2020 1st round pick is Isaiah Simmons

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Obviously there was some doubts with him since he wasn't even picked as the first Olineman chosen (although Wills was my first pick).. The odds of several OL in the 1st making the pro bowl is pretty small. I like it when we get the best player at a particular position and our defense was the worst in the league.. so it could be argued it might even be a bigger need. I guess we can look back in a couple years and see how things play out..

I like Simmons. This was a draft were the Cardinals couldve drafted 5 different guys and I would've been happy with.

I was born in NC and all of my mom's family are SC people. Carolina is literally in my blood for hundreds of years. So taking a Carolina player always makes me happy. But Clemson?!?! My grandfather played baseball on their team and I have numerous other family members go there, but go Gamecocks! @Redrage

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This draft was tough for me. I liked both Simmons and Derrick Brown last year before they made the decision to return to school. That said, most people know on this board that I am a proponent of having a top offensive line to support a QB. I am disappointed we did not take Wirfs, but Simmons is a hell of a player. If he fails, it will be because the Cardinals were not smart enough to find ways to play to his strengths vs his weaknesses. I think Seattle, San Francisco and LA will target him. I think they will target his size, inexperience and lack of instincts. Simmons is a tremendous athlete and seems to be a good kid. Hopefully we don't mess this up.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I absolutely love this pick. Size, speed and true versatility. Like when we had honey badger at his best, it was difficult to define his position. So will it be with this guy. Which will make him difficult to game plan for.

I love that he wants to hit. His movement is extremely fluid. Almost looks effortless. And for a tall dude, that’s impressive. No stiffness. And he closes really quickly. So quickly it’s surprising because he doesn’t look like he’s moving that fast or going to make the play. That’s his stride and overall length.

our team has always played at its best defensively with versatile fast linebackers like Dansby and dwash. And though it’s impossible to truly predict this . . . I think he might end up better than both. He won’t be Kuechly, but I hope his impact is Kuechly-esque.

I am shocked he fell to us and we took him. Shocked and elated.

Last edited:
OP
OP
oaken1

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I absolutely love this pick. Size, speed and true versatility. Like when we had honey badger at his best, it was difficult to define his position. So will it be with this guy. Which will make him difficult to game plan for.

I love that he wants to hit. His movement is extremely fluid. Almost looks effortless. And for a y’all dude, that’s impressive. No stiffness. And he closes really quickly. So quickly it’s surprising because he doesn’t look like he’s moving that fast or going to make the play. That’s his stride and overall length.

our team has always played at its best defensively with versatile fast linebackers like Dansby and dwash. And though it’s impossible to truly predict this . . . I think he might end up better than both. He won’t be Kuechly, but I hope his impact is Kuechly-esque.

I am shocked he fell to us and we took him. Shocked and elated.
I agree
What set him apart for me was 240 pounds..... that’s linebacker weight not safety weight

couldn’t stomach another versatile safety trying to convert to linebacker
But a do it all backer is a whole nother story

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I agree
What set him apart for me was 240 pounds..... that’s linebacker weight not safety weight

couldn’t stomach another versatile safety trying to convert to linebacker
But a do it all backer is a whole nother story
Exactly. Urlacher was a beefy safety coming outta college that transitioned well to LB. Simmons is like him only faster. But maybe not as violent.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I want to FF 3 years to see what this kid looks like but the growing pains shouldn’t be bad. That’s where some of the veteran additions could help right away. If he was thrown into that front-7 last year it would’ve been rough.

He’d be ROY with Bowles (sorry couldn’t resist).

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
scott bordow
⁦‪@sbordow‬⁩

You must be registered for see images

Will be interesting to see who Simmons pushes out of the starting lineup. They didn't take him at No. 8 to be a backup.

Jalen Thompson / Byron Murphy

Assume Alford starts outside and Murphy would have played slot with Jalen Thompson coming off in nickel.

Now they will just play Simmons 90% of the time to do both and more.

Likely take some snaps from Devondre Campbell too.

If Vance is clever (which he isn't) he'll move him around and do a bunch of different things with him.

But as the video above says to get the best out of him you really need to rewrite your defense and I don't think Vance could or would do that. Plus with the shortened offseason there's a lot less time to do that.

So I think this year they use him in a more traditional role which is probably SS/Slot.

Last edited:

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jalen Thompson / Byron Murphy

Assume Alford starts outside and Murphy would have played slot with Jalen Thompson coming off in nickel.

Now they will just play Simmons 90% of the time to do both and more.

Likely take some snaps from Devondre Campbell too.

If Vance is clever (which he isn't) he'll move him around and do a bunch of different things with him.
On third downs can take snaps from n Jordan Hicks cause he can't cover anyone

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Baker and Simmons may play every snap this year.

Nickel and dime all the time.

Kennard-Phillips-Peters-Allen-Jones

Simmons-Hicks

Pat P, Alford, Murphy, Budda

Outstanding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't think they play Simmons at ILB this year or they wouldn't have paid Campbell $6m.

You can now have Hicks and Campbell as run stoppers, something they are both very good at, with Simmons playing a SS/SAM role covering TE's, slot receivers or rushing from the backfield.

Maybe on 3rd and long they kick Simmons inside for Campbell and have Murphy in the slot.

But think predominantly Jalen Thompson will lose the most snaps along with Murphy.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I want to FF 3 years to see what this kid looks like but the growing pains shouldn’t be bad. That’s where some of the veteran additions could help right away. If he was thrown into that front-7 last year it would’ve been rough.

He’d be ROY with Bowles (sorry couldn’t resist).

He would be ROY with Bowles. That's no lie.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I don't think they play Simmons at ILB this year or they wouldn't have paid Campbell $6m.

You can now have Hicks and Campbell as run stoppers, something they are both very good at, with Simmons playing a SS/SAM role covering TE's, slot receivers or rushing from the backfield.

Maybe on 3rd and long they kick Simmons inside for Campbell and have Murphy in the slot.

But think predominantly Jalen Thompson will lose the most snaps along with Murphy.

Uh, that makes no sense. They took Campbell on a one year deal because the Cards had no idea that Simmons would be there... now if the draft came before free agency this would make sense lol

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Uh, that makes no sense. They took Campbell on a one year deal because the Cards had no idea that Simmons would be there... now if the draft came before free agency this would sense lol

It's not just the money. I don't see why they would put a guy in there with 120 college snaps at ILB in his rookie season when you are paying a vet $6m.

When your current box safety is a 5th round pick with about 300 snaps at the position that most suits Simmons for now. At box safety he can cover TE's and WRs and be in position to stop the run and on some plays where you might want Simmons range deep you can flip him with Budda. Similar to what the Chargers do with James.

You can have Hicks, Campbell and Simmons or Hicks, Simmons and Thompson.

I know which looks best to me.

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Play Simmons as much as possible and rotate everyone else. Since he can do it all he just stays on the field along with CJ, Peterson and Baker

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This draft was tough for me. I liked both Simmons and Derrick Brown last year before they made the decision to return to school. That said, most people know on this board that I am a proponent of having a top offensive line to support a QB. I am disappointed we did not take Wirfs, but Simmons is a hell of a player. If he fails, it will be because the Cardinals were not smart enough to find ways to play to his strengths vs his weaknesses. I think Seattle, San Francisco and LA will target him. I think they will target his size, inexperience and lack of instincts. Simmons is a tremendous athlete and seems to be a good kid. Hopefully we don't mess this up.

I think Seattle (Wilson/Olsen), San Francisco (Kittle) and LA (Higbee/Everett) will be targeted by him!