****Rumor July 1st is the target date*****

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Poor frail pitchers. Hopefully they can still spit and chew tobacky. Never been a fan of the DH.
Neither was I, until it became obvious that the National League is the only
league in the U.S. not using it, which put them at a big disadvantage.

Pitchers come through college ball and the Minor Leagues never having
to bat. So as a lifelong National League fan, I gave in.

For the NL to continue to fight the DH is only spiting themselves.

Besides, the idea of fighting the DH concept was that it took away
from the National League using strategy. How long has it been since
they used strategy, considering "lift" and hitting into the shift?

The D-backs have been as bad as any team at doing that.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BC’s point that pitchers NEVER hit in college or the minors is the main reason my opposition to the DH is basically gone

If I had a magic wand I would eliminate the DH completely, but that’s not reality

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a preview to the upcoming labor negotiations. MLB is going to kill itself.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Poor baby. But $4 million would be worth it?

I hope you don't go to grocery stores, where people have to deal with REAL risks for $12/hour.

It's actually an infurating amount of greed. If they don't play this year I will likely tune out baseball next year

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's actually an infurating amount of greed. If they don't play this year I will likely tune out baseball next year

I almost think it would be better for no baseball this year, if the players and owners can't be adults.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Poor baby. But $4 million would be worth it?

I hope you don't go to grocery stores, where people have to deal with REAL risks for $12/hour.

Snell is not very articulate, and obviously tone deaf, but the issue isn’t whether he takes money from working class folks. It’s whether he takes more money from plutocratic owners. It’s a classic big business trope to pit workers against less well off workers as opposed to their shared enemy: the ownership class.

I don’t support Snell’s message, and he’s obviously selfish, but I prefer he and all players (that actually assume the risk of contracting the illness by playing) receive their maximum salary as opposed to the owners hoarding it under the pretenses of castigating the players as greedy while they watch from their well-appointed owner’s box.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Snell is not very articulate, and obviously tone deaf, but the issue isn’t whether he takes money from working class folks. It’s whether he takes more money from plutocratic owners. It’s a classic big business trope to pit workers against less well off workers as opposed to their shared enemy: the ownership class.

I don’t support Snell’s message, and he’s obviously selfish, but I prefer he and all players (that actually assume the risk of contracting the illness by playing) receive their maximum salary as opposed to the owners hoarding it under the pretenses of castigating the players as greedy while they watch from their well-appointed owner’s box.

There is risk on both sides. The owners have the risk of litigation with anyone involved in the production of these games including the players.

a 50/50 split was a good offer.

Going to 45/55 is the death kneel to any public support for the players. Or leave it at 50/50 but offer to pay the salary of any person who worked for the organization and now cannot for the entire year.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
There is risk on both sides. The owners have the risk of litigation with anyone involved in the production of these games including the players.

Going to 45/55 is the death kneel to any public support for the players. Or leave it at 50/50 but offer to pay the salary of any person who worked for the organization and now cannot for the entire year.

I agree the risk is shared. The owners are much much better able to shoulder that risk.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

If you believe the players, they had already come to an agreement with the owners on money but now the owners are suddenly wanting to change the agreement.

Forgetting money for a moment, there are so many health hurdles to overcome. They also have to overcome the disparity between the haves and the have nots because it will be more pronounced in this scenario than ever before.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
My point of view is that the players being asked to risk their health (or lives) because we all wish things
were back to normal after a couple of months . . .

. . . is no different than I, as a senior citizen who they say is more at risk, considering the same when it
comes to trying to resume a normal life.

My decision -- two months is an unbelievably short time in the life of a killer virus where one person could
spread it to fifteen within a matter of minutes. Multiply that by hundreds of thousands of people. Day
after day.

I, for one, am going to continue to play it safe. Life going forward will not be as we've known it.

It is not about winning elections and politicizing a health issue. It is about the economy versus deaths.
And not being an expert in either, I don't know what the answer is. I just wish we didn't live in a time
of political gridlock, so our leaders could work together and exercise decisions that would best serve
the public.

But it seems it's too late for that! The credibility of the United States as a world leader is taking a hit.

At the podiums and on TV and online. For the world to see. It is what our country has become.

And sports and restaurants and all of the other things that we've taken for granted are just symbols
of the greater problem.

And then, the potential killer. Russia and Communist China and north Korea keeping a close eye on our
weaknesses. And even meddling in our elections.

I want to see Mad Bum leading our staff. And the two Marte's in the lineup. But it all seems so small
compared to a virus that kills across the world. And is nowhere near being solved.

It is as if the age of technology has heightened the philosophy of "Eat, drink and be merry for
tomorrow we die." It is out of control! I feel for my family and all of you younger people who will
have to deal with it for your next fifty years.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
My point of view is that the players being asked to risk their health (or lives) because we all wish things
were back to normal after a couple of months . . .

. . . is no different than I, as a senior citizen who they say is more at risk, considering the same when it
comes to trying to resume a normal life.

The biggest difference being, of course, that you risking your health trying to resume your normal life benefits a much smaller circle of people than the MLB players’ doing so.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The biggest difference being, of course, that you risking your health trying to resume your normal life benefits a much smaller circle of people than the MLB players’ doing so.
And active athletes would face a greater risk of being exposed to the germ on a daily basis than I.

An exposure that doesn't risk just their well being and lives, but everyone with whom they come
in contact. This is a worldwide pandemic that is only in its third month. A very short time as
pandemics go!

I wouldn't want to risk a single life for the instant gratification of sports entertainment.

Not referring to WhyAlwaysYou :), but it seems that mentality of the 21st Century easily
brushes off the thought of massive deaths until it reaches their families or friends.

This is philosophical, but sports and entertainment are part of life rather than vice versa.
Unfortunately, it has also become a political issue. Whereas the thoughts of medical and
scientific people should prevail.

It is May 16th. Let's see what trying to reopen routine life after only ten weeks results in.
You can't play baseball wearing a face mask. Or spit.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
AP Exclusive: MLB projects $640K per game loss with no fans
NEW YORK (AP) -- Major League Baseball told players their prorated salaries would contribute to an average loss of $640,000 for each game over an 82-game season in empty ballparks, according to a presentation from the commissioner’s office to the union that was obtained by The Associated Press.

Painting a picture of a $10 billion industry shuttered by the contagion, the 12-page document titled “Economics of Playing Without Fans in Attendance” and dated May 12 was an initial step in negotiations aimed at starting the delayed season around the Fourth of July.

Teams say the proposed method of salvaging a season delayed by the coronavirus pandemic would still cause a $4 billion loss and would give major league players 89% of revenue.
https://sports.yahoo.com/ap-exclusive-mlb-projects-640k-per-game-loss-185002978--mlb.html