slot necessarily.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I'll admit to not sitting down and breaking down film of every team's offensive line, but I certainly know I haven't read top 5 acclaim for DJ Humphries anywhere in my life before, and right now the right side of our line doesn't even have firm starters, so I find it hard to proclaim we've made it.

I respect your opinion here, and know you've been a coach and such, which I haven't, I've just been a bad high school football player, but I'm going to need to hear this from a lot more professionals who cover the league before I accept us as a top 10 line, or Humphries anywhere near the top 5.
It is more the collection of talent as much as anything. That is why I said it was a bit of a trap.

Humphries is a top 12 LT.
Pugh a top 12 LG.
Hudson a top 5 C.
RG - meh
Beachum a top 16 RT.

And those are fairly conservative ranks. So, we have 1 elite player, 2 above average player, 1 average player and one bottom half spot. That is a pretty impressive collection of talent that most teams just do not have.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It is more the collection of talent as much as anything. That is why I said it was a bit of a trap.

Pugh a top 12 LG.
Hudson a top 5 C.
RG - meh
Beachum a top 16 RT.

And those are fairly conservative ranks. So, we have 1 elite player, 2 above average player, 1 average player and one bottom half spot. That is a pretty impressive collection of talent that most teams just do not have.
I question the rankings of Pugh and particularly beachum but have neither the time nor inclination to research them.

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

Pugh a top 12 LG.
Hudson a top 5 C.
RG - meh
Beachum a top 16 RT.

I'm kinda with Ouchie, I don't know where these ranks are coming from, but I don't really want to hunt them down. My fear is that this is all based off of PFF grades.

I'm not going to split hairs too much on Humphries but I'm imagining that when preseason ranks come out, professionals will have him more in the 15 range.

I don't think the Cardinals would be considering the cut of a top 12 guard in a league that starts 64 of them a week.

Hudson, no argument.

I also don't see this with Beachum. He was considered like the 10th best tackle in free agency, so it's hard for me to call him a top 16 guy.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I question the rankings of Pugh and particularly beachum but have neither the time nor inclination to research them.
You would shocked at the list of starting LGs in the NFL. Ereck Flowers and Jon Feliciano and Connor Williams are all probably top 16.

In regards to Beachum...kinda depends on how you view Billy Turner and Braden Smith.

Last edited:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I'm kinda with Ouchie, I don't know where these ranks are coming from, but I don't really want to hunt them down. My fear is that this is all based off of PFF grades.

I'm not going to split hairs too much on Humphries but I'm imagining that when preseason ranks come out, professionals will have him more in the 15 range.

I don't think the Cardinals would be considering the cut of a top 12 guard in a league that starts 64 of them a week.

Hudson, no argument.

I also don't see this with Beachum. He was considered like the 10th best tackle in free agency, so it's hard for me to call him a top 16 guy.
Top 12 LG not OG. And he wasn't getting cut because he wasn't good...it was because it would save 9 mil. Even with the cut, Pugh's average per year is 8th highest for NFL LGs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA