Kenyan Drake Gets the Transition Tag

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
LOL what a fantasy land you live in.
I'm positive after the direction this offseason has taken, but acting like this team has proven anything yet is a fantasy land.

Last I checked we still have the league's worst defense. While I like our pickups thus far, none of them are superstars.

Again, I'm positive. We just haven't proven anyone wrong yet.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Dude, 80 yards is of course not a negative. But it's not particularly replicable. Because of Drake's tremendously low amount of attempts compared to a normal player, the one big run has an anomalous effect on his stats. If you're in the game of extrapolating Drake's production in 8 contests to 16, you'd be counting on two 80 yard runs. We all know that ain't happening for most any player. It's like looking at Tim Hightower's career playoff YPC. One huge run again the Saints is the vast reason for it.

I haven't ignored YPC. I've talked about it multiple times, albeit maybe not in this thread. I have no faith that Kenyan Drake who gets 230 carries or whatever keeps that up. The dude has never been the main ball carrier in an offense in college or the pros. It's nit his game to grind it out all season.
Happened to be looking into his stats and the effect of the 80 yard run and came to the conclusion that he was good even if you remove it.

Without the 80 yard run he still would have had 563 yards on 4.6 YPC and 7 TDs in 8 games. That would have had him on pace for 1120 yards and 14 TDs in 16 games. That's a very good year.

I also decided to look at the top rushers of last season and also noticed that if you remove their longest run you end up with a similar result with them losing about a half yard per carry and dropping to around 4.5-4.7 yards per carry.

In conclusion Drake was on pace in those 8 games to have a similar season to the top rushers in the game and that is with or without the 80 yard run.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Happened to be looking into his stats and the effect of the 80 yard run and came to the conclusion that he was good even if you remove it.

Without the 80 yard run he still would have had 563 yards on 4.6 YPC and 7 TDs in 8 games. That would have had him on pace for 1120 yards and 14 TDs in 16 games. That's a very good year.

I also decided to look at the top rushers of last season and also noticed that if you remove their longest run you end up with a similar result with them losing about a half yard per carry and dropping to around 4.5-4.7 yards per carry.

In conclusion Drake was on pace in those 8 games to have a similar season to the top rushers in the game and that is with or without the 80 yard run.
He's never done it, man. I don't know how else to frame it. Please soul search and ask if you really think Drake's gonna hit 14 TDs this year because you're taking the results from a game where the Browns were reeling after losing their best defensive player and functionally gave up. A game where according to reports, the other sideline was asking our team to come get them (true or not).

Drake's history, as even @Harry says in his other thread, is poor.

I know I'm repeating myself, but he just isn't, and never has been, a bellcow runningback. Never. His games, and his biggest rush, were functionally anomalies. For 5 out of 8 games, he was okay at best, bad at other times.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
He's never done it, man. I don't know how else to frame it. Please soul search and ask if you really think Drake's gonna hit 14 TDs this year because you're taking the results from a game where the Browns were reeling after losing their best defensive player and functionally gave up. A game where according to reports, the other sideline was asking our team to come get them (true or not).

Drake's history, as even @Harry says in his other thread, is poor.

I know I'm repeating myself, but he just isn't, and never has been, a bellcow runningback. Never. His games, and his biggest rush, were functionally anomalies. For 5 out of 8 games, he was okay at best, bad at other times.
Well it's not hard to see that he never got the opportunity to get the type of usage that he got with us. Once he got that kind of usage he went off. My question regarding him isn't whether or not he can produce with his touches (career 4.8 YPC), but whether or not he can remain healthy over 16 games with something close to 300 touches. I suspect he probably can with about 250 total touches, but that isn't exactly a lot.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Well it's not hard to see that he never got the opportunity to get the type of usage that he got with us. Once he got that kind of usage he went off. My question regarding him isn't whether or not he can produce with his touches (career 4.8 YPC), but whether or not he can remain healthy over 16 games with something close to 300 touches. I suspect he probably can with about 250 total touches, but that isn't exactly a lot.
Two coaching staffs just "never gave him the opportunity?" He never got more than 100 carries in college because he just didn't get the opportunity?

I can't fathom that people don't see there's a fundamental problem with this guy. It's not like Gase's staff inherited him from some previous staff, or Flores had any reason to sit him behind Kalen Ballage and Mark Walton. Something's up.

I have a feeling he's not in his playbook, has other things he focuses on, or doesn't really care until money is on the line. And he made it clear during the season and offseason that money was the number one priority.

bennyperrin23

Veteran
Reaction score
Can’t teach speed and cut back instincts. Drake has both of those. Bama had 4 backs in yeldon,Ingram, Henry and drake. Wtf how are you going to crack that? As I recall he had some pretty big games in Miami when he was the feature back. I think a 200 yard game. Anyway all this bad mojo is perfect so you can jump on the bandwagon in week 8 when he cracks 1000 yards.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Can’t teach speed and cut back instincts. Drake has both of those. Bama had 4 backs in yeldon,Ingram, Henry and drake. Wtf how are you going to crack that? As I recall he had some pretty big games in Miami when he was the feature back. I think a 200 yard game. Anyway all this bad mojo is perfect so you can jump on the bandwagon in week 8 when he cracks 1000 yards.
You're not thinking of the right player. You're mixing him up with Jay Ajayi. Also, Drake spent three years behind TJ Yeldon in Alabama, which I'm not sure I'm supposed to find impressive given his NFL production.

Drake has had five 100 yard games ever in the NFL. Four seasons, five 100 yard games.

bennyperrin23

Veteran
Reaction score
Your finally right on something solar, I am a bama grad, my dad won a nc at bama in 71 and my uncle two in 78,79. Since we always have a stable of backs and we always mostly win now a days it’s hard to remember which years drake was in. The years run together. Lol. Anyway I don’t like any of your takes so far. There aren’t any great lineman in this years draft based on what keim said. LT is a premium. He didn’t say RT did he?

waterboy

Rookie
Reaction score
Seems like we're snakebit with running backs and o-linemen. I don't know what happened to DJ and surely don't know what to expect with Drake after seeing him for just a handful of games. But you can't argue with our luck (or Keim's skill) in the Hopkins trade.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Seems like we're snakebit with running backs and o-linemen. I don't know what happened to DJ and surely don't know what to expect with Drake after seeing him for just a handful of games. But you can't argue with our luck (or Keim's skill) in the Hopkins trade.
Man.... Again! Seen a few of these lately.

Almost 7 years on the board and only 26 posts! And most of the activity is recent! Welcome to the board @waterboy.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet

·
1h

While the #AZCardinals & transition tagged RB Kenyan Drake are not close to a long-term deal, his deadline actually isn’t today like the players who received the franchise tag. Drake has signed his tag, so he can keep negotiating with AZ. For transition tagged players, the rules:

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Kenyan Drake™
⁦‪@KDx32‬⁩

You must be registered for see images

I’m not too concerned about signing an extension currently. That’ll come in due time. Right now I’m focused on everyday getting in the best shape of my life to help this team play winning football. Everything else will run its course. Stay safe, wash your hands, wear a mask

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Two coaching staffs just "never gave him the opportunity?" He never got more than 100 carries in college because he just didn't get the opportunity?

I can't fathom that people don't see there's a fundamental problem with this guy. It's not like Gase's staff inherited him from some previous staff, or Flores had any reason to sit him behind Kalen Ballage and Mark Walton. Something's up.

I have a feeling he's not in his playbook, has other things he focuses on, or doesn't really care until money is on the line. And he made it clear during the season and offseason that money was the number one priority.

I think your last paragraph is gratuitous.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I think your last paragraph is gratuitous.
That comment is about four months old, but I want to clarify I don't mean that he's not in his playbook as a Cardinal, but maybe throughout his time as a Dolphin. If he's really talented enough to produce on the level of those three games and be a starting/starring running back, why didn't he work his way onto the field across two head coaches and four offensive coordinators while with the organization?

A year ago, with no Adam Gase, he started less games than Kalen Ballage, Patrick Laird, and Mark Walton.

It's almost relieving to continue an argument from before the pandemic, haha. Now I'll just be happy if they play. And to be clear on where I stand today, we haven't overpaid Drake, appear to be far from an extension, and hopefully can find the right balance moving forward.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
hungry dogs run faster.... love the 1 year contracts

David Johnson set the bar for signing a contract and giving up on the game. Albert Haynesworth set the bar for signing a big contract and becoming a spectacle. Agreed. Love the 1 year deal. Especially for a young running back

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That comment is about four months old, but I want to clarify I don't mean that he's not in his playbook as a Cardinal, but maybe throughout his time as a Dolphin. If he's really talented enough to produce on the level of those three games and be a starting/starring running back, why didn't he work his way onto the field across two head coaches and four offensive coordinators while with the organization?

A year ago, with no Adam Gase, he started less games than Kalen Ballage, Patrick Laird, and Mark Walton.

It's almost relieving to continue an argument from before the pandemic, haha. Now I'll just be happy if they play. And to be clear on where I stand today, we haven't overpaid Drake, appear to be far from an extension, and hopefully can find the right balance moving forward.

If he gets 10M he is overpaid.