Drafting Andy Isabella over D.K. Metcalf... Damn!

OP
OP
Big D

Big D

...and STILL...
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Pro football focus also graded Isabella over Metcalf again. Every team in the nfl passed on him and he was the 9th WR drafted please stop acting like this was Julio Jones in college cause he wasn’t.

yeah his name is Russel Wilson and he’s really good but there drafting hasn’t really been that great either.

Ok so the guy wasn’t any good in college, yet a team (in our division none the less) that makes the playoffs every year deemed him good enough to take in the 2nd rd, outperforming the guy we took 2 spots ahead of him in every conceivable way...

If that guy was no good and completely out preformed and outclassed the guy we took, what exactly does that say about the guy we took and the decision makers that took him? Get it?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Not talking out of both sides.For the same reason I don't buy the KM hype and want to see more before I decide. Same with Isabella .I am waiting to see if Isabella can raise his game next season before writing him off.IMHO if Isabella had played in the puny defenses in the Big 12 his results would be close to what he did at UMass.
Ah yes, Isabella would have run roughshod on players in real schools instead of dialing up his stats on schools like Duqenese, Ohio, South Florida, Coastal Carolina, Liberty... and Georgia, who despite his play beat them 27-66.

Literally if it weren't for Georgia, Isabella didn't post 100 yards against a single team with a drafted player.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
What grade did they have on him? That’s all. Thank you
I don't care what grade they had on him. Our GM shouldn't be drafting from his PFF subscription. They could hire any of us from ASFN to do it. He looks pretty bad on tape. He's a short white kid playing against a bad conference, and he's obviously not good enough to get on the field.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
PFF in the first 30 seconds: "He went to the Senior Bowl and they pigeonholed him into that slot role..."

PFF before the minute mark: "If you make him a slot receiver and you have him run the option routes it's not actually his skillset..."

Keim & Kingsbury: Let's play him in the slot!

From this video...

Keim/Kliff mentioned great route runner and Senior Bowl grade was A.

Yet it appears route running is a bit of a problem and he notably struggled some in the Senior Bowl practices. I mean KJ for all his warts runs way better routes.

Keim mentions Isabella first (they quick cut so I'm assuming another name was said)

However, later in the vid its discussed that they could get Isabella and Butler at the bottom of the 2nd and top of the 3rd. Until Keim realizes they got a first round grade on Allen.

I'm beginning to think we had Butler ranked higher than Metcalf as well. They wouldn't have drafted Metcalf even if Isabella wasn't on the board.

Our scouting department must have really disliked Metcalf (aren't good). Or our wr coach is isnt great and Seattle's is. Its one or the other.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
From this video...

Yet it appears route running is a bit of a problem and he notably struggled some in the Senior Bowl practices. I mean KJ for all his warts runs way better routes.

Keim mentions Isabella first (they quick cut so I'm assuming another name was said)

However, later in the vid its discussed that they could get Isabella and Butler at the bottom of the 2nd and top of the 3rd. Until Keim realizes they got a first round grade on Allen.

I'm beginning to think we had Butler ranked higher than Metcalf as well. They wouldn't have drafted Metcalf even if Isabella wasn't on the board.

Our scouting department must have really disliked Metcalf (aren't good). Or our wr coach is isnt great and Seattle's is. Its one or the other.

that video is so disappointing.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
From this video...

Nice 1,000th post.

I really liked Butler, and I hope he develops. I would have given this team more credit if they'd drafted Butler over Metcalf and it didn't work out. It was just poor roster management at the time.

I'm gonna pick out Darren Sproles as an example, but you don't draft two more undersized scatbacks if you have him, unless you really have a plan to get them on the field. We drafted Isabella to play a role on our team that was already filled x2.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
My complaint is as it always will be and has been.

Why the undersized, small school guy over a larger player who plays against grade A talent?

Isabella may prove us all wrong, and I hope he does.

Still it is a glaring and consistent error this GM and organization commits year after year.

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isabella had 102 catches 1698 yards 13 TDs his senior year.Over a 1000 yards his junior year and 800 yards his soph year. 231 catches college career 3500 yards and 30 TDs .Wasn't any good in college?
Yup... If Isabela turns into a good WR moving forward this thread won’t age well.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a discussion we're having in the playoffs thread, and I think @SoonerLou did a good job of addressing the issue...

...It's not just DK Metcalf. It's AJ Brown, Deebo Samuel, Terry McLaurin, Darius Slayton, etc. that are really wild misses at this point.

I can accept taking a shot at a small school kid sometimes. What I struggle with is taking a guy who doesn't seem to have a place to fill on your roster. Both Fitz and Kirk play there, and we had already discussed the need to find outside players. At the time, we thought maybe Kevin White could play the role, if you're an optimist.

Nearly everyone said "who?" when we picked Isabella. Even his highlights weren't that amazing. It's not so much that we didn't take Metcalf, but we took someone who looked like he'd be around in the 4th.
We have to remember there was no way they were going to start Kyler with rookie wr’s. All the receivers mentioned above were playing with a veteran qb and receiving corp.

We had Fitz, Kirk who was a second year receiver coming off injury and also learning a new system.

Let’s see who if anybody steps up next year before we write everybody off.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why play what if vs what did actually already happen? Isabella and Butler did nothing. Metcalf produced and is a Monster. That’s what I’m basing my post on.

If you want to play the waiting game great. Maybe one day those guys will produce. Metcalf already has and is continuing to do so in January football.
Well the Patriots took Harry when they could of had Metcalf. They are bums too.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
We have to remember there was no way they were going to start Kyler with rookie wr’s. All the receivers mentioned above were playing with a veteran qb and receiving corp.

We had Fitz, Kirk who was a second year receiver coming off injury and also learning a new system.

Let’s see who if anybody steps up next year before we write everybody off.
Hoping one or multiple guys steps up is just fine... it doesn't make me any less unhappy that we're going to talk about drafting a #1 receiver for the next few months to do exactly what multiple guys behind Isabella have already proven to be pretty capable of.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hoping one or multiple guys steps up is just fine... it doesn't make me any less unhappy that we're going to talk about drafting a #1 receiver for the next few months to do exactly what multiple guys behind Isabella have already proven to be pretty capable of.
I hope for Simmons, Okudah and only then Juedy or Lamb.

sr7706

Registered
Reaction score
DK Metcalf reminds me of David Boston, not sure if that's the case, but something doesn't look quite right when you look at the dudes size...Good player tho..

Last edited:
OP
OP
Big D

Big D

...and STILL...
Reaction score
Yup... If Isabela turns into a good WR moving forward this thread won’t age well.

If he ends up having a better career than Metcalf you are right, this take won’t age well.

So far after a full season and a playoff game (for D.K. of course), Metcalf is off to one hell of a head start in that race!

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The FO needs to keep their eye on Quartney Davis. Like McLaurin, I think he’s going in the 3rd round & is going to be a star.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I just want to be clear....

I'm rooting like heck for Andy and Butler (KJ as well)

I truly hope they become really good. It just hurts that I'm in the "hope" stage. Them playing a full year making plays/mistakes I would have been ok with. In fact probably likely wouldn't get too up about what other rookies are doing cause at least ours were learning on the job.

Lets hope they can take the nexts to improve next year.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
If he ends up having a better career than Metcalf you are right, this take won’t age well.

So far after a full season and a playoff game (for D.K. of course), Metcalf is off to one hell of a head start in that race!
@Shane this thread will age like a fine wine.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Only hope is that one of the three WRs makes a step up. I think Butler has the best chance based on size and physicality, but he needs to be healthy. Isabella looks like a one-trick pony with his go routes. KeeSean likely hit his ceiling in training camp.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The entire league passed on Metcalf twice... I am firmly in the "fire Kiem" crowd, but I have a hard time ripping someone over an unselected 3rd round player.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Loved that video. They were pretty confident they got 3 guys in the top 25, so time will tell on that one.

KK definitely liked Isabella and Butler ("not going to make the same mistake twice").

I still think KJ flashed for a 6th rd WR as well.

This draft could still end up being a very good one IMO.

Year 2 will be fun.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Loved that video. They were pretty confident they got 3 guys in the top 25, so time will tell on that one.

KK definitely liked Isabella and Butler ("not going to make the same mistake twice").

I still think KJ flashed for a 6th rd WR as well.

This draft could still end up being a very good one IMO.

Year 2 will be fun.
here is hoping.:cheers:

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose