Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Ken Rosenthal
@Ken_Rosenthal

·
11m

The expanded 16-team postseason that was part of MLB’s proposal yesterday did not specify a best-of-three opening round, though that might be the league’s idea, sources tell me and @EvanDrellich. The proposal asked for eight teams in each team league, specifics to be discussed.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Jeff Passan
⁦‪@JeffPassan‬⁩

You must be registered for see images

Outgoing revenue, of course, does go beyond player salaries. MLB estimates ~$500M in additional player costs: benefits, buyouts, signing bonuses, etc. When included with $1.432B salary, amounts to ~$1.93B, or ~70% projected revenue. The union disputes the $2.75B revenue number.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Jeff Passan
⁦‪@JeffPassan‬⁩

You must be registered for see images

Following up, and I swear after I’ll stop mathing you: Had MLB actually proposed a 50-50 revenue split, that $500M beyond salary, an official said, would’ve been included. Which means that it has moved beyond the 50-50 in the last month, contrary to what I suggested this morning.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently the DBacks have dramatically cut staff due to the loss of games. My season ticket rep was let go as part of the organizational restructure.

By all means these guys should continue to fight so an agent gets his share.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Apparently the DBacks have dramatically cut staff due to the loss of games. My season ticket rep was let go as part of the organizational restructure.

By all means these guys should continue to fight so an agent gets his share.

So, the employer’s refusal to pay staff is the other employees’ fault (who are being asked to take a 25% pay cut at the point of a pistol)?

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, the employer’s refusal to pay staff is the other employees’ fault (who are being asked to take a 25% pay cut at the point of a pistol)?

I want to be clear....

I hope the owners CRUSH the union at all costs next year after this off season. Whatever it takes. Full lockout.

Take a salary cap or go play in the KBO

I hold them 100% responsible for this mess of an off season.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I want to be clear....

I hope the owners CRUSH the union at all costs next year after this off season. Whatever it takes. Full lockout.

Take a salary cap or go play in the KBO

I hold them 100% responsible for this mess of an off season.

stanning for billionaires is a thing, huh

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
stanning for billionaires is a thing, huh

That word "stanning" is just nails on a chalkboard to me. It's up there with "Totes".

I am not a fan of billionaires but a fan of baseball and want it to be long term sustainable.

I don't see how that is possible without some sort of revenue sharing/salary cap. That is the reality of a post COVID - 19 world absent of some sort of vaccine.

39% of the revenue of baseball is wiped out this year. Next year likely has some reduction in attendance as well.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ague-baseball-revenue-loss-report/5207671002/

An agent that represents 5.6% of MLB players is the largest hurdle to some sort of sane negotiations. If my business had a 38% reduction in revenue you would see a corresponding drop in expenses across the board including human capital.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If my business had a 38% reduction in revenue you would see a corresponding drop in expenses across the board including human capital.

Or you could sell your business and **** of the way to an owner that values the only reason he’s making money anyway: the talent on the field.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Or you could sell your business and **** of the way to an owner that values the only reason he’s making money anyway: the talent on the field.

The pay of the talent on the field, who make millions and millions of dollars to play a sport half of the year -- and getting higher every year -- compared to average folks, who are lucky to earn 40-50-60-70 thousand dollars for working 50 weeks per year, should indeed be monitored.

And the "love it or leave it" mentality of sell your business if you don't like it . . . the next owner would be in the same position. So, are you advocating that they sell their business every year and have it go on and on?

Of course expenses have to drop in relation to lost revenue, whether a ball club or department store. Remember that income minus expenses equal profit for the investor. We better hope that the owner of any business can make a reasonable profit and provide jobs.

And, yes, players' salaries should continue to take into account that they have a limited amount of years in that profession. And that teams should provide investment counsellors to players to help them invest their windfalls wisely for when they do retire. Which is another business expense.

And the only reason the owner is making money is the talent on the field? How can you overlook the hundreds of support employees without whom there would be no professional sports?

The situation is a lot more complex than your post indicates. Like it or not, that is the reality. A course in the complexity of business management teaches that.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Using your same dose of brilliance, it seems it would be easy for the talent on the field to start their own competing league.

They could pay themselves with monopoly money and crisp high fives rather than revenue since you believe revenue doesn't determine wages

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It could be like the NBA where the owners and players decided to work together.

There was plenty of money for the both of them at least until the coronavirus virus came around.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It could be like the NBA where the owners and players decided to work together.

There was plenty of money for the both of them at least until the coronavirus virus came around.

Precisely what needs to happen. True revenue sharing with a cap based on revenues

Players oppose it because of super markets like LA and NY

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Using your same dose of brilliance, it seems it would be easy for the talent on the field to start their own competing league.

They could pay themselves with monopoly money and crisp high fives rather than revenue since you believe revenue doesn't determine wages

Curt Flood says hi to your reserve clause nonsense.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes already well reported today that the players will reject this as well. It is increasingly looking like we are headed towards a 48-60 game season mandated by the commissioner or a cancelled season. Labor dispute will spill into next year as well.

Bickley was on fire today on the radio. Everyone is turning on the players.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson