With the 8th pick in the NFL Draft......

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Again, trotting out those three means nothing to me when two of the teams in our division that just went to the playoffs/Super Bowl just were in the top 5 in rushing in the league.

We have Peterson, Alford, and Murphy. Okudah is a luxury pick, one we can't afford.

A team can ALWAYS afford a potential All Pro corner on a rookie deal.

#worsetakeever

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let Peterson continue to play washed up next season & CB will be the biggest need on the team.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I just don’t understand why you keep mentioning Alford like he’s good.
Keim signed Alford to a deal like he's good and already verified he'll be back this year with a big role. So, that's what I'm basing this off of. He's got a top 8 salary on our team this year at the moment. In fact, he'll likely start over Murphy, who Keim had in the top 15 of best players in the Draft last year.

Let Peterson continue to play washed up next season & CB will be the biggest need on the team.
We're already working to re-sign PP as well. So you should probably get used to it.

A team can ALWAYS afford a potential All Pro corner on a rookie deal.

#worsetakeever
We can afford it, but it's going to be a luxury pick that keeps us terrible at another starting spot. Or without an upgrade at WR or OT.

This all comes down to Keim's horrible roster construction. If he had done anything solid to be prepared for all of the open roster spots we were about to have, I'd be way more open to the idea. I think Okudah is very good.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Keim signed Alford to a deal like he's good and already verified he'll be back this year with a big role. So, that's what I'm basing this off of. He's got a top 8 salary on our team this year at the moment. In fact, he'll likely start over Murphy, who Keim had in the top 15 of best players in the Draft last year.

We're already working to re-sign PP as well. So you should probably get used to it.

We can afford it, but it's going to be a luxury pick that keeps us terrible at another starting spot. Or without an upgrade at WR or OT.

This all comes down to Keim's horrible roster construction. If he had done anything solid to be prepared for all of the open roster spots we were about to have, I'd be way more open to the idea. I think Okudah is very good.
How will Alford start over Murphy if they play two different positions pretty much? I hope you meant start along side.

I’m not going to get used to it until his name is on the dotted line.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And he can cover like a Demigod.

From what I've read, Okudah has the highest CB grade in almost a decade. Basically since Peterson. He has a higher grade than Jalen Ramsey.

I think Ramsey is massively overrated.

I was just kidding BTW

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Murphy was specifically drafted to play Nickle and was forced into service outside by the Alford injury. He's now had a full season of experience under fire - a good thing!

If Okudah is on the board and CLEARLY has a better grade than anyone else - I'd take him and find a role.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Peterson, at best last season, was the 5th best player on defense.

He’s only to get older at a position where father times bites you quicker than most.

I’m not trying to go off topic, but the consensus of this board wanting to sign him to an extension is wild. Maybe even more wilder than wasting Day 2 picks for Leonard Williams.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
How will Alford start over Murphy if they play two different positions pretty much? I hope you meant start along side.

I’m not going to get used to it until his name is on the dotted line.
Murphy was specifically drafted to play Nickle and was forced into service outside by the Alford injury. He's now had a full season of experience under fire - a good thing!

If Okudah is on the board and CLEARLY has a better grade than anyone else - I'd take him and find a role.
I guess my argument is that Keim's an idiot for having a slot corner rated as a top 15 prospect and perhaps should have gone elsewhere in the draft to fill that position. It's important, but this setup is poor.

Even the concept of kicking Alford into the 4th string role with the addition of Okudah would be a horrible signing by Keim, who has a significant cap hit being cut this season or next.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Again, trotting out those three means nothing to me when two of the teams in our division that just went to the playoffs/Super Bowl just were in the top 5 in rushing in the league.

We have Peterson, Alford, and Murphy. Okudah is a luxury pick, one we can't afford.

Gotta disagree there.

WR is a luxury pick.

When a top CB like Okudah is available and your outside corners are both 30+ you take him.

Last edited:

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I guess my argument is that Keim's an idiot for having a slot corner rated as a top 15 prospect and perhaps should have gone elsewhere in the draft to fill that position. It's important, but this setup is poor.

Even the concept of kicking Alford into the 4th string role with the addition of Okudah would be a horrible signing by Keim, who has a significant cap hit being cut this season or next.
Slot corners are extremely important in today’s game. Hell, they’re arguably more important than CB2s. Jeudy & Lamb have done damage on the outside, but they did most of their damage in the slot.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Slot corners are extremely important in today’s game. Hell, they’re arguably more important than CB2s. Jeudy & Lamb have done damage on the outside, but they did most of their damage in the slot.
Well, I've said my piece, and until free agency is done, it's where I stand. We have three corners we can get by with, and no DL, ILB, or RT, all of which should have premium players in that range.

I suppose we'll see.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
We have a semi-washed up CB, a inconsistent CB coming off injury, a CB coming off a up & down rookie season, & UDFAs. All playing one of the most impactful positions in football.

How in the world Okudah would be a luxury pick?
Peterson - still a top CB.
Alford - paid too much to move on from for two more years.
Murphy - needs more time and we simply have to commit to young players at some point if we're going to win.

If we don't extend PP, maybe. But I think we should, most of the board seems to think so, and the Cardinals are trying to. But the main reality is that these three guys should be in the plans for at least 2020 and 2021.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Time to recreate the success of the Cardinals 2004 draft:

2004 Round 1) WR - Larry Fitzgerald Pitt
2020 Round 1) WR - CeeDee Lamb Okla

2004 Round 2) ILB - Karlos Dansby Auburn
2020 Round 2) ILB - Kenneth Murray Okla

2004 Round 3) DT - Darnell Dockett FSU
2020 Round 3) DT - Rashard Lawrence LSU

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Peterson - still a top CB.
Alford - paid too much to move on from for two more years.
Murphy - needs more time and we simply have to commit to young players at some point if we're going to win.

If we don't extend PP, maybe. But I think we should, most of the board seems to think so, and the Cardinals are trying to. But the main reality is that these three guys should be in the plans for at least 2020 and 2021.
Top CB to who? Arizona Cardinals fans? We all seen Peterson get burnt multiple games last season. He’s not even top 10 anymore.

I don’t remember the numbers off the top of my head, but cutting Alford would be easy. I’m pretty the dead cap would minimal

Are you doing this on purpose? Just ignoring that Murphy & Okudah would both be on the field at the same time a majority of the time?

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
A football player!

BOOM!

What do I win?

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Top CB to who? Arizona Cardinals fans? We all seen Peterson get burnt multiple games last season. He’s not even top 10 anymore.

I don’t remember the numbers off the top of my head, but cutting Alford would be easy. I’m pretty the dead cap would minimal

Are you doing this on purpose? Just ignoring that Murphy & Okudah would both be on the field at the same time a majority of the time?
Alford's cap hit is pretty low in 2021. It's not as bad as I thought this year either, going back to look at the numbers.

Again, this is about overinvesting at one position. You hate Patrick Peterson, I get it. And in that case, Okudah means a ton to you.

I don't have the numbers about nickel CB usage in 2019, but I do have that Vance Joseph's main goal is to use it less than we did in 2018: https://cardswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/10/az-arizona-cardinals-defensive-packages/

So, will they really be on the field most of the time? If we re-sign Peterson, which again, we're talking about doing, is it really worth using #8 on a #2 or #3 CB?

This is all based off of our holes and what we have available right now. It is my belief we can get by with these CBs, but not with the other completely unfilled starter positions. It also fails to do one of the most important things for this team, which is aid in the protection or growth of Kyler Murray.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I just can't fathom taking Okudah as a step in making this team more prepared to win anytime soon, unless we're gonna be back in the game of trading away high draft picks/burying them as a third option again. Consistently replacing players is just spinning our wheels.

Not to mention, the best secondary in the world is going to fight a losing battle if our pass rush consists of Zach Allen, Michael Dogbe, Haason Reddick, and everyone double teaming Chandler Jones.
Keim had a top 5 grade on Murphy.

So if he grades as high its not shocking that he'd take him. Lets just hope he's a helluva lot better than Murphy (I think his future is at safety tbh)

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Okudah would have a learning curve like any rookie, which is why Alford would be key in 202O. In today's game with over 60% of snaps in Nickel and Dime a slot corner is de facto a starter, and why Murphy was highly touted on all boards.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Alford's cap hit is pretty low in 2021. It's not as bad as I thought this year either, going back to look at the numbers.

Again, this is about overinvesting at one position. You hate Patrick Peterson, I get it. And in that case, Okudah means a ton to you.

I don't have the numbers about nickel CB usage in 2019, but I do have that Vance Joseph's main goal is to use it less than we did in 2018: https://cardswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/10/az-arizona-cardinals-defensive-packages/

So, will they really be on the field most of the time? If we re-sign Peterson, which again, we're talking about doing, is it really worth using #8 on a #2 or #3 CB?

This is all based off of our holes and what we have available right now. It is my belief we can get by with these CBs, but not with the other completely unfilled starter positions. It also fails to do one of the most important things for this team, which is aid in the protection or growth of Kyler Murray.
I don’t hate Peterson. I just don’t like that people are saying he’s still a top 10 when we seen otherwise just last season.

Funny, this debate is pretty much an inverse of our Drake debate.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Keim had a top 5 grade on Murphy.

So if he grades as high its not shocking that he'd take him. Lets just hope he's a helluva lot better than Murphy (I think his future is at safety tbh)
Geez, I thought it was #15. That scares me. A top 5 grade on a guy you think can't play outside?

Okudah would have a learning curve like any rookie, which is why Alford would be key in 202O. In today's game with over 60% of snaps in Nickel and Dime a slot corner is de facto a starter, and why Murphy was highly touted on all boards.
We can continue to go around and around on this, I'm just not going to be on board with an Okudah pick until it looks like we've resolved the other problems outside of the draft - and I don't see a financial way to do so.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll through this into the mix. If Okudah is still there at #8 our chances of trading down is increased.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Geez, I thought it was #15. That scares me. A top 5 grade on a guy you think can't play outside?

We can continue to go around and around on this, I'm just not going to be on board with an Okudah pick until it looks like we've resolved the other problems outside of the draft - and I don't see a financial way to do so.
I think we all need to accept the fact that the Cardinals are not going to fill all of their holes with above average players this off-season. Instead of passing on a better player to fill a need this season, it makes more sense to take the BPA (if it's Okudah) at a very important position where it's difficult to acquire top talent.

In 2020, Alford will hopefully provide depth and experience while Okudah learns, and in 2021, the Cardinals would still have a core of Okudah, Peterson, and Murphy - three high draft picks, two still young, all hopefully performing at a high level, at the three CB positions. That could be a championship-caliber secondary.

Remaining holes can be filled in free agency and next off-season. DL, LB, and RT are easier positions to fill in free agency and lower in the draft than CB anyway.

...dave

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we sign a 1 top defensive free agent,(DE Harris) a couple of 2nd tier defensive free agents ( ILB Kwaitkowski , DT Billings). I think we get Drake and Shipley back along with guys we want back like Gunther, Murray, etc.

I think we draft Lamb in the first round. In the second round there will be and OLB available. Gross-Matos, Greenard or Baun all fit our need.

Maybe a guy like Robert Quinn or Jason Pierre Paul could be short term at DE.

Fill in any names you’d like. But I think we go after a DE, DT and an ILB in free agency. I’m betting we add Lamb and an OLB in the second round to groom, challenge or replace Reddick.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we sign a 1 top defensive free agent,(DE Harris) a couple of 2nd tier defensive free agents ( ILB Kwaitkowski , DT Billings). I think we get Drake and Shipley back along with guys we want back like Gunther, Murray, etc.

I think we draft Lamb in the first round. In the second round there will be and OLB available. Gross-Matos, Greenard or Baun all fit our need.

Maybe a guy like Robert Quinn or Jason Pierre Paul could be short term at DE.

Fill in any names you’d like. But I think we go after a DE, DT and an ILB in free agency. I’m betting we add Lamb and an OLB in the second round to groom, challenge or replace Reddick.

Ive got a feeling they only sign one defensive lineman and resign Gunter or Kerr with Allen coming back. Maybe that kid we picked up from the Bears on waivers who's name I cant recall right now.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose