2020 1st round pick is Isaiah Simmons

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isaiah Simmons is our eraser.

From Arizona Sports:

“You watch him on tape, you see him play the deep middle, the deep half. You see him play in the box, you see him blitz, rush the passer … We call that kind of player an ‘eraser’ in this league,” GM Steve Keim said on a Zoom call Thursday.

“Really feel like he’s a really unusual, unique, dynamic player, a guy who does multiple things for you,” Keim added. “It’s my 22nd draft in the NFL. I don’t know I’ve scouted many players like this.”

https://arizonasports.com/story/232...-to-terms-with-1st-round-pick-isaiah-simmons/

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's almost like the team/Simmons were reading the thread and saw your post and said "Whoa, we haven't completed the deal yet? Let's get this done!" and did it last night. Lol.

No, it's that the rookies reported to the facility today for the first time. Pretty sure these deals have been worked out for awhile, just waited till they got to town to sign them is all.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
Everyone should probably adjust their expectations down for both rookies and this team in general. No/limited offseason and zero preseason is going to hurt growth and development.

Nah dogg we're winning the Superbowl this year.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I will be honest. I still have no idea how to best use this kid. I put a ton of priority on rushing the passer but his athletic ability makes him a great fit to be able to cover. I am sure we will see a mix, but on 3rd down in crunch time, I am not sure what I want him to be doing.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I will be honest. I still have no idea how to best use this kid. I put a ton of priority on rushing the passer but his athletic ability makes him a great fit to be able to cover. I am sure we will see a mix, but on 3rd down in crunch time, I am not sure what I want him to be doing.
Agreed. But that also makes him an unpredictable assignment for offenses on 3rd down.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I'm really excited about this years draft picks. Too bad it will take another 12 to 18 months to figure out if they are who I think they are. haha

I am super excited to see Simmons, Weaver, Fotu & Lawrence.

Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

But I thought someone on here was saying he was a safety & played most of his snaps there? Also had very few snaps at ILB. That poster must have been wrong or am I thinking of something else? ;)

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
But I thought someone on here was saying he was a safety & played most of his snaps there? Also had very few snaps at ILB. That poster must have been wrong or am I thinking of something else? ;)
I still love the idea of him being a S. To me it opens up so many more options as a defense. Now, I didn't study him enough to know how is play in space translates to the NFL but his measurables are comparable other Sis in the league.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Depends on how which position that you define slot CB with.

I'm thinking this is process of what we will see in incorporating him in the defense.
ILB - Get the fundamentals in place in the rungame, blitzing packages and in zone coverage

then...

Slot Cover - Expand the cover role to a slot role. If he can handle that then you add a lot of more flexiblity. Or rather you elimate several thing from the opposing offense when you have a slot corner that is also a linebacker.

then...

Edge - Line him up in blitz packages. Disguise coverages.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The ultimate way to use Simmons would be to line him up all over the place and disguse his role from down to down.

Assuming, of course, that he has the size, range and Football IQ to meet the challenge.

Each defensive snap figures to be an adventure, and it will be VJ's responsibility to make it all work.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The ultimate way to use Simmons would be to line him up all over the place and disguse his role from down to down.

Assuming, of course, that he has the size, range and Football IQ to meet the challenge.

Each defensive snap figures to be an adventure, and it will be VJ's responsibility to make it all work.
He use to be a traditional coach, no the type of coach with very much creativeness regarding the use of hybrid players
Let's see, but at now isn't the best coach for him on paper

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Every time I see these videos I'm left thinking...... Man...... Simmons looks bigger than I thought he was.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA