Kenyan Drake Gets the Transition Tag

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Win/win with Drake signing the tender today. In all likelihood, they'll now negotiate a multi-year deal that lessens the hit this year and spreads a reasonable contract over 3 years.

Solar now enters a period of deep depression. Send condolences.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Win/win with Drake signing the tender today. In all likelihood, they'll now negotiate a multi-year deal that lessens the hit this year and spreads a reasonable contract over 3 years.

Maybe, or you rent running backs on a year-to-year basis b/c of guys like David Johnson and Todd Gurley.

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Maybe, or you rent running backs on a year-to-year basis b/c of guys like David Johnson and Todd Gurley.

The numbers won't remotely approach their contracts. Cards will be fine, even if he doesn't pan out, or is solid for one year then falls off.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'd be fine using one of our 4th rounders on a RB that could potentially start. You let Drake play out the year on the tag, you have Edmonds cheap and the 4th round rookie cheap. If Drake plays well great, of not you are off his deal next off-season and get a replacement

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Heh welcome to the world of @Solar7 where an 80 yard run is a negative!

I dont know how many times over the years I looked at a Cardinals defensive performance and said I thought they played really well except for that 82 yard screen play that went for a TD.

The fact of the matter is that most big games by offensive players feature at least one explosive play that increases the YPC.

What @Solar7 doesnt account for in all his arguments against Drake is that Drake has averaged a very good YPC over the length of his career.
Dude, 80 yards is of course not a negative. But it's not particularly replicable. Because of Drake's tremendously low amount of attempts compared to a normal player, the one big run has an anomalous effect on his stats. If you're in the game of extrapolating Drake's production in 8 contests to 16, you'd be counting on two 80 yard runs. We all know that ain't happening for most any player. It's like looking at Tim Hightower's career playoff YPC. One huge run again the Saints is the vast reason for it.

I haven't ignored YPC. I've talked about it multiple times, albeit maybe not in this thread. I have no faith that Kenyan Drake who gets 230 carries or whatever keeps that up. The dude has never been the main ball carrier in an offense in college or the pros. It's nit his game to grind it out all season.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

I'm fine with one year. If we negotiate against ourselves and hand this guy another dumb long RB contract like we just escaped, I'll laugh through my tears.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Dude, 80 yards is of course not a negative. But it's not particularly replicable. Because of Drake's tremendously low amount of attempts compared to a normal player, the one big run has an anomalous effect on his stats. If you're in the game of extrapolating Drake's production in 8 contests to 16, you'd be counting on two 80 yard runs. We all know that ain't happening for most any player. It's like looking at Tim Hightower's career playoff YPC. One huge run again the Saints is the vast reason for it.

I haven't ignored YPC. I've talked about it multiple times, albeit maybe not in this thread. I have no faith that Kenyan Drake who gets 230 carries or whatever keeps that up. The dude has never been the main ball carrier in an offense in college or the pros. It's nit his game to grind it out all season.

His YPC has been around the same ballpark his entire career.

You act like 230 is a significantly large number of carries.

I looked that up once and like 250 backs in the history of the NFL have had more. It's not a big number at all.

Even if you subtract out that 80 yard run, which is ******** btw, he still would have rushed for 80 yards in that game for near 4 ypc.

Drake is no world beater, but he is a good starting RB.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I'm fine with one year. If we negotiate against ourselves and hand this guy another dumb long RB contract like we just escaped, I'll laugh through my tears.

Yeah it's good to get a do over.

What I hope is that the Cardinals draft someone like Akers and mix him in enough to get some good experience and then let Drake walk.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I actually think the cards should stay with the one year deal.

It is better to wait and see if we get a good RB in the draft.

Drake may regress, and even if he doesn’t his value is not likely to go up.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't think we need to take a RB in draft unless a good one falls to Round 6. Paying Drake $8M+ this year while maybe a little more than he is worth is a hell of a lot better paying Johnson $13M this year. We still have Edmonds and if ARZ needs another RB there are still plenty on the FA market who could be had at a reasonable price.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think we need to take a RB in draft unless a good one falls to Round 6. Paying Drake $8M+ this year while maybe a little more than he is worth is a hell of a lot better paying Johnson $13M this year. We still have Edmonds and if ARZ needs another RB there are still plenty on the FA market who could be had at a reasonable price.

A third or fourth round back, who could replace Drake in a year, is an investment at a very reasonable price.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
His YPC has been around the same ballpark his entire career.

You act like 230 is a significantly large number of carries.

I looked that up once and like 250 backs in the history of the NFL have had more. It's not a big number at all.

Even if you subtract out that 80 yard run, which is ******** btw, he still would have rushed for 80 yards in that game for near 4 ypc.

Drake is no world beater, but he is a good starting RB.

230 carries is about 100 more than he's ever had in his career up until 2019. It's a workhorse back's carry count, more or less.

I'm subtracting the 80 yard run in my arguments because it's something other analysts do, to show a guy isn't as consistent as people may think when you look at overall numbers. Some long runs are made from the RB's skillset, with a good jump cut, spin, move, some kind of contact. Not a defensive breakdown. The run Drake had was nothing of his own doing, short of outrunning Lane O'Hill, the only guy with an angle.

But hey, if you're comfortable saying he's not a world beater, I'm cool with that. Maybe mistakenly, I've been getting the impression people think he's a surefire star - like he's gonna come out and run for nearly 1300 yards, a ton of TDs, and stack on a bunch of receiving to go with it. That's really all I'm against.

Yeah it's good to get a do over.

What I hope is that the Cardinals draft someone like Akers and mix him in enough to get some good experience and then let Drake walk.
Looks like we surprisingly agree here. I just don't wanna lock ourselves into a multiple year deal on a running back like him. There's so much young talent that seems to come out every year, and backs are just falling off a cliff as they get older.

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
NFL.com links don't work on ASFN and automatically forward to Game Pass. For anyone looking to check out the profile, just copy and paste the link.

Looks like a good prospect!

Thanks, was wondering what was up with that.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a lot to pay but the Cardinals have their running back and they have addressed some basic needs heading into the draft.

I guess the Cardinals didn't want to risk losing him in free agency.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I luv we got Drake back but since without a second Dobbins is a pipe dream, this boy played behind a crap OL, and his football speed is faster than his forty, and can catch... Lamical Perine is your diamond in the rough
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
230 carries is about 100 more than he's ever had in his career up until 2019. It's a workhorse back's carry count, more or less.

I'm subtracting the 80 yard run in my arguments because it's something other analysts do, to show a guy isn't as consistent as people may think when you look at overall numbers. Some long runs are made from the RB's skillset, with a good jump cut, spin, move, some kind of contact. Not a defensive breakdown. The run Drake had was nothing of his own doing, short of outrunning Lane O'Hill, the only guy with an angle.

But hey, if you're comfortable saying he's not a world beater, I'm cool with that. Maybe mistakenly, I've been getting the impression people think he's a surefire star - like he's gonna come out and run for nearly 1300 yards, a ton of TDs, and stack on a bunch of receiving to go with it. That's really all I'm against.

Looks like we surprisingly agree here. I just don't wanna lock ourselves into a multiple year deal on a running back like him. There's so much young talent that seems to come out every year, and backs are just falling off a cliff as they get older.

I think he is a guaranteed 1000 rusher given more carries and the same level of run blocking.

I'm pleased as punch that DJ has been traded, because before the Cardinals were stuck likely needing another RB because we cant really count on DJ AND the Cardinals needed a true #1 WR.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I think he is a guaranteed 1000 rusher given more carries and the same level of run blocking.

I'm pleased as punch that DJ has been traded, because before the Cardinals were stuck likely needing another RB because we cant really count on DJ AND the Cardinals needed a true #1 WR.
I think his efficiency will drop dramatically. But I'm happy we traded DJ. I couldn't have fathomed that kind of deal, y'know? I'd have been laughed off the board two weeks ago if I proposed the trade we got for Hopkins.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
A third or fourth round back, who could replace Drake in a year, is an investment at a very reasonable price.
Could ARZ not just wait until next year to get a replacement through the draft and just get a cheap 3rd string RB in FA? I wouldn't want to use a third round pick on a RB that could cost us a potential starter at another position when they would be at best a back up if they beat out Edmonds. If your looking to get a third string back then maybe look in sixth round if they are BPA at that point.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson