2020 Draft

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can't find the video but today I saw one where Penny said Wiseman as a senior in HS was better than Ayton as a senior in HS defensively, and he thinks he's vastly underrated offensively.

But again Penny is very biased, Penny is literally the reason the kid played only 3 college games, Penny paid him to change schools paid expenses etc and the NCAA ruled the kid ineligible.

FYI for those who wondered, the reason they were saying Edwards doesn't love basketball is he not only said it on tape, he told execs in interviews he "can't watch basketball games" and if an NFL team told him they would draft him, he'd go play football.

I don't fault the kid for feeling that way, but to say it in interviews is wild. How do you pick him #1 with that attitude?

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In all cases. I wouldn't be surprised if next week he announces he's "finally fully healthy" and ready to resume his playing career.
Yep. On other nostalgia, did you know that RealGM TRADE checker still lists the “rights to Milos” among our tradable assets?

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yep. On other nostalgia, did you know that RealGM TRADE checker still lists the “rights to Milos” among our tradable assets?

Nice find.

I remember that the Suns acquired his rights in the Marbury-trade. I guess its value may be limited since Vujanic retired 8 yaers ago.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
So, since we need a backup PG... kick the tires on Vujanic? ;)

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I was not expecting to say this, but I think Jalen Smith can play next to Ayton (as well as backing him up, obviously, as his primary role) as well as 4s with Saric size. I think he projects as a clear upgrade to Baynes.

His weaknesses seem to be mostly related to easily correctable issues like strength and close-out technique. He can guard in space, rim run, and shoot, and most importantly rim protect.

I can easily see him running pick and roll with Cam Payne/Rubio, and either picking or popping. I expect him to be a better shooter in fairly short order than Baynes.

His ORTG/DRTG splits at Maryland were incredible given how many minutes he played: 124/89. This suggests to me that he plugs leaks rather than springing them. It makes sense given his defensive versatility in space and hyper awareness around the basket, coupled with timing and above average athleticism.

I see a very clear runway for him to score in the NBA with good PnR guards, and he can play defense.

I think it’s ok to play another “big” next to Ayton as long as the other big can reliably spread the floor AND guard in space.

I’m not sure why Smith isn’t a top-5 guy on Suns’ boards.

9/4/19:
maybe I do know how Jones thinks!

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
9/4/19:
maybe I do know how Jones thinks!
Slow clap for you.

Smith does not seem to have any innate issues that might be a real hindrance to developement. He is long, athletic, has ball skills, has a high bball IQ, has a high work ethic. When you factor all of those things adding strength and some defensive perimeter skills should be doable.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Very good points but how you reached them more than a year ago is even more impressive.

lol I meant to say 9/4/20...not as good

but it wouldn’t have made any sense to talk about Smith without the benefit of his sophomore year stats either..

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think I'm there as well, though I wouldn't be upset if the pick was Smith, Achiuwa, Lewis or Saddiq Bey over Okoro or Vassell.

Bump. The only part that stings is that we passed on Haliburton.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
A LOT of teams passed on him!!
I heard there were concerns about his personality and the fact that he's not great in any one skill. Good, but not great. I don't know what the worry was. I was surprised that SA passed on him for Vassell.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I heard there were concerns about his personality and the fact that he's not great in any one skill. Good, but not great. I don't know what the worry was. I was surprised that SA passed on him for Vassell.
I could see the personality part if he did indeed tell teams not to draft him. If teams aren’t completely sold on his skills and he was asking teams to pass than they aren’t going to draft him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bump. The only part that stings is that we passed on Haliburton.

I liked Haliburton but the other player I was really attached is Precious Achiuwa who went 20 to the Heat.

Of the two big men that were available to the Suns it has always been Jalen Smith and Precious Achiuwa. I guess they will always be linked in my mind. He should have never fallen that far. I would have given almost anything to get both and the Suns front court would have been set for years.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I liked Haliburton but the other player I was really attached is Precious Achiuwa who went 20 to the Heat.

Of the two big men that were available to the Suns it has always been Jalen Smith and Precious Achiuwa. I guess they will always be linked in my mind. He should have never fallen that far. I would have given almost anything to get both and the Suns front court would have been set for years.
I would have taken Smith over Precious. I would have taken him over Pat Williams too. I would have liked Toppin more than Smith and Okongwu more too. But when you look at the numbers the difference between Smith and Okongwu is not large. Obi though would have been fantastic.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would have taken Smith over Precious. I would have taken him over Pat Williams too. I would have liked Toppin more than Smith and Okongwu more too. But when you look at the numbers the difference between Smith and Okongwu is not large. Obi though would have been fantastic.

I was looking at the players available to the Suns on draft night. Precious was right there after Smith in my book.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That is so shady. So this kid has the pull to tell teams to not pick him so he could go to... Sacramento? That doesn't seem very believable to me.

Yeah. I don't buy it. A projected mid to late lottery prospect doesn't have a lot of pull. He was born in Oshkosh WI, and went to Iowa State yet he pulled strings to go to Sacramento?