Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Episode IX) (2019)

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
For real. When he met the girl in the new movie, who was also a mutineer, I was thinking maybe he would end up leading some sort of storm trooper revolution, getting a few star destroyers to join the cause, giving personalities to a bunch of barcoded child soldiers...

Nope. Instead him meeting that girl played out as his third effort to get laid. Turns out he only left the first order because he was horny.
Lol. This would be the most depth the character achieved.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For real. When he met the girl in the new movie, who was also a mutineer, I was thinking maybe he would end up leading some sort of storm trooper revolution, getting a few star destroyers to join the cause, giving personalities to a bunch of barcoded child soldiers...

right? the idea that I'm not alone. these are my family and i should lead them to save others like us and destroy the first order from the inside would have been a great end to his arc... and a complete no-brainer.

Nope. Instead him meeting that girl played out as his third effort to get laid. Turns out he only left the first order because he was horny.

ha...exactly.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Random side note: It felt to me like Abrams thought the audience was stupid. Like maybe we had all forgotten that Captain Phasma was a female stormtrooper? There's inclusivity and then there is beating the audience over their heads with a proverbial anvil.

Seriously. Not even counting Jannah (a former stormtrooper), each time there was an interaction with uniformed stormtroopers there had to be one with a female voice saying something or shouting commands. All that was missing were subtitles exclaiming in all caps "GIRLS CAN BE STORMTROOPERS TOO !!" :)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Random side note: It felt to me like Abrams thought the audience was stupid. Like maybe we had all forgotten that Captain Phasma was a female stormtrooper? There's inclusivity and then there is beating the audience over their heads with a proverbial anvil.

Seriously. Not even counting Jannah (a former stormtrooper), each time there was an interaction with uniformed stormtroopers there had to be one with a female voice saying something or shouting commands. All that was missing were subtitles exclaiming in all caps "GIRLS CAN BE STORMTROOPERS TOO !!" :)
What a strange thing to be complaining about.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alex and I saw at IMAX last night.

Disclaimer - I never saw TLJ, but sounds like that might be a good thing

I enjoyed it, Alex not as much.

A little sad at the end - with Rey going back to Luke's home.

Great to see all the old characters that made appearances - felt right for the final movie.

As far as character development, yeah, it would have been great if they could have fleshed them out more, but given time limitations and need to put in the other characters, hard to do.

I really do think (IMHO of course) that some of you suffer from over nostalgia on the original trilogy - if you watched them NOW for the first time, you wouldn't hold them in the reverence that you do. They were ground breaking of course, and for most of us that were kids when Stars Wars came out, all the areas that are being critiqued in this movie (character development, plot, jumping around, dialogue, etc) didn't really matter then. ROS compares well to the originals and felt like a Star Wars movie.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evidently there is a rumored JJ cut of the film that explains much more like how The Emperor survived. Evidently, Disney overuled JJ and made him cut almost 30 minutes. Some of the actors are calling for the Directors Cut.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some are saying it was planned all along. Disney wanted the film to come in under a certain amount of minutes to guarantee more showings. Then they'll release a version down the road with additional scenes and then likely an even longer version for Disney+ and DVD/Blu-ray.

http://www.sntstory.com/2020/01/02/...kywalker-cut-is-coming-sooner-than-you-think/

I call total BS on the above. Disney just watched Endgame become the single biggest movie in history closing in at 40 minutes longer than Rise Of Skywalker. But they decided they would mutilate the end of one of the most beloved sagas of all time... so they could then make more money with more showings.... and then do a re-release to show how much of a mistake they made months later?

my guess is they had an even bigger disaster on their hands then the final product, decided to cut their losses and move on.

that said, if this WAS an actual plan, the entire trilogy should just be referred to as THE FARCE AWAKENS as far as I'm concerned. What a joke it's been, regardless.

also, so much for that "finale bump". This thing is definitely going to make less than Last Jedi both domestic and worldwide, and might not even make as much as Rogue One worldwide when all's said and done.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I call total BS on the above. Disney just watched Endgame become the single biggest movie in history closing in at 40 minutes longer than Rise Of Skywalker. But they decided they would mutilate the end of one of the most beloved sagas of all time... so they could then make more money with more showings.... and then do a re-release to show how much of a mistake they made months later?

my guess is they had an even bigger disaster on their hands then the final product, decided to cut their losses and move on.

also, so much for that "finale bump" you were expecting @Covert Rain. This thing is going to make less than Last Jedi, and might not even make as much as Rogue One worldwide when all's said and done.
That's the thing, I don't think they consider it a mistake. Whether that's the right attitude or not is up for debate.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

also, so much for that "finale bump" you were expecting @Covert Rain. This thing is going to make less than Last Jedi, and might not even make as much as Rogue One worldwide when all's said and done.

My friends who went with us to watch "The Last Jedi" were so turned off by that movie they never went to see "The Rise of Skywalker." IMO there is a "Last Jedi Effect" that has lingered which is affecting Box Office numbers.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My friends who went with us to watch "The Last Jedi" were so turned off by that movie they never went to see "The Rise of Skywalker." IMO there is a "Last Jedi Effect" that has lingered which is affecting Box Office numbers.

Actually know someone who said something similar. Didn't care how good the last movie was (which it was). He said Last Jedi soured him on the trilogy.

That's the thing, I don't think they consider it a mistake. Whether that's the right attitude or not is up for debate.

I just read something where JJ had creative differences with the Studio over the final cut. If that included rumored scenes about Palpatine that added more narrative and rumored force ghosts scenes for example that really sucks. Give me the person making the films version over studio execs who often have other motives for interjecting in films every single time. I call bull it meant that the other cut necessarily meant a bigger mess. Considering I really enjoyed the film to me it's possible a directors cut would be even better.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a great time. I felt JJ hit so many of those feels that I had when I was a kid. After the movie, I couldn't stop myself from heading over to the Disney store to check out some of the new toys! (what a disappointment that was! Hardly anything, which was extremely surprising. o_O )

As has been said before, lots of fan service, and I appreciated so many of those little things. Could things have been better without TLJ's little detour, sure. I'm just glad JJ was given the reins for the finale because he and I are very similar SW fans, IMO.

I really do think (IMHO of course) that some of you suffer from over nostalgia on the original trilogy - if you watched them NOW for the first time, you wouldn't hold them in the reverence that you do. They were ground breaking of course, and for most of us that were kids when Stars Wars came out, all the areas that are being critiqued in this movie (character development, plot, jumping around, dialogue, etc) didn't really matter then. ROS compares well to the originals and felt like a Star Wars movie.

So much this.

SW captured our imaginations and shaped our view of the world at the time. Classic story lines and good triumphs over evil. But when you go back and watch as an adult, analyzing every little detail and plot point, it begins to fall apart. I'm not sure why people enjoy doing that, but it's not my business to tell people not to.

There was no way every fan was going to be delighted and satisfied. We don't live in a world like that. You don't get clicks by saying, "that was fun!" on the Internet. Hell, there's a whole cottage industry based around crapping on stuff like SW.

I've also always believed that a lot of the more valid complaints come from those who read the SW expanded universe. Some of the material out there was amazing, and many people like to compare the rich worlds created there to the movies. As anyone who's "read the book" knows, you're never going to put on the screen in two hours what you've experienced in your mind over days and weeks.

Anyway, I had a blast. I've seen it twice and I'll see it at least once more in the theater. I'm glad many enjoyed it, because it really has been a big part of our lives.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have said that repeatedly on these forums when talking about Star Wars films. It's actually why some people who hold Star Wars with such reverence and I personally have it further down on my list than most people. If that film came out today? It would get ripped and killed by critics and fans. Clunky dialogue, acting ranging from good to uber bad. Now looking back contains the worst duel in any of the films. At the time it was ground breaking for sure on FX front and was different than anything out there and it created something that has lasted for generations. Looking at the film itself? Rose colored glasses for most fans. Empire was infinity better of a film and it's not even close. Jedi was somewhere in between. ROTS, TFA and ROS standup just fine. Rogue One as well. I think Solo was better than TPM IMO.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question...

Just how did Han appear? He was solid, his shoes made noise when he walked, and he touched Ben. Not a force ghost, so what was he? Ben's imagination?

Wife and I loved it and saw it as a fitting end to the Skywalker saga.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question...

Just how did Han appear? He was solid, his shoes made noise when he walked, and he touched Ben. Not a force ghost, so what was he? Ben's imagination?

Wife and I loved it and saw it as a fitting end to the Skywalker saga.

The theories are ....

1. It was just Ben remembering the moments in which he killed is father and playing them out differently to reason his regret.

2. Ben thinks he was just his memory trying to reason things. However, there is another explanation out there that Leia created the image of Han to help bring him back to the light because that is what Kylo needed.

3. There is a theory that Ray was so powerful in the force that when she brought him back it also allowed him to connect to Han through the force.

Honestly, though...it appears it's #1. Although some fans are arguing there is the EXACT SAME sound of wind when Han appeared as when Luke did. So, some believe the Force had to be a factor (meaning #2 or #3).

Last edited:

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The theories are ....

1. It was just Ben remembering the moments in which he killed is father and playing them out differently to reason his regret.

2. Ben thinks he was just his memory trying to reason things. However, there is another explanation out there that Leia created the image of Han to help bring him back to the light because that is what Kylo needed.

3. There is a theory that Ray was so powerful in the force that when she brought him back it also allowed him to connect to Han through the force.

Honestly, though...it appears it's #1. Although some fans are arguing there is the EXACT SAME sound of wind when Han appeared as when Luke did. So, some believe the Force had to be a factor (meaning #2 or #3).

I would agree that 1 works best.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The theories are ....

I think you're right, but I'll go one further and say that whole scene was supposed to be Leia appearing, not Han. But with Carrie's death, they couldn't- so I imagine they appealed to Harrison Ford to step in instead. It would seem appropriate that it should have been her since Leia was never onscreen with her son for the entire trilogy.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you're right, but I'll go one further and say that whole scene was supposed to be Leia appearing, not Han. But with Carrie's death, they couldn't- so I imagine they appealed to Harrison Ford to step in instead. It would seem appropriate that it should have been her since Leia was never onscreen with her son for the entire trilogy.

That makes a ton of sense. It was a powerful scene as is, but I could imagine the impact being even greater if they could have done that.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not movie related but holy crap. People have been lined up all night outside the park to get into Star Wars Land to ride Rise of The Resistance opening day today. My buddy who is there says it’s the largest crowd before an opening of a ride he has seen since probably Indiana Jones ride opened.

I was just there and just missed checking out this ride. Found this on Twitter.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA