Suns @ Celtics Sunday scrimmage game 7-26-20

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This suns team is still not very good. Really misses oubre. My thoughts (based just in this game):

Ayton looked dreadful

as stated, Jerome . . . yuck

bridges is still limited offensively imo. His 3 isn’t automatic when open, which we need it to be. Unless he’s really free on a drive he doesn’t seem capable of finishing through, or even around, much traffic/contact. also, I don’t see any additional muscle.

Kaminsky is who he is. Should be a deep bench player.

Saric remains a heady player who plays hard but whose physical limitations will always leave us wanting more. Would be a terrific player off the bench with another offensive weapon like a Lou Williams type.

carter is also who he is. I don’t see much progress.

Payne is meh. I saw him drive once when he had three shooter options and he forced it it into a turnover.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jerome was supposed to at least be able to shoot, but he can’t even seem to do that.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This suns team is still not very good. Really misses oubre. My thoughts (based just in this game):

Ayton looked dreadful

bridges is still limited offensively imo. His 3 isn’t automatic when open, which we need it to be. Unless he’s really free on a drive he doesn’t seem capable of finishing through, or even around, much traffic/contact. also, I don’t see any additional muscle.

Saric remains a heady player who plays hard but whose physical limitations will always leave us wanting more. Would be a terrific player off the bench with another offensive weapon like a Lou Williams type.

Payne is meh. I saw him drive once when he had three shooter options and he forced it it into a turnover.
Let’s be fair here, you didn’t see the previous game and this is a scrimmage, so everything you saw in this game is not necessarily the norm. Hopefully.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Ayton looked dreadful

Today none of our starters (well Saric was ok) had it going offensively. Combine that with our hideously thin bench and this team isn't going to beat anyone.

With that said, most of the time at least one of Booker or Ayton will have it going and we are very much missing Kelly's ability to score.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Yep. No depth whatsoever

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Today none of our starters (well Saric was ok) had it going offensively. Combine that with our hideously thin bench and this team isn't going to beat anyone.

With that said, most of the time at least one of Booker or Ayton will have it going and we are very much missing Kelly's ability to score.
Bridges was the best player on the floor again. Not sure why you think he wasn’t any good.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty said the Suns inability to hit shots hurt their game and impacted their defense. Shooting remains a familiar problem.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They must have advertised the transformation center 500 times in this game. Between that and the bench play the second half was almost torture.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When the Suns have a lot of non-athletic players on their roster they can't afford to play them together.

For example, Baynes, Kaminsky, Jerome and to lesser extent Saric all need four athletic players on the court with them otherwise the team looks and plays slow.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Let’s be fair here, you didn’t see the previous game and this is a scrimmage, so everything you saw in this game is not necessarily the norm. Hopefully.
I clearly stated based just on this game.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't say I would be excited with this group as it contains two of the slowest players on the court.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cam Johnson as well. The 2019 draft might very well be the worst Suns draft ever.

Nope, I do not agree about Cam. I am seeing a lot of progress from him.

His defense is clearly improving and he is making a concerted effort to drive to the bucket. He is going to be a valuable contributor moving forward.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Nope, I do not agree about Cam. I am seeing a lot of progress from him.

His defense is clearly improving and he is making a concerted effort to drive to the bucket. He is going to be a valuable contributor moving forward.

His defense has improved from awful to merely bad, and he is still rushing his shot, which means a lot of games of 33% from the field.

To use up the #6 overall pick, a future first round pick and a high second round pick to come away with only that, a year of a back-up power forward in Saric and a half year of a back-up center in Baynes is just plain awful.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I can't say I would be excited with this group as it contains two of the slowest players on the court.

All I see is a 17-2 run for the other team with that lineup

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All I see is a 17-2 run for the other team with that lineup

It's one of those comments that I wonder what Monty was thinking.

Perhaps he realized these might be the best players on his bench next season. :eek:

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We went really small for a while too, i think Jerome, Payne and Carter were all playing together for a while too.

Good first half by the legit players.

What was evident was the superstar status Tatum has, he draws a foul - which was a bad call, near the end of the 2nd quarter. I loved that block by Bridges though, he played him tough.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We went really small for a while too, i think Jerome, Payne and Carter were all playing together for a while too.

Good first half by the legit players.

What was evident was the superstar status Tatum has, he draws a foul - which was a bad call, near the end of the 2nd quarter. I loved that block by Bridges though, he played him tough.

Jaylen Brown wasn't too shabby either.

Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown were a big part of the Celtics offense.

The Suns starters played well as you mentioned. I'm very pleased with Bridges 16 points, 5 rebounds and 3 blocked shots.

Too bad Oubre is not playing... at least yet.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ty Jerome actually makes me miss Tyler Johnson. Maybe Monty thinks he is Tyler? That's the only way I can see his positive comments about that lineup making a bit of sense. At least Tyler Johnson showed he could play some, not consistently but he had games where he was good.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ty Jerome actually makes me miss Tyler Johnson. Maybe Monty thinks he is Tyler? That's the only way I can see his positive comments about that lineup making a bit of sense. At least Tyler Johnson showed he could play some, not consistently but he had games where he was good.

I'm not missing Tyler Johnson but whether Jerome can adapt to the speed of the NBA is questionable. He will never be a good defender but I still have slight hope for his shooting and passing. It's a huge adjustment to play in the NBA with average athleticism. It will be a challenge for his basketball IQ.

The closest NBA player I can think to compare him at the moment is Kendall Marshall.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not missing Tyler Johnson but whether Jerome can adapt to the speed of the NBA is questionable. He will never be a good defender but I still have slight hope for his shooting and passing. It's a huge adjustment to play in the NBA with average athleticism. It will be a challenge for his basketball IQ.

The closest NBA player I can think to compare him at the moment is Kendall Marshall.

I hope the Suns try to find a taker for him this offseason or during the draft. He might fetch a 2nd rounder from someone. Maybe one of his Virginia teammates can help sell him to their team. I know he worked out with De'Andre Hunter during the hiatus. Perhaps the Hawks will take a gamble on him to back up Trae Young. He's got the size to play with him also but that would be an absolutely terrible defensive backcourt, Jerome & Young.

I'd rather see him dealt than see the Suns decline an early option on yet another 1st round selection. It would also open up space to retain Carter, who I still think has a shot of finding a role here.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard