Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Episode IX) (2019)

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do wonder what could have been if JJ had control of Last Jedi, would he have had to spend so much time fixing what went wrong in the past movie. That said, it was action-packed and had a lot of great cameos, from John Williams to Wedge to Admiral Ackbar's son.

I screamed when I saw Wedge, nearly cried when Chewie finally got his medal.

Imagine the set up JJ could have done for Palpy's return had he done TLJ. That's the biggest flaw of RoS, first line of the crawl and Palpy's back! Rather abrupt, but they had to get right into it, didn't they?

So much fixing, so much awesome course correction. I could make a lengthy list. TLJ was the only SW movie I've only seen once and I feel after watching RoS I don't have to.

Do I have to put Han's cameo in spoiler? It was amazing Harrison's part didn't get out before the movie. Seeing him, and that scene, was one of the absolute best moments of the film. Ben even called him Dad...

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
They sorta did.

He is force sensitive.
At least that’s what JJ revealed.
I read that.

(a) seems kinda a dumb “secret”

(b) doesn’t further the story

(c) if that’s his big secret and this is the end of Star Wars, who cares?

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
I read that.

(a) seems kinda a dumb “secret”

(b) doesn’t further the story

(c) if that’s his big secret and this is the end of Star Wars, who cares?
Pretty sure he was going to tell Rey that he loved her, but either way...odd that it was never clarified.

Because...
Why, when they were seemingly about to die, would he say anything else but that?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Pretty sure he was going to tell Rey that he loved her, but either way...odd that it was never clarified.

Because...
Why, when they were seemingly about to die, would he say anything else but that?
No, you are incorrect. As I stated, this was clarified by JJ Abrams.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Because...
Right? But even that wouldn’t forward the plot in the final flick.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The filmmakers have stated that there was never going to be a romantic relationship between Rey and Finn.

my guess is that they wanted it to be a Luke and Leia relationship, I.e. brother/sister.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I liked it..... Cameo's were great. Was happy it is over though.

I hated the kiss. Really hated it. Loved the ending with Rey staring off into the sunset.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loved it. Pretty much had everything I could want to wrap up all nine movies. Thank goodness for JJ doing a retcon on most of the Rian Johnson crapfast of ideas. This was EXACTLY what my buddy who got to see it said it was. Had some awesome actions sequences and plenty of fans service to long time fans. Definitely makes my top 5 list of Star Wars movies.

I took the family on Christmas day to see this as the Cine Capri. All of my kids loved it. My son went to see it for the second time with friends today and I am taking my daughter to see it again at 3D Imax.

The entire audience was clapping at the Cine Capri at the end of our showing. Bravo JJ.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

JJ Abrams also said there was a clear plan for the trilogy at the beginning... which it's plain as day there wasn't as this is the most schizo-trilogy ever made. He also said they knew exactly where they were going when they started Lost. And trust me... as someone who worked with the guy who was fired off Lost's pilot yet still credited as Co-Creator of the show AND knew people on the first season writing staff... they 1000% didn't.

JJ says a lot of things after the fact or even during the fact that turn out not to be true. And if what he says IS actually true, what a stupid story-line that was to bring up... and then just totally ignore.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
JJ Abrams also said there was a clear plan for the trilogy at the beginning... which it's plain as day there wasn't as this is the most schizo-trilogy ever made. He also said they knew exactly where they were going when they started Lost. And trust me... as someone who worked with the guy who was fired off Lost's pilot yet still credited as Co-Creator of the show AND knew people on the first season writing staff... they 1000% didn't.

JJ says a lot of things after the fact or even during the fact that turn out not to be true. And if what he says IS actually true, what a stupid story-line that was to bring up... and then just totally ignore.

I don't believe this is true. I distinctly remember saying they had an outline but were going to let the writer/director of each take the story in directions they needed.

Also, 100% it was stupid. Even in the first film he seemed pretty comfortable and a natural with a light saber although clearly untrained.

Yep. That would have made no sense considering there were hints he had a thing for Rose. Now THAT would have made no sense if that was what he wanted to tell Rey.

stewdog1

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Fun ride. Lousy film.

I really wish that this trilogy could be remade in the future. Or maybe exist in an alternate universe.

Bringing Palpatine back was a terrible idea. And then saying within the first few minutes of the film that he has been behind everything. Sigh... Completely undermines everything Anakin and Luke did.

I utterly hate everything they did with Luke's character. There was no need to do what they did to him. I can forgive a lot of things in these films, but what they did to Luke just ruined it all.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm sure it has been mentioned, but the staggered directors, each with full reign on their script was a colossal blunder. Each film seemed to deliberately take a fat dump on the one the preceded it.

Side note: I saw an article titled; "Star Wars writer discusses lack of screen time for beloved character". I assumed this meant R2D2, who has barely seen the screen in these 3 films. No... it was talking about "Rose"... the randomly introduced, nonsensical 3rd wheel from episode 8. "Beloved"? ... Beloved....? Are you freaking kidding me... 'beloved'...? I didn't even remember that character existed.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Also... what a waste of a character Fin turned out to be. A mutinied storm trooper... interesting concept! What do you with this character? How does he grow? He doesn't! He simply goes balls deep each time he meets a new female character. Seriously... Fin's character arc is an embarrassment.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also... what a waste of a character Fin turned out to be. A mutinied storm trooper... interesting concept! What do you with this character? How does he grow? He doesn't! He simply goes balls deep each time he meets a new female character. Seriously... Fin's character arc is an embarrassment.

I thought he was great in 7 and 9 and became complete crap in 8, another one of Rian's crimes. Now given what has been revealed, I think he has great potential going forward. One of my absolute favorite parts of TFA was him using the lightsaber. But I absolutely get your frustration.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm not so quick to dismiss JJ's outline assertion out of hand. He could very well have had an outline and honestly would have at least a general workup of a trilogy in order to make the first movie. I mentioned this before, I didn't like how Palpy was suddenly thrust on us without any sort of exposition but that was what 8 should have been about at least in part. Can you imagine how things could have unraveled (not to mention NOT screwed up) if JJ had worked all 3 movies?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought he was great in 7 and 9 and became complete crap in 8, another one of Rian's crimes. Now given what has been revealed, I think he has great potential going forward. One of my absolute favorite parts of TFA was him using the lightsaber. But I absolutely get your frustration.

This. I think they could have done more with the characters but I think the necessity to include the old trilogy characters and wrap up the saga was a double edged sword.

It provided some cool moments but also meant jamming a ton of characters into three films. Had this been more of a standalone and loosely connected they could have done more with the characters.

Considering they did a pretty good job IMO. Worthy of the saga and I love Finn, Poe, Rey and BB-8.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Amen. I actually hate Finn more than Jar Jar Binks and I thought that impossible. He should’ve been one of the most interesting characters ever.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Amen. I actually hate Finn more than Jar Jar Binks and I thought that impossible. He should’ve been one of the most interesting characters ever.

For real. When he met the girl in the new movie, who was also a mutineer, I was thinking maybe he would end up leading some sort of storm trooper revolution, getting a few star destroyers to join the cause, giving personalities to a bunch of barcoded child soldiers...

Nope. Instead him meeting that girl played out as his third effort to get laid. Turns out he only left the first order because he was horny.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose