Kenyan Drake Gets the Transition Tag

Reaction score
Well I didn't have him in fantasy... he actually underperformed and sent me to the playoffs.

I get very frustrated by unbridled optimism. I'm happy your cup is full, mine isn't, and especially isn't when the team has been bad. I'm very optimistic about the rest of the team at the moment, but I think Drake is a weak spot.

I think everybody could use a little of this in this day & age.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
If a starting RB is so bad that the entire community of fantasy players who are desperate for ANY running back production can feel safe to drop him, something has to be wrong. The entire point of fantasy football is predicting production.

Out of actual game context... thank you :)

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Like I said the moment he was tagged...Drake should be sprinting to Keim's office to sign that deal. I think most would consider Gordon over Drake (maybe not most on this board)...

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
Like I said the moment he was tagged...Drake should be sprinting to Keim's office to sign that deal. I think most would consider Gordon over Drake (maybe not most on this board)...

I would not consider Gordon over Drake for this offense but if I was Drake, he has more to gain on the safe side with the transition tag... then if he bawls out, he can still make more money with this current situation and a lesser deal later

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So is Drake waiting for the free agency money to dry up to see if he gets a better offer?

If so, this seems to be a dangerous strategy if the Cardinals can remove the transition tag.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So is Drake waiting for the free agency money to dry up to see if he gets a better offer?

If so, this seems to be a dangerous strategy if the Cardinals can remove the transition tag.
I think the Cards are dealing with him in good faith. I also think the Cards are pretty confident he’s not going to get an offer anywhere near what he was hoping for.

I believe Drake will sign a longer term deal and won’t be playing under the tag. All him and his agent need to do is look at the trend. Even if Drske played on the tag and had a phenomenal year the big money is not going to the rb position.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Clearly that play should be dismissed or somehow used against him. :rolleyes:
The fact that he went untouched is a pretty big deal. Any NFL running back should have made that run. One guy maybe had an angle on him, but that was about it. If he doesn't make that run, now we're talking about only two games over 100 yards. Evaluating a player is all about what you can replicate. The Cardinals didn't suddenly start using Andy Isabella because he got a 90 yard TD.

I think everybody could use a little of this in this day & age.
I prefer realism. It's gotten me far.

Out of actual game context... thank you :)
It uses in-game context all the time. If you think it doesn't, you don't play seriously. Fantasy dives into individual player performance more than just about any other coverage. It's the only place bad teams and bad-to-middling players are relevant.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
The fact that he went untouched is a pretty big deal. Any NFL running back should have made that run. One guy maybe had an angle on him, but that was about it. If he doesn't make that run, now we're talking about only two games over 100 yards. Evaluating a player is all about what you can replicate. The Cardinals didn't suddenly start using Andy Isabella because he got a 90 yard TD.

I prefer realism. It's gotten me far.

It uses in-game context all the time. If you think it doesn't, you don't play seriously. Fantasy dives into individual player performance more than just about any other coverage. It's the only place bad teams and bad-to-middling players are relevant.

No, it does not at all. They do not give extra freaking points based on the actual context of a game and when a play matters

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
I would imagine most teams would easily take Gordon over Drake, and I think it's pretty safe to say Denver never would've given Drake a contract like they gave Gordon. Drake, also, should not make more than Ekeler or Fournette...that makes 0 sense.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Then why didn't we see David Johnson making runs like that? I don't think he would have taken it to the house.
He made receiving plays like that... he looks pretty fast here.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

DJ didn't get a ton of holes. I'll agree with you though, Drake ran with a bit more decisiveness or true speed depending on how you look at it. But I think we can come up with a lot of thoughts as to why DJ was tentative, whether it be fear of injury, lack of desire (not my opinion, but for some), or lack of understanding of the offense.

No, it does not at all. They do not give extra freaking points based on the actual context of a game and when a play matters
I'm guessing you don't listen to any fantasy football coverage then, because they don't sit there and exclusively talk about points earned. There's a lot of really wonderful information in there, and ESPN does great stuff with consistency ratings too. If a player is on the field because he understands the offense and is a better pass blocker or something, they will talk about it. I listen to an average of about four hours of NFL content a day during the season, and I guarantee that the fantasy podcasts talk more about player performance than the mainstream ones.

I would imagine most teams would easily take Gordon over Drake, and I think it's pretty safe to say Denver never would've given Drake a contract like they gave Gordon. Drake, also, should not make more than Ekeler or Fournette...that makes 0 sense.
I wholeheartedly agree.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If I need to struggle to get yards on average, give me Gordon over Drake.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Melvin Gordon contract structure:

You must be registered for see images attach

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Heh welcome to the world of @Solar7 where an 80 yard run is a negative!

I dont know how many times over the years I looked at a Cardinals defensive performance and said I thought they played really well except for that 82 yard screen play that went for a TD.

The fact of the matter is that most big games by offensive players feature at least one explosive play that increases the YPC.

What @Solar7 doesnt account for in all his arguments against Drake is that Drake has averaged a very good YPC over the length of his career.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Smart move on his part. He wasn't going to see a big number like that on the open market.

Can the Cards still negotiate with him to add a few more years and ease the cap hit?

Yes to both. Smart move and the Cards can negotiate.

Does that change the situation...is he still allowed to get an offer from another team or is that done now?

No, he is with the Cards for 1 year and approx. $8 mil with the Cards able to negotiate for more years.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I didn't see anything that Drake did that Edmonds didn't do himself in a game with primary carries against the Giants.

Stat accumulation happened in a game played in a rain storm. Not sure I would use this game.

I am interested in seeing Edmonds this year as I felt the type of running plays changed in that giants game. Did KK learn something?

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Stat accumulation happened in a game played in a rain storm. Not sure I would use this game.

I am interested in seeing Edmonds this year as I felt the type of running plays changed in that giants game. Did KK learn something?

Edmond can play some snaps, but he is terrible as a blocker, so he can't be the running back 2

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
A multi-year contract for $8 million per would be ridiculous. If they don't negotiate a new deal, I can accept the over pay for one season.

I am not as enamored with Drake as much as, it seems, most on the board are. But, he is here now so I hope he proves worth the cash.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Glad drake will be with cards another yr

Now we will find out if drake was a half season wonder or if he is for real

Looking forward to seeing drake Hopkins murray!!! And who ever cards get at 8

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose