Should KK be on the Hot Seat??

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you miss the extended playoffs after starting the season 6-3 his seat should feel some heat, but there’s no way they’re firing him because that would mean they have to fire Keim too for having three coach’s in three years.

but I would after this season if things don’t turn around. Next year will just be another waste of a rookie contract. I’ve just seen very little in the way of growth from Kingsbury with issues that did t just nag from last year, but the more that I read, the more I realize plagued him as a HC coach in college as well.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I'm not really trying to pin the loss on anyone. I think that Kingsbury created a game plan that was designed to hold onto the ball, create extended drives, and keep the Pats offense off the field. For the most part that worked -- we had nearly 10 minutes' greater TOP.

I think this highlighted how dependent this offense can be on Kyler being 100%. Kyler and Kliff share the blame for that, because I don't think Kyler likes playing through adversity very much, and I think that Kliff is extremely focused on the long-term development of Murray, which has cost us 2-4 wins over the last two years.

Teams aren't afraid of Murray playing from the pocket yet. And for good reason, because Murray hasn't shown that he can beat teams from the pocket when his body is in Week 11 condition.

Agree with everything you say here... but you lost me on the bolded comment. I could be missing it, but what makes you think Kliff is so intensely focused on Kyler's long-term development? I mean, I guess any coach would be and Kliff has probably made comments to this effect. But what else? What has Kliff done in support of Kyler's long-term development that has cost us W's?
If it's his piss-poor play-calling and horrific game management, I believe this is just who Kliff is and that his play-calling and game management deficiencies are not a result of his protecting Kyler...

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
If you don't hire KK, you don't have K1.

Josh Rosen would still be sucking it up and we would all be upset about not having a QBOF.

Jeez people.
Is that a guarantee though? If Keim isn't just flatly lying, he said he was impressed with Kyler as soon as he turned on the tape.

Also, what good is a QBOF if we still can't play over .500 ball?

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
But the defense isn't really the problem right now. I have to begrudgingly admit Vance has done an adequate job with the bad hands dealt on the D-Line. I am not saying it's been great, but realative to the hand dealt its been okay.

Agreed. The defense has been playing better and I think VJ has adapted to the roster/adjusted the scheme.

If you miss the extended playoffs after starting the season 6-3 his seat should feel some heat, but there’s no way they’re firing him because that would mean they have to fire Keim too for having three coach’s in three years.

but I would after this season if things don’t turn around. Next year will just be another waste of a rookie contract. I’ve just seen very little in the way of growth from Kingsbury with issues that did t just nag from last year, but the more that I read, the more I realize plagued him as a HC coach in college as well.

The bolded part is the biggest one for me. He clearly made adjustments to his offense last year but I haven't seen that so far this year. Plus his decision making needs to get better or he needs to assign stuff like clock management to someone (like McVay does).

All in all...I think the good outweighs the bad.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Kliff's (and Vance to extent with his zone coverage) reaction to our injuries of late is a conservative approach which is understandable but the fly in the ointment is that this defense and this offense is only productive when they are overtly aggressive... a lot of that being predicated on the fact that we still do not have enough talent (including talent which is still maturating) especially on defense to play an opponent straight up and win

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
First KK is going nowhere for at least another season. Secondly, KK must have confidence in Gonzalez or he wouldn't be trotting him out there to attempt FGs. Thirdly, I seriously doubt there is any available kicker out there that is better than Gonzalez so we are stuck with him for the balance of the season.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
No one is happy right now, and I'm sure that includes Bidwill & Keim. But, there is no way KK is on the hot seat right now. If we lose out, that seat will no doubt be a hot one, but even then, KK will be back for a 3rd season. If we're not a playoff team in year 3, KK will be gone. Other than Wilks (train wreck in capital letters), that has been how MB operates.

If we lose out, he should be fired. No ifs, ands, or buts. Like, before he gets a free flight home. That would be, what, 10 losses with 1 win breaking them up? With that 1 win the "we needed a hail mary to win it" game? He should be as gonzo as our kicker at that point.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Agreed. The defense has been playing better and I think VJ has adapted to the roster/adjusted the scheme.

The bolded part is the biggest one for me. He clearly made adjustments to his offense last year but I haven't seen that so far this year. Plus his decision making needs to get better or he needs to assign stuff like clock management to someone (like McVay does).

All in all...I think the good outweighs the bad.
This is what drives me freaking crazy. How hard is it to assign the back up quarterback to play Clock duty?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Agree with everything you say here... but you lost me on the bolded comment. I could be missing it, but what makes you think Kliff is so intensely focused on Kyler's long-term development? I mean, I guess any coach would be and Kliff has probably made comments to this effect. But what else? What has Kliff done in support of Kyler's long-term development that has cost us W's?
If it's his piss-poor play-calling and horrific game management, I believe this is just who Kliff is and that his play-calling and game management deficiencies are not a result of his protecting Kyler...
Kliff designs his game plans to get Murray into a rhythm more than attacking the other team. If Kyler is uncomfortable, Kliff calls plays with quick primary reads to help settle him down or just flat out runs the ball. Kliff wears a lot of the offenses blame instead of saying his QB isn't executing. There is some coddling of Kyler that goes on that I don't feel people acknowledge.

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I was furious yesterday and I am still mad. But let’s really step back and hit the zoom out button. 2 years ago we were a disaster! Last year was bad but not the worst. This year honestly no one should complain based on what we all thought we would be. It is like criticizing Rocky Balboa for being a bad fighter. None of us thought we would be holding a playoff spot after 11 games!! In KK defense. He has played games in all honesty in ways we probably win 90% of the time. We get frustrated because it doesn’t work. But our kicker has missed 3 FGs that would have single handily win games. I mean if just the basic things happen we beat Detroit. Miami and New England. I can add 1 yard to 2 plays and we win yesterday. If Zane makes very makable kicks we beat Detroit and Miami. If the law avgs broke normal. We would have won those 3 and lost Buffalo. So we would be 8-3!! If I’m Kliff reading all this. I would say change 4 plays all season and we are 9-2 or 8-3. Everyone says Seattle is the best team or one of the best teams in the NFC. They have won 3 games this year on the last play. New England stopped at the 1. Minnesota a 4th down and 7 pass to the end zone for TD. And drove and Beat Miami the same way. The NFL is all about luck and 1 or 2 plays. If Brady doesn’t get some obscure Tuck rule call which obviously they dug up on the spot. Watch Minnesota and Carolina scoop 6 on first play. That was a tuck fumble. But Brady may not be Brady without that. The Raiders probably win another Super Bowl. If Holmes doesn’t make a miraculous catch. Or Pittsburgh get a 100 yard INT for a TD in the Super Bowl. We have a world championship. In all honesty we play better against better teams and we have been in every game this year except 1. Kliff shouldn’t be on the hot seat

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Players win games, coaches lose them. My fault, your mistake & so on. At the end of day the entire org needs to do some soul searching.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I say yes u cant keep losing to teams your suppose to beat... and also u can't lead lg in penalties

Don't know imo the cards look undisciplined

I'm just ranting angry and depressed over the past few should have won gms...

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Personally I think he is a net negative to the development of Kyler.

I'd fire him this week to be honest but I don't run a football team.

@BritCard had a great post that highlighted it but kliff is an unimaginative play caller with a fairly simple scheme and the inability to install wrinkles like motion and pre snap hot reads.

On top of it all, his team is undisciplined and poorly coached at all 3 phases fairly consistently at one point or another during a game.

I really don't see value holding on to him if he cannot develop Kyler murray because everything else about his coaching is trash

Nice guy, but horrible head coach

He designs great plays, but really lacks the ability to feel the game and call plays accordingly. We will usually see one or 2 drives a game, where things are clicking, but he has no idea how to keep it consistent.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If we lose out, he should be fired. No ifs, ands, or buts. Like, before he gets a free flight home. That would be, what, 10 losses with 1 win breaking them up? With that 1 win the "we needed a hail mary to win it" game? He should be as gonzo as our kicker at that point.
I agree with you that if he lost out, he should be fired. I just don’t think MB will do it unless the team flat out quits & we get embarrassed along the way. I personally think that K1 is not happy with KK right now. If that relationship goes further south, that will also doom Kingsbury’s stay in the desert.

Bkbobo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I thought KK watched all this film of college, xfl, etc. And was going to add some wrinkles to our offense. Been pretty vanilla so far. Wherever we end up this season, I hope during the off-season he takes some time to develop some innovated plays.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The one area I need to see more from Kliff and hold him accountable for.

1 - He needs to get the damn penalties fixed.

The others...meh. I would like to see him stop babying Kyler, but Kyler is inexperienced and very unrefined. It may just need to happen whether I like it or not. The play design is fine IMO which is why we are ranked offensively where we are despite Kyler's inconsistent play. I would like to see more pre-snap motion but I am guessing there is a reason he isn't using it as much as other teams.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man if cards lose out that be pathetic consdering they play giants eagles both winnable games but if its a 4th and 1 to ice gm qb sneak with murray!!

No more bum unclutch zane I'm tired of him

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Players win games, coaches lose them. My fault, your mistake & so on. At the end of day the entire org needs to do some soul searching.

I think this is a floating target at any point during the game. It could be any number of situations when added together which results in 50% coach and 50% players to blame. Every game is different, percentage of blame is different each week

DumboD

Rookie
Reaction score
No...at different times in the season, the Cards have impressed. And, as was pointed out, there's no reason to replace him unless there's someone available to hire who will give you better results. Let's face it...unless the team has a total meltdown....he's here to stay and probably until the team has a losing record. Mike McCarthy might be available though....

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
IF we win 2 more games - we have 8 wins this year.

That is as many wins as we have had the last two years combined.

And its the most win we have had since 2015.

I am not saying we couldn't have been better but jeez...we are heading in the right direction so far.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IF we win 2 more games - we have 8 wins this year.

That is as many wins as we have had the last two years combined.

And its the most win we have had since 2015.

I am not saying we couldn't have been better but jeez...we are heading in the right direction so far.

if we win only two more games the rest of the season, that means we will have gone 2-5 to end the year. That’s not trending positive. At that point, I think it’s safe to say jury is out and that it’s hard to say we’re moving in the right direction floundering down the stretch.

Collapsing down the stretch of any season calls into question exactly which way the team is headed.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
if we win only two more games the rest of the season, that means we will have gone 2-5 to end the year. That’s not trending positive. At that point, I think it’s safe to say jury is out and that it’s hard to say we’re moving in the right direction floundering down the stretch.

Collapsing down the stretch of any season calls into question exactly which way the team is headed.

Aside from the "hoped-for" development and refinement of Murray, what else gets you excited about what lies ahead for this team? D-Hop is great, but he will simply fill the void left by Fitz... is there any meaningful net-gain there?
Kirk is supposed to be our #2, but can we really get pumped about that???
Does Drake really get you excited??

On defense, our d-line has zero depth... At Linebacker, Hicks is solid and Simmons in coming on nicely. Budda is more than good enough at Safety, but line our d-line, there is zero depth there and at CB. It's virtually impossible to think PP21 will be back again in '21.

And then there is Kliffy Too Cool for School LuluLemon Kingsbury... I honestly don't see much here to get excited about at all...

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Aside from the "hoped-for" development and refinement of Murray, what else gets you excited about what lies ahead for this team? D-Hop is great, but he will simply fill the void left by Fitz... is there any meaningful net-gain there?
Kirk is supposed to be our #2, but can we really get pumped about that???
Does Drake really get you excited??

On defense, our d-line has zero depth... At Linebacker, Hicks is solid and Simmons in coming on nicely. Budda is more than good enough at Safety, but line our d-line, there is zero depth there and at CB. It's virtually impossible to think PP21 will be back again in '21.

And then there is Kliffy Too Cool for School LuluLemon Kingsbury... I honestly don't see much here to get excited about at all...
Edmonds’ rise.

Humphries playing above his contract.

Murphy steadily getting better.

Jalen when he’s not injured.

Those are things that at least I have gotten very excited about.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose