The 2019-2020 Around the NBA thread

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Mainstreet, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

Reportedly Patrick Ewing has tested positive for the coronavirus.

2. Ronin

Ronin Registered

AsUpRoDiGy and Mainstreet like this.
  3. Mainstreet

Ronin likes this.
  4. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

5. Mainstreet

I'm so glad Ginobili retired otherwise he could probably do the same thing to the Suns today. It always looked like he was doing things in slow motion. He was such a clever player.

6. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Registered

Why are you posting links to those highlights, aren't people suffering enough in this pandemic?

SunnyBaller and GatorAZ like this.
  7. GatorAZ

Got sucked down a dark youtube worm hole.

8. GatorAZ

I was always in awe of Ginobili but it’s like we never watched film or practiced team defense.

9. Mainstreet

Ginobili made things look so easy but you are right, the Suns didn't play much defense.

10. Ronin

Ronin Registered

Ouchie-Z-Clown likes this.
  11. Raze

Raze Suns fan since '89

(I've also found myself in way too many dark Youtube vortexes these past weeks. I'm way too entertained watching The Rock vs Stone Cold, or Best Fan Moments, or Cambodia's Got Talent. But since you brought him up...)

I respected Ginobili immensely for his selflessness as a team player and for his high energy on the court. The perfect "glue" role player.

Personally I was never in awe of him though (I felt the same with Parker). I was in awe of Pop and Timmy.

Pop is the greatest HC of all time. I don't think that's arguable anymore. No one got more out of would be G Leaguers than that guy. System guys like that are beyond rare. Even more rare are HCs who can get players to buy in.

Timmy is correctly respected as the greatest PF/C of all time. Had he not played for Pop, he STILL would have been the greatest PF/C of all time. Their 2014 Championship team is THE best "non Big-3" TEAM I've ever seen play. (Boris Diaw was a stud in that series). Perfect team ball.

Manu wisely thrived under their greatness. He was a good player. I don't see anything more than that, nor anything less. If he'd ever been the best player on an NBA team with a different HC, I can't see them being very good.

There seems little doubt he makes the Basketball HOF due to his overseas accolades combined with his solid NBA career. However, if there was purely an NBA HOF, I wouldn't consider him.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    AzStevenCal and Ouchie-Z-Clown like this.
  12. Raindog

Raindog Registered

That was D'Antoni's philosophy: put as many shots up as you possibly can and hope you make at least one more than the other team. And forget about every other aspect of the game.

The problem is he got out coached by Pops every time, slowing the game to a half court wrestling match. If D'Antoni had another card up his sleeve, it might not have always worked. But D'Antoni was too damn stubborn to admit he needed another card.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    BC867, Raze and Hoop Head like this.
  13. Mainstreet

Of course that was SSOL.

The Suns didn't really have a stopper on defense except when they had Raja Bell.

That extra card might have been encouraging Steve Nash to take those open shots much like Stephen Curry.

14. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Registered

That 2014 Spurs team was on a mission and I think the best Spurs team we've seen under Pop. They may have had better rosters at other points but that team was built perfectly to compliment one another and Pop had everyone buying in at a level that he hadn't previously. Everyone bought in to Pop's gameplan before but there was another level there, like they all knew that varying from that gameplan cost them the previous years title so they listened and did everything he asked, to a T. That previous years finals loss to the Heat drove them throughout the entire regular season and postseason up until they got their redemption.

That is the Spurs team that got me to sit back and really appreciate what all Popovich, Duncan, Ginobli, and Parker brought to the table. I'm still not a fan of Parker and don't think he wins a title as the PG on another team but that's a different discussion entirely. That team was built to win it all that year and were lazer focused on accomplishing that, like no other team I've seen since the Jordan Bulls. There have been favorites, sure, but from game 1 of the regular season, San Antonio were playing for keeps.

Raze likes this.
  15. GatorAZ

Manu was a borderline star for a 4-5 year stretch. If it wasn’t for his international career he would’ve been a legit star SG but his body was always worn down. He was also a complete player and underrated defender (and terrible flopper).