Kenyan Drake Gets the Transition Tag

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Both ESPN's Fantasy Focus and Bill Barnwell's show, including Fantasy Footballers.

On a less sourced note, the dude was dropped in every single one of my fantasy leagues before the Browns game outside of dynasty and 18-league formats.
Both ESPN's Fantasy Focus and Bill Barnwell's show, including Fantasy Footballers.

On a less sourced note, the dude was dropped in every single one of my fantasy leagues before the Browns game outside of dynasty and 18-league formats.

When people start citing Fantasy Football sites as credence for understanding a player's value, that's when I think they lose the gist of actual football and how players are being used and what their role is to win :)

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
When people start citing Fantasy Football sites as credence for understanding a player's value, that's when I think they lose the gist of actual football and how players are being used and what their role is to win :)
If a starting RB is so bad that the entire community of fantasy players who are desperate for ANY running back production can feel safe to drop him, something has to be wrong. The entire point of fantasy football is predicting production.

HGC

All Star
Reaction score

I appreciate Solar’s passion and fandom for the team but he shouldn’t garner another response from anyone on this topic after citing the sources for his argument. He won’t get one from me.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I appreciate Solar’s passion and fandom for the team but he shouldn’t garner another response from anyone on this topic after citing the sources for his argument. He won’t get one from me.
I can't see how major NFL podcasts are irrelevant, fantasy or not. One of ESPN's top NFL insiders who appears daily on NFL Live is the host of their fantasy podcast.

Is there an NFL GM podcast I'm not privy to or something? What's an approved source?

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
This is why some fantasy football players do not get the NFL. They get caught up in FF rules and think a real team can be ran that way. Their argument....I won my league. I understand where Solar is coming from now. KD is not a good FF player so he cant be good for our team.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is why some fantasy football players do not get the NFL. They get caught up in FF rules and think a real team can be ran that way. Their argument....I won my league. I understand where Solar is coming from now. KD is not a good FF player so he cant be good for our team.

thats not even correct. For the last 7 games of the season he had the 4th most fantasy points of any RB.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
You guys realize I'm not basing my argument over fantasy, right? I mentioned two freaking fantasy based podcasts, one non-fantasy podcast, and suddenly I'm just calling KD a bad fantasy player. Those just happened to be examples of NFL podcasts I listen to on a regular basis who were saying Drake wasn't special, especially after he fell off a cliff before the Browns game. They're not the only place I heard it. But I can't give you a ton more off the top of my head.

thats not even correct. For the last 7 games of the season he had the 4th most fantasy points of any RB.
That's only based off of the three big games. If you counted on him as a starter following the first 49ers game, you probably weren't around to reap the benefits of the Browns and Seattle games, which is where the bulk of his production came from, which pushes up the average.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
The other issue I'm having in finding more about Kenyan Drake before the Browns game is that it's difficult to find anything but fantasy football stuff about Drake because "RB on 3-11-1 team that cost a six round pick sucks" isn't exactly headline worthy material or valid to discuss anywhere but the fantasy landscape where people are still interested in teams that are doing poorly.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Once Drake realizes there is no RB market, let alone for a non-elite RB like him, I'd be happy to sign him to a 3 year deal to lessen the cap hit. Still fairly young and lots of tread left on his tires. RBs are kind of dime a dozen now, but with Drake you make a safe bet that he fits the scheme and will produce. I feel much better with Drake, Edmonds and a mid/late round rookie than just Edmonds and a rook.

A dark horse to sign with us for cheap could be DeAndre Washington. KK loved him at Texas Tech and made him the focal point of their offense. KK went run-heavy with Washington as the bellcow. He is a solid receiver and shows good contact balance as a runner. Perfect rotational RB that won't break the bank at all.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am talking about over his career he has never been a stud FF RB1. That is where I think Solar is basing his argument over.

It is insane to look at his whole career when you can just look at his time on this team. He was on the dolphins, in a completely different system, with completely different players around him.

All anyone should care about is how he does in Kingsbury's system - and he thrived. Half the season is enough of a sample size to predict him continuing to be successful, at least in the coming season.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
It is insane to look at his whole career when you can just look at his time on this team. He was on the dolphins, in a completely different system, with completely different players around him.

All anyone should care about is how he does in Kingsbury's system - and he thrived. Half the season is enough of a sample size to predict him continuing to be successful, at least in the coming season.
I'm evaluating him by not ignoring his bad or mediocre games for half of the season. I'm not sure why they're getting handwaved away from the rest of the Drake fans.

If Drake disappears for half of the games next year and puts up stinkers under 40 yards with zero TDs, it will be a sign we're not doing very well.

At this point it's moot besides hopefully not overpaying him to a long-term deal, since going into the draft with only Edmonds would be a bad decision where we stand today. He'll be our starting RB most likely, and I'll hope I'm wrong, or that our revamped WR situation (and hopefully a shiny new RT) gives him unprecedented room to run.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm evaluating him by not ignoring his bad or mediocre games for half of the season. I'm not sure why they're getting handwaved away from the rest of the Drake fans.

If Drake disappears for half of the games next year and puts up stinkers under 40 yards with zero TDs, it will be a sign we're not doing very well.

At this point it's moot besides hopefully not overpaying him to a long-term deal, since going into the draft with only Edmonds would be a bad decision where we stand today. He'll be our starting RB most likely, and I'll hope I'm wrong, or that our revamped WR situation (and hopefully a shiny new RT) gives him unprecedented room to run.
I’ll take 40 yards in 10 carries when Kyler is throwing for 350 and 3 td’s while taking what the defense is giving us.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score

I agree with 100%, I am not a FF player except daily leagues. I am just trying to understand Solar's position and I think it is all on FF. Because the NLF is all about what have you done lately, and lately IMO he has been pretty good.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I agree with 100%, I am not a FF player except daily leagues. I am just trying to understand Solar's position and I think it is all on FF. Because the NLF is all about what have you done lately, and lately IMO he has been pretty good.
My position is based on these stat lines:

You must be registered for see images attach

This is looks like the kind of Kenyan Drake that played for the Dolphins. That's a significant stretch of poor play, where outside of the Rams, the games were close enough that the running game shouldn't have been abandoned. It's not like we were heavily down and needed to come back with the pass.

These are pretty bad games.

Then when we get to the Browns game, I didn't see anything that Drake did that Edmonds didn't do himself in a game with primary carries against the Giants.

Seattle was a good game all around for the team, but Drake's production is widely a part of an 80 yard run where he went untouched.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
My position is based on these stat lines:

You must be registered for see images attach

This is looks like the kind of Kenyan Drake that played for the Dolphins. That's a significant stretch of poor play, where outside of the Rams, the games were close enough that the running game shouldn't have been abandoned. It's not like we were heavily down and needed to come back with the pass.

These are pretty bad games.

Then when we get to the Browns game, I didn't see anything that Drake did that Edmonds didn't do himself in a game with primary carries against the Giants.

Seattle was a good game all around for the team, but Drake's production is widely a part of an 80 yard run where he went untouched.

We get it he cost you a championship in your FFL.

I'm kidding Solar I always had a healthy respect for you and your posts, but man you have went off the chain somewhere. Like a dog on a bone these days, we get your stance and you're not going to change it, and you have heard everyone else's stance and they're not going to change it. Dave made a great post about these 4 games you bring up, so either you got him on ignore or you just refuse to look at things from another perspective. The glass is as full as you make it...Mine is always full.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
We get it he cost you a championship in your FFL.

I'm kidding Solar I always had a healthy respect for you and your posts, but man you have went off the chain somewhere. Like a dog on a bone these days, we get your stance and you're not going to change it, and you have heard everyone else's stance and they're not going to change it. Dave made a great post about these 4 games you bring up, so either you got him on ignore or you just refuse to look at things from another perspective. The glass is as full as you make it...Mine is always full.
Well I didn't have him in fantasy... he actually underperformed and sent me to the playoffs.

I get very frustrated by unbridled optimism. I'm happy your cup is full, mine isn't, and especially isn't when the team has been bad. I'm very optimistic about the rest of the team at the moment, but I think Drake is a weak spot.

Dave is a very positive guy. I didn't ignore his post, but there's a difference between desperately wanting a guy to be good, and him actually being good. I watched those games with my own eyes, next to people who weren't Cardinals fans, and they said, "wow, Drake looks like a non-factor, what happened?" Is his perspective is essentially that Drake didn't get carries, so it's not his fault? Or that it's not his fault, because those teams are good?

It's the same narrative as Drake with the Dolphins. "It's not his fault," because of Gase. I fail to believe coaches are just being stubborn and not putting the guy on the field for arbitrary reasons.

We likely have different perspectives on how this thread went down. I left it alone for nearly three pages, made one comment about how it made sense that we applied the tag but I'd love to see how Gordon does instead of Drake, and people jumped down my throat, regardless of almost every analyst site grading out Gordon as the better free agent option. And now it's led to four pages of these arguments.

Some others have agreed to disagree, which I'm fine with, but if people want to keep asking why I feel this way, I'm going to keep backing it up with numbers and perspective.

As of today, we're probably going to have to re-sign Drake, all I can do is hope and pray it's for peanuts on the short term.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Well I didn't have him in fantasy... he actually underperformed and sent me to the playoffs.

I get very frustrated by unbridled optimism. I'm happy your cup is full, mine isn't, and especially isn't when the team has been bad. I'm very optimistic about the rest of the team at the moment, but I think Drake is a weak spot.

Dave is a very positive guy. I didn't ignore his post, but there's a difference between desperately wanting a guy to be good, and him actually being good. I watched those games with my own eyes, next to people who weren't Cardinals fans, and they said, "wow, Drake looks like a non-factor, what happened?" Is his perspective is essentially that Drake didn't get carries, so it's not his fault? Or that it's not his fault, because those teams are good?

It's the same narrative as Drake with the Dolphins. "It's not his fault," because of Gase. I fail to believe coaches are just being stubborn and not putting the guy on the field for arbitrary reasons.

We likely have different perspectives on how this thread went down. I left it alone for nearly three pages, made one comment about how it made sense that we applied the tag but I'd love to see how Gordon does instead of Drake, and people jumped down my throat, regardless of almost every analyst site grading out Gordon as the better free agent option. And now it's led to four pages of these arguments.

Some others have agreed to disagree, which I'm fine with, but if people want to keep asking why I feel this way, I'm going to keep backing it up with numbers and perspective.

As of today, we're probably going to have to re-sign Drake, all I can do is hope and pray it's for peanuts on the short term.
I don't see how Drake is a "weak spot". He may not be an elite RB, but he does what we need him to do quite well and that is give us big plays in both the running and passing games. Like I have said before he is not a "workhorse" back that will get 25-30 touches every game, but the big play ability is more important for this offense. We then have another big play guy in Edmonds. As long as Drake isn't getting paid premium money like $10m+ than I think he is well worth keeping around.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I don't see how Drake is a "weak spot". He may not be an elite RB, but he does what we need him to do quite well and that is give us big plays in both the running and passing games. Like I have said before he is not a "workhorse" back that will get 25-30 touches every game, but the big play ability is more important for this offense. We then have another big play guy in Edmonds. As long as Drake isn't getting paid premium money like $10m+ than I think he is well worth keeping around.
I won't argue he is worth keeping around right now. Gotta do something with DJ gone. Edmonds is not enough. I don't disagree with anything you said here. Just do it at a smart cost both financially and in length.