Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hmmmm

Houston gets: Embiid, Josh Richardson

Philly gets: James Harden

it works money wise. Who says no? Houston has gone as far as they can go. There in cap hell and traded away a million draft picks. This gives them a chance to hit to reset button with a 26 year old franchise player

Philly gets Harden. Point Harden, Tobias and Simmons running running and gunning would be serious players out East. Putting Simmons in a running offense would unleash him and play to his strengths. He’s not a half court guy that he’s forced to be with Embiid.

Simmons can't and won't shoot from outside of the paint. If D'Antoni goes there, I expect him to be dealt quick. The trade you suggested might be more realistic swapping Embiid and Simmons and throwing in a few Sixers 1st rounders.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Simmons can't and won't shoot from outside of the paint. If D'Antoni goes there, I expect him to be dealt quick. The trade you suggested might be more realistic swapping Embiid and Simmons and throwing in a few Sixers 1st rounders.

If Simmons would play center, problem fixed but he probably wouldn't want to do that.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah. That's why the Lakers have Howard and McGee on their roster.

Howard signed a non-guaranteed league minimum deal this season to join the Lakers. To be fair, I think 25 of the 30 teams in the league would have given him a shot on a contract like that. I know I'd be pissed if I heard the Suns turned him away and he made that offer to join us. That meant they could waive him up until January 6th or so without any cap hit.

Howard will probably get a deal like the Bi-Annual Exception next season, which is about double the minimum given his tenure in the league. I think it'll be like $3.4 million. Again, for that much, I wouldn't mind seeing him back up Ayton. I doubt he'd want to come here though. I can see him staying in LA or joining another contender.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Simmons would play center, problem fixed but he probably wouldn't want to do that.

Does he remind anyone else of Boris Diaw? I always thought he did, like a best case scenario Diaw who never over ate and showed up out of shape plus playing to his strengths from day 1. Diaw spent a couple years in Atlanta where they tried to make him a SG.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Murray has played well tonight but Jokic has been taken out of his game and sits on the bench with 5 personal fouls.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Howard signed a non-guaranteed league minimum deal this season to join the Lakers. To be fair, I think 25 of the 30 teams in the league would have given him a shot on a contract like that. I know I'd be pissed if I heard the Suns turned him away and he made that offer to join us. That meant they could waive him up until January 6th or so without any cap hit.

Howard will probably get a deal like the Bi-Annual Exception next season, which is about double the minimum given his tenure in the league. I think it'll be like $3.4 million. Again, for that much, I wouldn't mind seeing him back up Ayton. I doubt he'd want to come here though. I can see him staying in LA or joining another contender.

It would do Ayton good to practice against a physical player although I'm not a fan of the way Howard plays sometimes. That's not to say I couldn't be persuaded.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nuggets haven't got much out of Millsap and Plumlee tonight.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nuggets go down 3-1 in series.

Lakers 114 - 108

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

why would Simmons be asked to spot up in that offense? He’d be used like a Shawn Marion type getting his points on the break and be the one kicking it out to open shooters as he drives something he does great

Embiid is the guy who doesn’t fit at all in a D’Antoni offense. He’s a lumbering 7 footer.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It would do Ayton good to practice against a physical player although I'm not a fan of the way Howard plays sometimes. That's not to say I couldn't be persuaded.

He has Lebron to keep him in check. Who’s going to do that in Phoenix

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
why would Simmons be asked to spot up in that offense? He’d be used like a Shawn Marion type getting his points on the break and be the one kicking it out to open shooters as he drives something he does great

Embiid is the guy who doesn’t fit at all in a D’Antoni offense. He’s a lumbering 7 footer.

Marion was still a 3pt shooter in D'Antoni's offense. Simmons will not shoot 3's, at all. It's a bad fit. Sure, Simmons is a good defender and facilitator as a PG but if you take him from the PG position and start playing him as a wing then what he does well won't stand out the same.

Embiid is not as immobile as you make it out to be. He can anchor the offense and pull up for 3's if he doesn't get back quickly. He may be used better as a trailer of sorts, showing up to set deep picks and be a pick and pop or roll threat.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It sickens me that Markeiff Morris is going to get a Championship ring...

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hmmmm

Houston gets: Embiid, Josh Richardson

Philly gets: James Harden

it works money wise. Who says no? Houston has gone as far as they can go. There in cap hell and traded away a million draft picks. This gives them a chance to hit to reset button with a 26 year old franchise player

Philly gets Harden. Point Harden, Tobias and Simmons running running and gunning would be serious players out East. Putting Simmons in a running offense would unleash him and play to his strengths. He’s not a half court guy that he’s forced to be with Embiid.
Simmons is best with ball in his hands. So is harden. I think Simmons for harden is more likely than embiid for harden.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Any player that’s primarily a perimeter player with Danton’s has to shoot threes. It’s a given. He’s traded away everyone that doesn’t from Houston.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Any player that’s primarily a perimeter player with Danton’s has to shoot threes. It’s a given. He’s traded away everyone that doesn’t from Houston.

Simmons bread and butter is driving to the lane. He’s not a perimeter player at all. Rebound push the ball Drive and kick out that’s how his offense works.

so you guys think Embiid is better suited for a D’Antoni team then Ben Simmons?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Marion was still a 3pt shooter in D'Antoni's offense. Simmons will not shoot 3's, at all. It's a bad fit. Sure, Simmons is a good defender and facilitator as a PG but if you take him from the PG position and start playing him as a wing then what he does well won't stand out the same.

Embiid is not as immobile as you make it out to be. He can anchor the offense and pull up for 3's if he doesn't get back quickly. He may be used better as a trailer of sorts, showing up to set deep picks and be a pick and pop or roll threat.

he’s also out of shape half the time

and how’s Embiid going to hold up in his notorious short rotations.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Simmons bread and butter is driving to the lane. He’s not a perimeter player at all. Rebound push the ball Drive and kick out that’s how his offense works.

Name a guard who has excelled in D'Antoni's offense without shooting 3's. Other than Amare, who has excelled in D'Antoni's offense without shooting 3's?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He has Lebron to keep him in check. Who’s going to do that in Phoenix

This is the problem. Phoenix doesn't have anyone on their current roster to keep Howard in check.

This is from Ben Rohrbach Yahoo Sports Sep 21, 2020, 12:08 PM:

After Howard’s shoving match with Paul Millsap resulted in the tech, TNT color analyst Reggie Miller said of Howard, “He’s just out here straight trying to punk Jokic. Seriously, that’s all he’s really doing.” And he was right. As Howard tried pleading his case with referees in vain, Rajon Rondo had to tell his Lakers teammate to check himself, as did Danny Green after the game, when Howard was telling the Nuggets to “go home.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/dwight-how...e-it-is-working-for-the-lakers-190820958.html

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I think a big that stretches the floor is a better fit for Dantoni 2020 than a guard who doesn’t shoot the three. And Simmons is a guard regardless of his massive size.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Finito

When I was talking about Doncic being elite and Herro having a chance to reach that status, one of the reasons I was talking about these two particular players is because the Suns had a chance to draft both.

This was not meant to exclude some other players that may become elite as well such as Zion and Ja Morant. The Suns simply didn't have a chance at drafting either.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He’s 6’10

lol yeah guard. D’Antoni just used PJ Tucker at center and guys think he’s going to make Ben Simmons spot up for jump shots. Ok

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He’s 6’10

lol yeah guard. D’Antoni just used PJ Tucker at center and guys think he’s going to make Ben Simmons spot up for jump shots. Ok
Magic Johnson wasn’t a pg bc he was 6’9. We’re doing this again?!?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Magic Johnson wasn’t a pg bc he was 6’9. We’re doing this again?!?

Yeah, despite his size or reservations about his skill set, there is no question he is playing "point guard" for the Sixers.

He is a rich man's Boris Diaw. D'Antoni would certainly find use of him, but Simmons' terrible shooting, not just from 3 but from the line, would cause a Mike D offense some serious problems when things get late and close.

As for Simmons vs Embiid, Embiid is a much much better player and he and Harden would be a pick and roll nightmare to defend, while Simmons in the same situation provides zero threat to pick and "pop".

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So where would Simmons go if he were traded?

The Thunder need a young star and if they could move Chris Paul that might be a spot.