Simmons is a safety, not a linebacker

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
And that's fine.

Because he can be a Woodson or Polamalu level strong safety. The trend in the modern game is to move guys around more like we did with Badger (as have the Chiefs) , and we will do the same with Simmons. But his base position will be SS.

Playing 120 snaps at Linebacker in college in no way qualifies you to play that position in the NFL. When he played LB in college he wasn't being asked to diagnose the play and come downhill and fill gaps and when he did he wasn't great at it.

As we learned with Reddick it's very difficult to learn the mental side. It takes 1000s of snaps.

Also you want your MLB to be a stalwart of the defense. You don't want to be moving them around and subbing in other linebackers.

Much easier to move him around from SS.

SS in base. Slot in Nickel. And he'll be great at it.
You are completely underselling this young man. Do you know how smart he has to be to effective at all of those positions? As a LB he'll know where every palyer is supposed to be. You don't move him around simply becusue he has freakish athleticism, you move him around because he can understand and execute at almost all levels of the defense and read offenses.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Uh

This is not really what he said at all. Listen to the press conference if you don't believe me. He said he would primarily be a linebacker, but he would be used in many of the same ways he was at clemson, including rushing from the edge, in the slot, and at strong safety.

Weinfuss is a dufuss in my opinion.

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think they should play him all over the place and create headaches for offenses trying to avoid him. QB spy against someone like Seattle. SSLB where the opponent has a strong TE. Etc. But that creates another dilemma - they need a super-sharp D-coordinator to make that work, and sadly, there's not a lot of reason to think that VJ can be that guy. I hope he proves me (and all his other detractors, which is about 99% of the population) wrong.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Who's ever been successful in the NFL without a set position where they play the majority of snaps?

The NFL isn't college. There are much larger, more complicated playbooks and no player can remember several full positions.

He will play 90% of snaps at one position and have a set of subpackages where he moves around.

I'm sure you've mastered checkers; occupy three corners and you win.

That playbook is about chess, clearly a mystery to a "place for everything, everything in its place" kind of thinker.

You'd make a fine accountant. ;)

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think they should play him all over the place and create headaches for offenses trying to avoid him. QB spy against someone like Seattle. SSLB where the opponent has a strong TE. Etc. But that creates another dilemma - they need a super-sharp D-coordinator to make that work, and sadly, there's not a lot of reason to think that VJ can be that guy. I hope he proves me (and all his other detractors, which is about 99% of the population) wrong.
I agree.

Doesn't mean the Cards shouldn't spread false info. I just feel the Cards will see what he can do all over the field and let that dictate how they'll use him as he gains more experience.

Modern defenses have all 11 players spotted all over the field like checkers on a checkerboard, and that's how we'll use him (despite the rhetoric).

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is Wade Phillips still available for Defensive consultant?

He would know how to use him and could mentor VJ.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I respect everyone's opinion and I know that BritCard is a good Cards fan and has his own opinion where he feels Simmons should play. DC Coach VJ has come out and said he will be a linebacker in his scheme. They will try to use him similar to how Clemson used him. What I am hearing from the AZ sports media is they feel it's important to start him at a specific position and go from there. Looks like the is the plan. i'm just glad we got him.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Mark my words, he will be a Goff killer for a QB who cannot think for himself... and the one on one with the brilliance which is Russell Wilson and the Hawks will be epic, the NFC West rocks :)

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What position did Urlacher play in college. Thomas Davis?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson