Kenyan Drake Gets the Transition Tag

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I guess that's a good thing, choice made easier with the 10 mil bump in the CAP.

Since this isn't the exclusive tag …… I forget the parameters of the Transition Tag.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
I guess that's a good thing, choice made easier with the 10 mil bump in the CAP.

Since this isn't the exclusive tag …… I forget the parameters of the Transition Tag.

De facto RFA. Cards can match any FA offer made to him.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So we can match any offer given to him but we don't get any draft compensation if we don't meet the offer.

I recall teams use to include poison pills in the contract that made it impossible for the team who tagged the player to match the offer. Don't know if that can still happen.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Average of top 10 at the position IIRC.

And with Freeman getting released and Henry getting tagged, the average may be less. Not sure.

Edit: Looks like 10.2mm in 2020 with a lot to still work out. Was 9.09mm in 2019.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So it's better he get an offer somewhere else or otherwise they must pay him 10 mil?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like they want to let somebody else at the market… But no guarantees anybody’s even going to talk to him. RBs seem “easy” to find nowadays

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
Average of top 10 at the position IIRC.

And with Freeman getting released and Henry getting tagged, the average may be less. Not sure.

Edit: Looks like 10.2mm in 2020 with a lot to still work out. Was 9.09mm in 2019.

Yikes. $10.2 mil is insane. I would've hard stopped at $6mil and understood had we let him walk.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Poison pill language was removed a few years back.

I don't think the transition tag gets used very much anymore.

What are the details?

Can you sign and trade like the franchise tag?

Does this mean 10m is what Drake will average in new deal or is this a power move by the Cardinals to be able to match deals?

Edit - looks like 8.4m?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
So we can match any offer given to him but we don't get any draft compensation if we don't meet the offer.

I recall teams use to include poison pills in the contract that made it impossible for the team who tagged the player to match the offer. Don't know if that can still happen.

The NFL removed the poison pill...

"No Offer Sheet may contain a Principal Term that would create rights or obligations for the Old Club that differ in any way (including but not limited to the amount of compensation that would be paid, the circumstances in which compensation would be guaranteed, or the circumstances in which other contractual rights would or would not vest) from the rights or obligations that such Principal Term would create for the Club extending the Offer Sheet (i.e., no 'poison pills')."

If I remember right one team put in a "bonus" for every time they played at the tagging teams stadium and it made the deal out of their price range. Smart but not keeping with the intent of the rule so it was changed.

It does give the Cardinals a little more negotiation time and still allows him to make visits to other teams.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So does he automatically get the transition average? can still negotiate? Can we still cut ties or does this gaurantee/ tie him to the Cardinals for 2020?

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I would have to think that Freeman getting released along with Henry getting tagged makes him the top RB on the market with many teams interested.

This is probably more than we wanted to spend but gives us leverage in any situation.

Wonder if we receive compensation if we decide not to match an offer.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Was he seeking a huge deal? Why not just offer him a contract? The DJ deal stings, but you need a running back.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So this doesn't mean we can't still negotiate a deal with him....or that he can't get offers from other teams.

What it means is that we get to match any offer he gets, or he can refuse all offers and take the 1 year deal for the TT amount.

Obviously, it will depend on the offers he is given, but this is a great move for the Cardinals. He may get offers from other teams, and I am positive he will get an offer from us. He will then have to look at the guaranteed money and decide if he wants to test the market again next year as a RB who is one year older, or secure his money now.

If I had to guess we will make him an offer around 6 million per year. Other teams might offer him 5-6 million per year...so it depends on the guaranteed money. Either way, we will end up keeping Drake unless some team massively overpays.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would have to think that Freeman getting released along with Henry getting tagged makes him the top RB on the market with many teams interested.

This is probably more than we wanted to spend but gives us leverage in any situation.

Wonder if we receive compensation if we decide not to match an offer.

Just heard on NFLN that we won't receive any compensation and Zeno has been posting good info on this as well.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I also read that we can rescind the tag at any time but can't use the tag then until next year. So if no teams make offers or the offers are 4 to 6 mil we can remove the tag and offer a more CAP friendly amount and see if he takes it. His feelings may get hurt but hopefully he says okay the NFL doesn't understand my true worth and I'll just have to show them again how good I am.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Wow. If I were Drake, I wouldn't waste a moment signing that tender.

The Cards seem poised to spend Murray's second year getting out from under more poor Keim contracts instead of taking advantage of the benefits of his rookie contract.
That is the Keim cycle. Either way, the team is disadvantaged.