Poll: RB Situation

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Solar7, Mar 25, 2021.

What do we need at RB?

1. Yes, in the 1st or 2nd round as a potential starter

41 vote(s)
    55.4%
  2. Only draft one in the 5th round or beyond

10 vote(s)
    13.5%
  3. Package picks/players to move into the 3rd/4th for an RB (which picks/players?)

9 vote(s)
    12.2%
  4. Only look at the UDFA market

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  5. A free agent to compete for the starter spot with Edmonds (please name)

5 vote(s)
    6.8%
  6. A free agent to be a clear backup, Edmonds unquestioned starter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. A combination of 5th or later pick/UDFA/FAs for depth, Edmonds unquestioned starter

7 vote(s)
    9.5%
  8. Trade for our starter/competition with Edmonds

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Do not add any players at the position, we're set, Edmonds is the starter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Krangthebrain

Krangthebrain Captain of Team Murray

How you get yards doesn't really matter.

2. Krangthebrain

Krangthebrain Captain of Team Murray

I don't know what to tell you. I'm not a PFF guy by any stretch, but they saw and I saw (and many other Cardinals fans and the vast majority of this board) a top tackle.

Rankings are man man made, unless you go by stats entirely, it's all subjective.

And for the other quote, cool story bro. The Cardinals had the seventh ranked rushing offense in the NFL. That is fact. And they were 4th in rushing TDs. Does it REALLY matter how they got there?

3. DVontel

DVontel Registered

I’d be fine with JaVonte in the 2nd. I won’t be heartbroken if he’s already gone, but I’d be fine @Solar7 @Krangthebrain

oaken1, Krangthebrain and Solar7 like this.
  4. Solar7

Solar7 Meh

The vast majority of this board horribly overrates the players on our team and makes excuses at every turn for a team who hasn't had a winning season in half a decade, so I don't look for objective takes here.

And yes, it REALLY matters when we're counting on Kyler to play hero ball to have a chance to be in games, and the instant he's slightly banged up and can't run, the offense sputters. Y'know, like the main reason we went 2-5 to end the season and missed the playoffs?

oaken1, Shane and Ouchie-Z-Clown like this.
  5. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

Naw, the reason no one brought it up is bc marshawn was putting up 1200-1600 yards rushing per season, they were a power running team and no one questioned if they could pick up a tough yard.

6. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Not true. If we have a short yardage situation can we rely on a power running game? Nope. Showed that over and over last season. In end of game situations when trying to run out the clock, when the opponent knows you’re going to run, can we enforce our will and shove it down their throat to end a game? Nope. So you can tiptoe and dance bc kyler is an amazing rushing QB but no one considers the Cardinals a “running team” - not in the traditional sense. And kylers rushing doesn’t negate the need to have a good running back. In fact, if you’re relying on that from kyler you’re actually nullifying one of the things that makes him great bc instead of his rushing being a huge bonus you’re just relying on it to patch a hole you have at RB.

phillycard, oaken1 and Solar7 like this.
  7. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ideally over time kyler would run less to better ensure fewer hits and less risk of injury, so yeah it does.

oaken1 and Solar7 like this.
  8. DVontel

DVontel Registered

Leaning off topic just a wee bit, but if JaVonte is gone in the 2nd, I think we should go Pat Freiermuth.

Krangthebrain, Stout and cardncubfan like this.
  9. Waysouth

Waysouth Registered

I wonder if now that the Bucs have signed Fournett if they would be willing to trade Ronald Jones? Jones can’t be happy with the signing.

10. BullheadCardFan

BullheadCardFan Go for it Contributor

It does

A lot of the yards a mobile QB gets is scrambling when the blocking breaks down.

So has nothing to do with good blocking by the Oline

11. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

Feel like that’s a pretty specious comparison. Lynch was one of the best running backs in the league and was the bell cow the entire offense was built around and there was only one year where Russ ran for anything near what Kyler did last year. Thats a much different scenario than we had last year where Kyler was making magic on broken plays. We saw when he was hurt and not doing that that we couldn’t rely on the run, grinding to a crawl against Seattle, NE and not being nearly effective in the last 7 games of the year.

I mean, we were able to just MASH people when Kyler was healthy and looking like mighty mouse making chicken salad out of chickenish when he was a threat on every play to the tune of 168 yard per game on the ground in the first 9 games. After he got hurt, our rushing game plummeted to 67 yards per game to 102 yards per. That says to me the O-line wasn't really all that great at estbalishing the line of scrimmage when it was time to smash mouth the ball and our ranking was more a function of Kyler freestyling out there in the first half when totally healthy.

that said, I think they were probably about league average as a strict run blocking unit last year and expect them to be flat out good this season with the addition of Hudson.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
    Krangthebrain likes this.
  12. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

man... did they lose ANYONE? You never see a Super Bowl team with that many big (hell and little) ticket guys become FA bring almost everyone back.

13. Stout

Stout Hold onto the ball, Murray!

As a Penn State fan, I would be a fan of that pick.

Krangthebrain likes this.
  14. oaken1

oaken1 Stone Cold

Because offensive line has been a problem here for decades.....
    Then...... pass happy coaches

just ask Thesmal

15. Ouchie-Z-Clown

I don’t think he makes it to 49