You guys are crazy wanting to trade PP

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Worth noting about PP from ESPN. “There has been talk around the league that Peterson has slipped. Heading into Week 7, he was allowing 0.54 expected points per target as the nearest defender in coverage, a mark that ranked 60th out of 77 qualifying cornerbacks who have played at least 100 coverage snaps.“

It appears that PP can still get up for big games but can he stay motivated week to week. Also his age & cost are both going up significantly. The Cards need to decide if he can be counted on to show up every game for several years. That’s a big gamble.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Good point about PP @Harry

He seems to really struggle in zone but typically does better m2m. How much of that stat (60th out of 77) is due to the scheme?

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Booker is absolutely a better offensive player than Kobe. He isn't by any means as good overall as Kobe, but purely looking at offense he is better. Unfortunately for him the game is played on both ends.

You must be registered for see images attach

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
It's like this, Peterson is the best CB, though past his prime, while in our current situation to have hoping on winning something in the near future with a dynamic young QB on his rookie contract

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
It appears that PP can still get up for big games but can he stay motivated week to week. Also his age & cost are both going up significantly. The Cards need to decide if on to show up every game for several years. That’s a big gamble.
Ding ding ding. Exactly how I’ve looked at it.

Harry what would you do if you were the GM?

I’ve been very critical of his play & effort. I was all in about seeing his trade value. After SNF I think we should play out the season & franchise tag him if he keeps performing. Based on his up & down performances there’s no way I’m extending him.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The key to a successful trade is to make the deal while your player is at a high level but right before you anticipate a downturn in performance. If you can hit that calculation correctly, you get max value---the guy is still an above-average player---and when he does crash, he's off your roster.

It's time to accumulate young talent before KM gets to the end of his rookie contract. If we can get high pick(s) and/or a stud younger player for PP2 now is the time to make the trade. He's been riding his rep for a few years but if you notice, teams are starting to take their shots in his direction. Both the Cowpies and the SeaTurkeys didn't hesitate throwing to the guy PP2 was guarding. Soon, he will just be seen as another CB out there guarding a WR.

What do you have then if the PP2 myth is broken? He doesn't participate in run support and veers away from contact. Watch him do the Michael Jackson moon walk instead of crashing blockers and blowing up a play. You never see him crash the pile on a goal line stand---he's in the background holding hands with the WR he was guarding. Teams should run right at him with sweeps and WR and TE screens---PP2 will do the backwards shuffle waiting for the safties, the linesbackers, the DL to rally to the ball and make the tackle.

Trade now while his rep and play are still high.

Buckybird

Reaction score
True. But if he’s a FA you’re most likely getting a 3rd pick.

The dilemma is the Cards are making a push for the playoffs which really restricts them from trading him.
The key to a successful trade is to make the deal while your player is at a high level but right before you anticipate a downturn in performance. If you can hit that calculation correctly, you get max value---the guy is still an above-average player---and when he does crash, he's off your roster.

It's time to accumulate young talent before KM gets to the end of his rookie contract. If we can get high pick(s) and/or a stud younger player for PP2 now is the time to make the trade. He's been riding his rep for a few years but if you notice, teams are starting to take their shots in his direction. Both the Cowpies and the SeaTurkeys didn't hesitate throwing to the guy PP2 was guarding. Soon, he will just be seen as another CB out there guarding a WR.

What do you have then if the PP2 myth is broken? He doesn't participate in run support and veers away from contact. Watch him do the Michael Jackson moon walk instead of crashing blockers and blowing up a play. You never see him crash the pile on a goal line stand---he's in the background holding hands with the WR he was guarding. Teams should run right at him with sweeps and WR and TE screens---PP2 will do the backwards shuffle waiting for the safties, the linesbackers, the DL to rally to the ball and make the tackle.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Ding ding ding. Exactly how I’ve looked at it.

Harry what would you do if you were the GM?

I’ve been very critical of his play & effort. I was all in about seeing his trade value. After SNF I think we should play out the season & franchise tag him if he keeps performing. Based on his up & down performances there’s no way I’m extending him.
What I don’t know is how committed the Cards are to this being the year. If they figure this may be their best shot with a 5-2 start, they keep him. They have no replacement. As the quote indicated it not clear there’s big demand for PP. I’d keep him. Let him leave in FA and take the round 3 pick. I’m not sure he fetches more in a trade.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You know you just described Deon Sanders the greatest to ever play the position. If your looking for a physical tone setter out of your CB then your looking in the wrong place.

he’s been in the league for a decade you think no ones ever said hey let’s run right at him. You know why no one does? Because you don’t run at cornerbacks there usually 20 yards downfield and if your CB is making the tackle that means that running back got through the defensive line and linebackers first that’s not good

Buckybird

Reaction score
Thank you. Exactly what I think. But hey Keim has been known to sign some crazy deals at the worst times
What I don’t know is how committed the Cards are to this being the year. If they figure this may be their best shot with a 5-2 start, they keep him. They have no replacement. As the quote indicated it not clear there’s big demand for PP. I’d keep him. Let him leave in FA and take the round 3 pick. I’m not sure he fetches more in a trade.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Don’t bother dude. That one argument immediately negates any other sports argument he ever makes about anything.
Man it's really gonna be hard around here not having the approval of the almighty cheesebeef...

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Sanders played in a total of 188 games and had 53 Int and 9 Tds. Take a look at his number of tackles for his career:

https://www.nfl.com/players/deion-sanders/stats/career

Sanders had extra value and returned kicks and also played WR—that added to his greatest.

PP2 has been a much more physical player and has a lot more tackles & assists to his credit but also about half the INTs in his stat line (27 in 145 games). Early in his career he returned kicks and has played some WR—but not near the level of Sanders involvement.

https://www.nfl.com/players/patrick-peterson/stats/

Sanders is to the extreme of being a cover corner—teams absolutely refused to throw in his direction and when they did he’d go for the INT and often take the pick to the house. Teams also knew to run at him since they knew he would do the moon walk away from the tackle (just look at his career tackles).

The point to trade PP2 is that he is still playing at a high level as a cover corner. But the signs are there that it is time to trade and get maximum value. In the SeaTurkey game, two Tds went over PP2—he had tight defense and came within a few inches of breaking up the play both times. The question is—at this point in his career is he going to close that distance and get that hand in there OR is it more likely that the distance of a near miss is going to increase?

At this point in the season, Cards look to be in position to both make the playoffs and also to compete. Would you trade PP2 for a young pass rushing DL or OLB? Do we have enough pass rush with the loss of CJ? Granted we are thin at CB even with PP2 on the roster---but are we hurting as much if not more with the pass rush? Can we plug in a Murphy at CB provided we get a beast pass rusher? Or will we be a better team with PP2 and a weak pass rush?

I do like to see more physical play from the CB—I wish PP2 would turn and defend the goal when his coverage duties have been accomplished. Note that Murphy will mix it up as a slot corner. I don’t expect the CB to trot toward the tackle and leave it to the other DBs to close and make the stop. I think PP2 is at max trade value and the time is right to get the highest return in trade. (I made my point. You are welcome to disagree.)

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How much do you think P2 is getting paid if extended? Because it's very likely going to be $18m per, in a year where the cap drops $20m.

Slay just got $16.8m at 29. That's going to be what his agent uses as a minimum.

Sadly, we are in a situation where it's that or a rookie. So I don't see we have much choice.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Can we tag him?
If we can tag him, let’s do that. Squeeze another Kyler R-Deal year out of a top-shelf CB.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose