The 2019-2020 Around the NBA thread

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Mainstreet, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Finito

Finito Registered

Luka is the only guy in that draft that goes ahead of Ayton. They are by far the best two players in that draft.

the Trae Young thing is a joke. That kid would drive me nuts if he was on my team. I can see spectacular one minute and maddening the next. He’s literally the worst defender in the NBA and his decision making is a joke. He’s so careless with the ball.

2. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

A 21 year old averaging those numbers on a trash team is still very impressive and I say the same thing about Book.

3. Finito

Finito Registered

say what?

Young has been touted as this Steph Curry type bomber but as it’s been pointed out he’s actually not a good 3 point shooter

he averages almost 5 turnovers a game he’s super careless with the ball and not really a great playmaker either.

he’s literally the worst defender in the NBA no like really the worst. He doesn’t even try. His defense makes Booker look like Gary Payton.

he’s a chucker, now can he get better sure but right now he’s just a chucker in a bad team

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  4. GatorAZ

Age 21 season:

Booker- 25/5/4 - 18.1 PER - 56.1 TS% - -0.95 RAPM (21-61 team record)

Young: 30/9/4 - 23.9 PER - 59.5 TS% - +1.10 RAPM (20-62 team record)

5. Finito

Finito Registered

And?

6. Ronin

Ronin Registered

7. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

Sounds like players have been working out with other teammates in some limited way for awhile.

8. GatorAZ

So maybe Trae Young is actually really good for his age.. Unless you think Booker was trash as well that age.

AzStevenCal likes this.
  9. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

But that wasn’t the question. It was Trae vs Ayton and Doncic. Not Booker.

10. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Registered

Young is leading Atlanta to a worse record than Ayton's Suns. It doesn't matter if you use the Suns total record or just when Ayton plays but the Suns are still better than the Hawks and they have the tougher schedule playing in the West. I don't get how that writer can list Young and Huerter ahead of Ayton and Bridges when the Suns are better in large part because of Ayton and Bridges while the Hawks are one game from being the worst in the East, being led by Young and Huerter.

If you swapped Young and Huerter for Ayton and Bridges, I think Atlanta becomes a borderline playoff team in the East but the Suns get worse, considerably worse.

The Young before Ayton pick is questionable but somewhat understandable due to Ayton's suspension but I can't understand how overrated he has Huerter. Having him before Bridges basically says Huerter would command more in a trade and that the Suns would swap Bridges for Huerter but the Hawks wouldn't. Huerter could be the next Nik Stauskus and out of the league in the next couple of years if he doesn't add something beside perimeter shooting to his game.

The whole paragraph on Huerter is saying he's better than Bridges, or has a higher ceiling, and I don't know how anyone could say that who has seen Bridges in more than 1-2 games. Even watching Bridges in just 1 or 2 games though you can see he's consistent on defense no matter what the score is, his assignment, or the opponent. I'd be shocked if Bridges doesn't make an All-Defensive team within the next 3 years.

Here is what he says about Hueter...

11. GatorAZ

I wasn’t the first one to bring up Booker in here but just keeping it balanced in regards to what kind of player Trae is.

12. Raindog

Raindog Registered

But Booker is dissed by hoops pundits (and some portion of fans) as being an "empty numbers guy on a bad team."

Meanwhile, Young is uprated by those same pundits as "an upcoming star, the future of the league" along with Doncic.

Tell me that's not ironic and hypocritical.

Finito, Chaplin and Hoop Head like this.
  13. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Registered

Some sad news, Jerry Sloan has passed away.

Mainstreet likes this.
  14. BC867

BC867 Long time Phoenician! Contributor

Doesn't it reflect the sloppy management of the Suns? As you quoted, "... on a bad team."

Y' might say it shouldn't. But how could it not? Basketball is the THE most team sport that exists.

15. Finito

Finito Registered

that’s pretty much the point.