2020 Draft

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Low ceiling, high floor. The shot blocking is nice on paper but I think he is going to be a defensive liability at the 4 in the NBA. The good shooting stats across the board and solid rebounding are a bright spot.

It will be interesting to see how his feet develop in the NBA. Ayton’s got a lot better and that was a massive deal for his defensive value.

I don’t see him as a low ceiling guy. If he develops his shot he has Ibaka/JJJ vibes. Those are extremely valuable player types. At 10 that’s good value.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Man, it’s been kinda quiet around here since the Sun’s pick?
Where are you 1Sun? I’m anxious to hear your thoughts on this pick.
Like? Not like? Meh?

Or have I missed your post? Don’t think so.

I like Smith and don't mind the pick overall, but I don't like that they passed on Haliburton, and I fear that this means they are going to use their MLE on a back-up SG or SF and start Cam at PF, which I think is a huge mistake.

I think Smith can contribute immediately in limited minutes as a back-up 4/5, but what I like is his potential long term fit next to Ayton. He still has some developing to do, especially physically and especially with his lower body.

I am encouraged that Smith does not fit neatly into the James Jones box from last year, which means Jones no longer has tunnel vision.

That said, this was neither best case scenario nor worst case scenario. We still need a starting power forward.

If we could just find a way to bring in Ibaka, he not only would fit perfectly into our starting line-up, but he would also serve as an ideal model for Smith to develop his game.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how his feet develop in the NBA. Ayton’s got a lot better and that was a massive deal for his defensive value.

I don’t see him as a low ceiling guy. If he develops his shot he has Ibaka/JJJ vibes. Those are extremely valuable player types. At 10 that’s good value.
Man you’re overselling him as an ibaka/JJJ guy.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
obviously no one want to trade up

not sure why you don’t like James Jones he’s made some good moves

Really like what?

He has been a terrible GM overall.

Only move I think was a decent one was his trade down from 6 to 11 last year.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like Jalen Smith a lot. He is one of those players where the bubbles on Tankathon look really good. He also fills a need so he will get time to develop.

But I REALLY like Haliburton.

Oh well. Hope Hali doesn't turn out to be all world. Optimistic about Smith.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Seeing how the draft fell... picking up #16 and #25 for #10 would of been hella nice. I’m guessing Boston wasn’t interested enough in Haliburton or Vassell to make the trade though.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I like Jalen Smith a lot. He is one of those players where the bubbles on Tankathon look really good. He also fills a need so he will get time to develop.

But I REALLY like Haliburton.

Oh well. Hope Hali doesn't turn out to be all world. Optimistic about Smith.
I think this kid will be a fan favorite this year. When he hits a few threes I think he will turn heads. Going to force Cam to board more!! Should be some good practices between those two young guys this year!

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Really like what?

He has been a terrible GM overall.

Only move I think was a decent one was his trade down from 6 to 11 last year.

Signing Monty, signing Jamal Crawford the year before, the Ariza for Oubre trade, the Baynes trade last year, and I liked the Cam Payne signing. Not all terrible, at all.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I wish the Suns had something to offer to move back into the draft. Future 2nds and our 2024 first is all we really have to offer though.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Signing Monty, signing Jamal Crawford the year before, the Ariza for Oubre trade, the Baynes trade last year, and I liked the Cam Payne signing. Not all terrible, at all.

When I say he has sucked, I am talking about his personnel acquisitions. He seems fine at managing the existing players and signing coaches.

Jamal Crawford really? He was actually awful statistically. He certainly did not move the needle - cannot see how you think that was a good move. Maybe not a terrible one, but not a good one either.

Ariza for Oubre was an accident - he didn't even want Oubre the whole Brooks confusion saved him. Yeah he got lucky on that one.

Baynes trade was not good - We gave up a first rounder to take Ty Jerome a horrible pick, and ate up cap space on Baynes that could have been used more effectively. For instance Rashaan Homes - who would have been cheaper and who we would not be losing now to FA.

Cam Payne was again complete luck. He has never played remotely as well as he did for the Suns in the bubble - in all likelihood it was a complete fluke.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wish the Suns had something to offer to move back into the draft. Future 2nds and our 2024 first is all we really have to offer though.

Pretty hard when James Jones gives them all away for free for teams to take on assets like TJ Warren and Josh Jackson, and doesn't acquire any because he doesn't want to trade down to take players like Cam Johnson and Jalen Smith.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson