Poll: RB Situation

What do we need at RB?

• Yes, in the 1st or 2nd round as a potential starter

Votes: 41 55.4%
  • Only draft one in the 5th round or beyond

Votes: 10 13.5%
  • Package picks/players to move into the 3rd/4th for an RB (which picks/players?)

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Only look at the UDFA market

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • A free agent to compete for the starter spot with Edmonds (please name)

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • A free agent to be a clear backup, Edmonds unquestioned starter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A combination of 5th or later pick/UDFA/FAs for depth, Edmonds unquestioned starter

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • Trade for our starter/competition with Edmonds

• Do not add any players at the position, we're set, Edmonds is the starter

• Total voters

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Okay, I have to admit I'm finding this subject maddening. I feel like the general vibe is very much against upgrading the RB position in any meaningful way.

How do you actually feel? What's your reasoning behind it?

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't really fall into any specific poll answer camp.
I think this system makes the RB position far less valuable. Because of Kyler's running and the quick passing game, any RB can function effectively. Edmonds has proven he can handle the duty when needed. However, I don't really see him as a clear cut starter. I think he is better suited as a rotational piece with another RB. I see more of a 1 and 1A type RB situation. I would like to see us get a bigger goal line/short yardage type back to pair with Edmonds.
Not sure why Eno didn't get any carries. Maybe Etienne falls into Rd 2 but I don't think we need to draft a RB high unless they are absolute BPA.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Trade back in the 1st, acquire a 4th, then use that 4th to acquire a RB.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I want to get one in the draft, maybe 2 actually.

Probably trade down in the second and use the 3rd or 4th we get to draft one, than maybe one of the 7th rounders as well.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I say they draft an RB in first or second round and he becomes the starter. Do prefer the 2nd round.

Reactions: PJ1

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I figured either plenty of options or people would complain it was too simple.

I mean, a FA with experience would be nice, especially a bigger bodied one but a rookie RB could be good too and choosing the round to take them before you are even in the draft is kinda a weird thing. LEts go BPA 1st, need second. If one of the best guys available at one of your picks is an RB and he will fit and have more impact than another position, get em.

We probably need two more RB anyway.
it's all pretty basic.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
RBs are a dime a dozen.

I sign a cheap one in FA to complement Edmonds and draft one or two with a couple of our later picks. Then bring in some more via UDFA. Throw them all against the wall and see what sticks.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I really want a top tier running back from the 2nd round. 2nd half of last year, after teams focused on taking away Murrays option, it felt like 3rd and 1 was harder to convert than 3rd and 10. I remember in the NE and Miami losses we couldn't convert crucial 3rd/4th and 1s. Having a real weapon at RB, that teams have to account for, will make it so they cant just focus in on taking away Murrays running.

We saw Edmonds as the bell cow and he got slightly over 2 yards per carry.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I mean, a FA with experience would be nice, especially a bigger bodied one but a rookie RB could be good too and choosing the round to take them before you are even in the draft is kinda a weird thing. LEts go BPA 1st, need second. If one of the best guys available at one of your picks is an RB and he will fit and have more impact than another position, get em.

We probably need two more RB anyway.
it's all pretty basic.
Well, obviously I don't want to reach either, but assuming relatively similar value between multiple players at a certain spot. If Devonta Smith is there in the 2nd round for some reason, of course we wouldn't go RB. But if it's a reasonably placed 2nd round OL player or RB and we have the chance to take Harris/Etienne/Williams, I think going RB is a no-brainer.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Sorry, I know this sounds like a cop out. This is situational. It depends on who’s available when they pick. Normally I wouldn’t take an RB in the first 2 rounds but if by some stroke of fortune they could move down in round one getting Harris or Williams was there in round two I’d consider it a reasonable option. However if I could get a top 3 corner in round one or a quality receiver in two I’d prefer that.

TK421

Veteran
Reaction score
RBs are a dime a dozen.

I sign a cheap one in FA to complement Edmonds and draft one or two with a couple of our later picks. Then bring in some more via UDFA. Throw them all against the wall and see what sticks.

EXACTLY. If we fail to sign a cheap FA I think we should pick up a big back like Rhamondre Stevenson in the later rounds to compliment Edmonds.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose