Drafting Andy Isabella over D.K. Metcalf... Damn!

Big D

...and STILL...
Reaction score
Ok so it’s pretty obvious that this was a completely blown decision. I’m sure or at least I really, really hope that M. Bidwill has already had a meeting with Keim and the scouting dept regarding how in the world they would grade out Isabella higher than
Metcalf before deciding to retain Keim’s services. This is sort of a microcosm for what has gone wrong with many of his draft picks.

So my question is this... Do we as [paying] fans deserve an explanation as well? I know it almost never happens but good lord this is so egregious I think it almost warrants a public explanation even though they know they were wrong and it will do nothing but make them look bad.

Rarely in life should you ever judge a book by its cover... HOWEVER in this case all you needed to do was look at these guys side by side and be able to determine one looks like an instant NFL beast, and the other looks like he’s just a faster version of Kevin Kasper.

Ability to project is the most important attribute in a good GM IMO and it’s the most damning aspect working against Keim. What does the production of a monster athlete in the SEC versus as fast guy playing at UMass project to in the NFL? I think that question has been resoundingly answered.

So was that it? Production at UMass or you thought this guy would be our Tyreek Hill or what? Metcalf is going to be a problem for years going forward. Was it that they wanted to grab Isabella and then Butler was supposed to be the size/physical guy? So far advantage Seahawks.

That wasn’t a cheap pick considering the circumstances around which it was acquired and I would love to know what the real reasoning behind that decision was. I feel like as an uninformed, know-nothing fan I could just look at those two guys and knowing where they played instantly know who will be the more productive NFL player. I don’t want to hear “it’s a crapshoot...” An NFL GM should be able to recognize a damn thoroughbred when he sees one.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Ok so it’s pretty obvious that this was a completely blown decision. I’m sure or at least I really, really hope that M. Bidwill has already had a meeting with Keim and the scouting dept regarding how in the world they would grade out Isabella higher than
Metcalf before deciding to retain Keim’s services. This is sort of a microcosm for what has gone wrong with many of his draft picks.

So my question is this... Do we as [paying] fans deserve an explanation as well? I know it almost never happens but good lord this is so egregious I think it almost warrants a public explanation even though they know they were wrong and it will do nothing but make them look bad.

Rarely in life should you ever judge a book by its cover... HOWEVER in this case all you needed to do was look at these guys side by side and be able to determine one looks like an instant NFL beast, and the other looks like he’s just a faster version of Kevin Kasper.

Ability to project is the most important attribute in a good GM IMO and it’s the most damning aspect working against Keim. What does the production of a monster athlete in the SEC versus as fast guy playing at UMass project to in the NFL? I think that question has been resoundingly answered.

So was that it? Production at UMass or you thought this guy would be our Tyreek Hill or what? Metcalf is going to be a problem for years going forward. Was it that they wanted to grab Isabella and then Butler was supposed to be the size/physical guy? So far advantage Seahawks.

That wasn’t a cheap pick considering the circumstances around which it was acquired and I would love to know what the real reasoning behind that decision was. I feel like as an uninformed, know-nothing fan I could just look at those two guys and knowing where they played instantly know who will be the more productive NFL player. I don’t want to hear “it’s a crapshoot...” An NFL GM should be able to recognize a damn thoroughbred when he sees one.
This is a discussion we're having in the playoffs thread, and I think @SoonerLou did a good job of addressing the issue...

...It's not just DK Metcalf. It's AJ Brown, Deebo Samuel, Terry McLaurin, Darius Slayton, etc. that are really wild misses at this point.

I can accept taking a shot at a small school kid sometimes. What I struggle with is taking a guy who doesn't seem to have a place to fill on your roster. Both Fitz and Kirk play there, and we had already discussed the need to find outside players. At the time, we thought maybe Kevin White could play the role, if you're an optimist.

Nearly everyone said "who?" when we picked Isabella. Even his highlights weren't that amazing. It's not so much that we didn't take Metcalf, but we took someone who looked like he'd be around in the 4th.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

so go post this BS on every team in the NFLs message boards because every team in the NFL passed on him and why did they do that? Because there were serious red flags about Metcalf at Ole Miss.

there is reason you show up with that body and blow up the combine and still 8 WR are drafted ahead of you.

physical freak of nature, all the talent in the world, but injury and effort concerns for a player at Ole Miss. DK Metcalf, nope Robert Nkmdiche. So if you’ve ever bitched about the Nkimdiche pick you can’t say why didn’t we draft Metcalf.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Why not wait and see if Isabella develops next season instead of playing "what if" with guys who might or might not have good seasons in AZ if they had been drafted by SK.Too early to write off Isabella as a blown pick.Using that logic how about Hakeem Butler who missed the entire season? Does the OP consider him a blown pick?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
so go post this BS on every team in the NFLs message boards because every team in the NFL passed on him and why did they do that? Because there were serious red flags about Metcalf at Ole Miss.

there is reason you show up with that body and blow up the combine and still 8 WR are drafted ahead of you.

physical freak of nature, all the talent in the world, but injury and effort concerns for a player at Ole Miss. DK Metcalf, nope Robert Nkmdiche. So if you’ve ever bitched about the Nkimdiche pick you can’t say why didn’t we draft Metcalf.
Nkemdiche at least made freaking sense at the time. One of the few things that might have helped the team there was a rotational pass rusher on the defensive line, because we were loaded with talent across the board. We took a risk on a player who could have contributed, and it didn't pan out.

We took the exact opposite approach in this situation. "We have two top WRs who really only succeed in the flex? Let's draft another! Also, let's make sure he's short and never showed anything on tape against any reasonable team except when the game was already over. Cheers boys."

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nkemdiche at least made freaking sense at the time. One of the few things that might have helped the team there was a rotational pass rusher on the defensive line, because we were loaded with talent across the board. We took a risk on a player who could have contributed, and it didn't pan out.

We took the exact opposite approach in this situation. "We have two top WRs who really only succeed in the flex? Let's draft another! Also, let's make sure he's short and never showed anything on tape against any reasonable team except when the game was already over. Cheers boys."

you can play this game all day long. Easiest thing to do is be a GM in January and say man why didn’t we do this or that. Fact is every team in the NFL passed on him for a reason stop ignoring the fact there were serious red flags about him.

OP
OP
Big D

Big D

...and STILL...
Reaction score

Thanks for your response but I feel like you completely missed the point of my post. My question is what exactly went into Keim and the Cardinals (who took a player at the same position 2 spots ahead of Metcalf, not any other teams) grading Isabella out higher than Metcalf and that I feel like we “deserve” to get the real answer to that question given the man that made that decision was retained.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Why not wait and see if Isabella develops next season instead of playing "what if" with guys who might or might not have good seasons in AZ if they had been drafted by SK.Too early to write off Isabella as a blown pick.Using that logic how about Hakeem Butler who missed the entire season? Does the OP consider him a blown pick?
I guess it's time to prove BW and I aren't the same person, haha.

The more draft capital you spend on guys who can't even play their rookie seasons, the more you have to spend on paying free agents or replacing them with picks. Our young QB is on the precipice of having no one but Christian Kirk and WRs that had 73 targets combined over the season, most of those to a 6th round pick. Isabella got the ball thrown to him 13 times. Come on man.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
you can play this game all day long. Easiest thing to do is be a GM in January and say man why didn’t we do this or that. Fact is every team in the NFL passed on him for a reason stop ignoring the fact there were serious red flags about him.
When our GM keeps ****ing the bed, I'm not playing January GM, I'm playing "more than half a decade" GM.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
I guess it's time to prove BW and I aren't the same person, haha.

The more draft capital you spend on guys who can't even play their rookie seasons, the more you have to spend on paying free agents or replacing them with picks. Our young QB is on the precipice of having no one but Christian Kirk and WRs that had 73 targets combined over the season, most of those to a 6th round pick. Isabella got the ball thrown to him 13 times. Come on man.

Yet when he did get chances he made some big plays.Using your logic then DKHumphries should not even be here.He sat his entire rookie season after being a top pick.Yet you continue to say he should be resigned.So it works both ways.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thanks for your response but I feel like you completely missed the point of my post. My question is what exactly went into Keim and the Cardinals (who took a player at the same position 2 spots ahead of Metcalf, not any other teams) grading Isabella out higher than Metcalf and that I feel like we “deserve” to get the real answer to that question given the man that made that decision was retained.

oh my God

8 WR were drafted ahead of him. Why? Because he wasn’t good in college that’s why. There’s your explanation dude. That’s the bottom line he wasn’t a good player. Looks like Tarzan plays like Jane that’s a saying that’s been around the NFL for a long long time.

it’s very rare a player doesn’t produce in college and does in the NFL.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Isabella had 102 catches 1698 yards 13 TDs his senior year.Over a 1000 yards his junior year and 800 yards his soph year. 231 catches college career 3500 yards and 30 TDs .Wasn't any good in college?

OP
OP
Big D

Big D

...and STILL...
Reaction score

Why play what if vs what did actually already happen? Isabella and Butler did nothing. Metcalf produced and is a Monster. That’s what I’m basing my post on.

If you want to play the waiting game great. Maybe one day those guys will produce. Metcalf already has and is continuing to do so in January football.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Yet when he did get chances he made some big plays.Using your logic then DKHumphries should not even be here.He sat his entire rookie season after being a top pick.Yet you continue to say he should be resigned.So it works both ways.
The guy had ONE broken play for a TD, and the rest of the year sat over guys who were street free agents.

Humphries couldn't get snaps with two healthy linemen, who weren't coming out, playing on one of the better offensive lines this team has had. Isabella couldn't make his way into a rotation that was frequently playing 4 WRs, two who were both cut by their respective teams, in the face of injury and next to zero competition from his rookie counterparts.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Isabella had 102 catches 1698 yards 13 TDs his senior year.Over a 1000 yards his junior year and 800 yards his soph year. 231 catches college career 3500 yards and 30 TDs .Wasn't any good in college?
For someone who ripped Kyler for playing in the Big 12 and having easy competition with me, you're talking out of both sides of your mouth man. Watch the tape, look at the context. He might have been faster and more competitive than other people on the field, but it was against poor competition... and against good competition, it was when they'd given up on account of being so far ahead.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

pretty interesting draft profile by pro football focus. But yeah let’s just say he sucked cause that’s easier

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
For someone who ripped Kyler for playing in the Big 12 and having easy competition with me, you're talking out of both sides of your mouth man. Watch the tape, look at the context. He might have been faster than other people on the field, but it was against poor competition... and against good competition, it was when they'd given up on account of being so far ahead.

Not talking out of both sides.For the same reason I don't buy the KM hype and want to see more before I decide. Same with Isabella .I am waiting to see if Isabella can raise his game next season before writing him off.IMHO if Isabella had played in the puny defenses in the Big 12 his results would be close to what he did at UMass.

OP
OP
Big D

Big D

...and STILL...
Reaction score
oh my God

8 WR were drafted ahead of him. Why? Because he wasn’t good in college that’s why. There’s your explanation dude. That’s the bottom line he wasn’t a good player. Looks like Tarzan plays like Jane that’s a saying that’s been around the NFL for a long long time.

it’s very rare a player doesn’t produce in college and does in the NFL.

No need for all the dramatics. I’m talking about in the 2nd rd, at pick #62 overall. What went into the decision that OUR team and it’s leadership made grading Isabella over Metcalf and projecting (or lack there of). That is all. Whoever went ahead of them is irrelevant to the point I am making.

There is a reason Seattle is in the playoffs every year.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No need for all the dramatics. I’m talking about in the 2nd rd, at pick #62 overall. What went into the decision that OUR team and it’s leadership made grading Isabella over Metcalf and projecting (or lack there of). That is all. Whoever went ahead of them is irrelevant to the point I am making.

There is a reason Seattle is in the playoffs every year.

Pro football focus also graded Isabella over Metcalf again. Every team in the nfl passed on him and he was the 9th WR drafted please stop acting like this was Julio Jones in college cause he wasn’t.

yeah his name is Russel Wilson and he’s really good but there drafting hasn’t really been that great either.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

pretty interesting draft profile by pro football focus. But yeah let’s just say he sucked cause that’s easier
PFF in the first 30 seconds: "He went to the Senior Bowl and they pigeonholed him into that slot role..."

PFF before the minute mark: "If you make him a slot receiver and you have him run the option routes it's not actually his skillset..."

Keim & Kingsbury: Let's play him in the slot!

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
PFF in the first 30 seconds: "He went to the Senior Bowl and they pigeonholed him into that slot role..."

PFF before the minute mark: "If you make him a slot receiver and you have him run the option routes it's not actually his skillset..."

Keim & Kingsbury: Let's play him in the slot!

What grade did they have on him? That’s all. Thank you