Poll: RB Situation

What do we need at RB?

• Yes, in the 1st or 2nd round as a potential starter

Votes: 41 55.4%
  • Only draft one in the 5th round or beyond

Votes: 10 13.5%
  • Package picks/players to move into the 3rd/4th for an RB (which picks/players?)

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Only look at the UDFA market

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • A free agent to compete for the starter spot with Edmonds (please name)

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • A free agent to be a clear backup, Edmonds unquestioned starter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A combination of 5th or later pick/UDFA/FAs for depth, Edmonds unquestioned starter

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • Trade for our starter/competition with Edmonds

• Do not add any players at the position, we're set, Edmonds is the starter

• Total voters

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Get a RB.... draft is fine... round 5? Round 1? I don’t care
Y’all bitch about positional value all the time then turn around and bitch because Keon suxx at drafting....
To hell with positional value.... draft some players that make our team better and will continue to do so for the next several years

if there is a RB at 16 who will force our opponents to account for him on every down then pick him

I’m just tired of coming away from the draft with nothing

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Leaning off topic just a wee bit, but if JaVonte is gone in the 2nd, I think we should go Pat Freiermuth.
Sorry can’t get excited about Freiermuth though many have him going at about this point. He’s the second ranked TE in a very shallow pool. He’s a mediocre blocker and a best an adequate short range receiver. I wouldn’t spend a second on him. He’s competitive, but that’s his best trait.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would love Etienne or Najee Harris in round 2 (unlikely they’d still be there).

With that said, and this might sound crazy, but would it be the end of the world to just roll with Chase, Eno, and Jonathan Ward who looked good scoring that TD in week 17?

We essentially have no idea if Eno and Ward are ballers. I’m not just following the logic, “they must not be good because the coaches didn’t play them.”

We also kept starting Andy Isabella and not giving chances to guys like Trent Sherfield who could actually catch the ball. We never gave Vallejo a chance even though he shined in his limited snaps. We started Streveler over Hundley who has actually won us a game. We kept Simmons on the bench even though by the end of the year he already looked like one of our best players on the field when he actually got to play. For all we know Jonathan Ward can ball but he’s buried on the depth chart.

The same with Brett Hundley. The logic has never connected for me.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Right....so with better blocking, the Cardinals should be a damn good running team. We should expect top 5.
Better blocking and Murray’s runs needing to accounted for definitely should make our running game better. But chase, be Jamin and ward just isn’t a professional rb room.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Sorry can’t get excited about Freiermuth though many have him going at about this point. He’s the second ranked TE in a very shallow pool. He’s a mediocre blocker and a best an adequate short range receiver. I wouldn’t spend a second on him. He’s competitive, but that’s his best trait.
So he’s not the second coming of gronk. Pass.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What about Brevin Jordan?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Better blocking and Murray’s runs needing to accounted for definitely should make our running game better. But chase, be Jamin and ward just isn’t a professional rb room.

Wolfley keeps pointing out how teams started defending the RPO...basically just assume Murray is keeping it and the rest of their D could handle the run blockers up front. I think Wolfley is correct, ditch the RPO as a common play.

I like what Ive seen of Ward. His college tape looks pretty good and his lone touch was for a TD. I wouldn't be made about him being the #3 back.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Wolfley keeps pointing out how teams started defending the RPO...basically just assume Murray is keeping it and the rest of their D could handle the run blockers up front. I think Wolfley is correct, ditch the RPO as a common play.

I like what Ive seen of Ward. His college tape looks pretty good and his lone touch was for a TD. I wouldn't be made about him being the #3 back.
I wouldn’t be upset if they trashed the RPO, or at least trotted it out much less frequently. It’s become much more commonplace in the league and this defenses are much better prepared for it now. Still leave Murray the greenlight to run, or even have designed fake drop QB run plays.

that said, I’m good with either ward or eno as a #3, but right now they are our #2, and that’s behind an unproven #1. That’s a recipe for failure imo.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Goal, as I see it is -

To wind up with a bruiser plus backup and a pass catcher (Edmonds) plus backup. That would give us:

220 lb smashmouth type
220 lb backup bruiser

Edmonds
Backup to Edmonds as a pass-catching RB.

We'd let opposing matchups determine who we use/when. If we draaft or sign more of a multi-skilled RB, we might save a roster spot.

One more thing - We shouldn't let our need for RB talent determine who we do or don't draft or sign. We should fill our RB needs opportunistically, assess who's out there and then cherrypick to fill the roster holes.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Right....so with better blocking, the Cardinals should be a damn good running team. We should expect top 5.

With better blocking AND MORE THAN CHOPPED LIVER AT RB, we can hope to be top 10, probably. A great OL doesn't elevate Chase to excellence. Regardless of what the majority of this board feels, you don't just automatically get a good back in the late rounds. If we don't at least upgrade, we will at best be middling.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
With better blocking AND MORE THAN CHOPPED LIVER AT RB, we can hope to be top 10, probably. A great OL doesn't elevate Chase to excellence. Regardless of what the majority of this board feels, you don't just automatically get a good back in the late rounds. If we don't at least upgrade, we will at best be middling.

Drake wasn't good last year. So I don't know why you think it will be so hard to replace him.

FYI, I'm in the draft a RB in round 2-3 camp. And if nothing is there, sign a veteran post-draft. James Connor is on par with Drake. I'd sign him if the Cardinals don't get a guy in the draft.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Drake wasn't good last year. So I don't know why you think it will be so hard to replace him.

FYI, I'm in the draft a RB in round 2-3 camp. And if nothing is there, sign a veteran post-draft. James Connor is on par with Drake. I'd sign him if the Cardinals don't get a guy in the draft.

Gotcha. I'm not worried about replacing Drake, because we need to get better, not replicate the sub-par play at the position. As for Connor--no way. He's made of papier-mâché. I'd take him as a backup, as he'd complement Edmonds, but we'd still need a #1.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I do not care what anyone says, but talent is talent regardless of position and if you think some late round guy is going to give you the same bang for your buck, you are only fooling yourself. I would draft one in round 1, with probably then having the choice of the top two on the board. Who cares about shelf life and second contracts when our QB rookie window makes that irrelevant

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Most of the above haha I think it’s priority we need a primary weapon like gsot and Faulk in this offense, if it takes 2 backs to equal one Faulk - we need a stud bruiser in the 1st round - chase can try to be the lightning. I think wrs are a dime a dozen but not bell cow backs.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Gotcha. I'm not worried about replacing Drake, because we need to get better, not replicate the sub-par play at the position. As for Connor--no way. He's made of papier-mâché. I'd take him as a backup, as he'd complement Edmonds, but we'd still need a #1.
I was thinking the same thing. I keep seeing the argument “he’s replaceable.” Seems a low target. We should be trying to improve, no?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Right. I'm with you on improvement, but if the opportunity isn't right, there are guys you can platoon with Edmonds and get by.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. I keep seeing the argument “he’s replaceable.” Seems a low target. We should be trying to improve, no?

Well the thinking is that line improvement along with improvements in the passing game should also make the run more of a threat.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Well the thinking is that line improvement along with improvements in the passing game should also make the run more of a threat.
I don’t see many options remaining that are replacement level for drake at this juncture, so unless we draft someone who shines, in all likelihood the position will actually take a step back which likely means with an improved line (I’m not granting an improved passing game with what I see as a small step forward swapping AJ for Fitz and a step back with replacing Arnold with nobody) the run game likely treads water or even recedes slightly.

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I would take BPA rounds 1 and 2. Grab Trey Sermon with one of the round 5-7 picks.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would prefer moving down with the 2nd round pick to hopefully pick up an additional third or fourth and then select an RB with the 3rd or 4th round pick.

It seems to me those are the optimal rounds to select RB's. Typically 6th round or later backs rarely are able to produce, but 3rd - 5th often are able to have some success. This is usually due to all of the most physically able being off the board by the 5th round in a typical draft.

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA