Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Episode IX) (2019)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Non-Spoiler Reviews are in. Some detractors but seems overwhelmingly positive reviews. I tend to take these with a grain of salt though. I am sure just like all of these films is going to stir great debate. My guess is most of the people excited about it are the ones posting first about it. The detractors are probably laying in wait getting ready to pounce with their full reviews I am sure.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My favorite movie reviewer called it not a complete retcon but definitely running the bus over Last Jedi

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Non-Spoiler Reviews are in. Some detractors but seems overwhelmingly positive reviews. I tend to take these with a grain of salt though. I am sure just like all of these films is going to stir great debate. My guess is most of the people excited about it are the ones posting first about it. The detractors are probably laying in wait getting ready to pounce with their full reviews I am sure.

did you just go out and find the best tweets you could find?

it's currently at a 57% on Rotten Tomatoes.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wars_the_rise_of_skywalker/

Lowest rating of any Star Wars movie ever.

I've got a buddy who saw it last night and who's judgement is usually right in line with mine. His entire review was:

"It's cool. Liked it better than Force Awakens."

not exactly a glowing review but I'm thinking if you just turn your brain off, don't expect this to be the end all be all, people will probably enjoy it.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I've got a buddy who saw it last night and who's judgement is usually right in line with mine. His entire review was:

not exactly a glowing review but I'm thinking if you just turn your brain off, don't expect this to be the end all be all, people will probably enjoy it.

No I posted every tweet I could find at the time. Did you see my post time? It was yesterday (initial reactions) BEFORE all of the reviews hit this morning and before RT even had a score up. Maybe you didn't notice?:shrug: I also acknowledged that the early reviews were probably by excited fans.

"My guess is most of the people excited about it are the ones posting first about it. The detractors are probably laying in wait getting ready to pounce with their full reviews I am sure."

A friend of mine has also seen it. Similar to you he was spot on the last 3 films. He said it's a love letter to the hardcore fans which will probably turn off people looking for something with more story or anything close to TLJ. He said if you loved that movie you probably won't like this one. He liked it as much as TFA which I think (if I remember) his 3rd or 4th favorite Star Wars film. He also told me last night...the critics are going to blast it and the fans are going to rate it higher. He told me it would be the reverse of the scores from TLJ final scores (critics vs fans) but he thought that was preferable. The only other thing he said is the duel is epic.

So, I was prepared for the reviews today. He wouldn't tell me much more because he didn't want to spoil anything.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Release Date: December 20, 2019
Studio: Walt Disney Pictures, Lucasfilm
Director:J.J. Abrams
MPAA Rating: N/A
Screenwriters: J.J. Abrams, Chris Terrio
Genre: Action, Sci-Fi, Adventure

Starring: Daisy Ridley, Keri Russell, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Adam Driver, Billy Dee Williams, Lupita Nyong’o, Domhnall Gleeson, Kelly Marie Tran, Joonas Suotamo, Billie Lourd, Naomi Ackie, Richard E. Grant, Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, Carrie Fisher, Dominic Monaghan, Matt Smith, Greg Grunberg

Plot Summary: The surviving Resistance faces the First Order once more in the final chapter of the Skywalker saga.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Last Jedi was a steaming pile of doodoo IMO. How anyone like that movie is beyond me. It left such a bad taste in my mouth I came into this movie with low expectations.

Thank god JJ Abrams came back and brought this franchise back to life. My entire family loved it.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I thought it was a fun, entertaining ending to the saga. I am quite surprised by the low rotten tomatoes rating as well as the devisive reviews. The only thing I can think of is that if you are a huge fan of The Last Jedi then maybe the direction of this one would upset you. Other than that I can’t see why a fan of Star Wars in general wouldn’t enjoy it.

Last edited:

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score

I think this statement applies to 7 out of the 9 Star Wars movies featuring Skywalkers.

I watched it last night, it definitely had moments both good and silly.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I emotionally loved this and intellectually hated it. But emotion always trumps intellect in things like this for me.

intellectually I thought it was rough. The connections were “meh.” Horses in drag were lame. No real new cool planets or aliens or beasts imo. Other stuff that I don’t feel like covering in spoilers.

but none of that kinda mattered.

I realized midway through how much Star Wars has come to represent family to me. And I guess it’s apropos given it’s essentially about family. The original set came out when I was 7- 15 years old. So I really saw them with my folks. I have vivid memories of standing in line at Cine Capri around the round building with them. Them buying us the Star Wars toys from the Sears catalog. And now two trilogies later doing the same with my boys. And while it’s not the same be-all-to-end-all for them as it was for me, it’s still the shared experience. And so I can admit to getting teary-eyed about certain parts of the movie. So for all it’s meh it will stick with me.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Outside of possibly Rogue One, this was IMO the best Star Wars movie since Jedi. Maybe because it's finally over, maybe its because I never liked any of the new characters except for maybe Rey, but she was never developed enough to make her part of the iconic group of people in these movies.

I do wonder what could have been if JJ had control of Last Jedi, would he have had to spend so much time fixing what went wrong in the past movie. That said, it was action-packed and had a lot of great cameos, from John Williams to Wedge to Admiral Ackbar's son. Not to mention
Ewan MacGregor, Liam Neeson, Alec Guiness, James Earl Jones, Samuel L. Jackson, Hayden Christensen and Frank Oz.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a lifelong fan of Star Wars I guess my expectations were higher. It was an underwhelming pile of meh to me. It never really felt like a Star Wars film. None of the sequel trilogy really has, IMHO. It turned out to be exactly what I thought it might be - a JJ Abrams' "spy story in space" with a lot of "fan service" moments (and one "lip service" moment).

I've always wished that the sequel trilogy would have been made while the actors from the original trilogy were young enough and spry enough to REALLY be involved in it and not be side characters. As a fan of the EU, I really hoped for the Thrawn trilogy to be brought to the screen, or something similar to it.

This trilogy did some things right - less green screen and more realistic effects, but overall suffered from an extreme lack of vision. It's like Disney though they could buy a franchise, slap together some crappy movies, and fans would just line up and pay because we're fanatical and were desperate for more Star Wars.

I sincerely hope that the higher ups reflect on their mistakes and move forward cautiously with other planned projects set in this universe.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
As a lifelong fan of Star Wars I guess my expectations were higher. It was an underwhelming pile of meh to me. It never really felt like a Star Wars film. None of the sequel trilogy really has, IMHO. It turned out to be exactly what I thought it might be - a JJ Abrams' "spy story in space" with a lot of "fan service" moments (and one "lip service" moment).

I've always wished that the sequel trilogy would have been made while the actors from the original trilogy were young enough and spry enough to REALLY be involved in it and not be side characters. As a fan of the EU, I really hoped for the Thrawn trilogy to be brought to the screen, or something similar to it.

This trilogy did some things right - less green screen and more realistic effects, but overall suffered from an extreme lack of vision. It's like Disney though they could buy a franchise, slap together some crappy movies, and fans would just line up and pay because we're fanatical and were desperate for more Star Wars.

I sincerely hope that the higher ups reflect on their mistakes and move forward cautiously with other planned projects set in this universe.
This whole post made me LOL. Sounds like this could have been written in 2005 after Revenge of the Sith had been released in theaters. Minus the Disney stuff of course. Disney really needed to improve the property from the depths it had sunk, but that wasn't their goal unfortunately.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I have one really puzzling question

Why did they never finish what Finn wanted to tell Rey? This is the end of Star Wars. And they leave that unsaid? Particularly when it’s brought up a few more times in the movie? Particularly when it seems outta place? Like there wasn’t something big leading up to it that we’d all been waiting for as a reveal? It was just wth was that?

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

This exactly for me, exactly. I even went out to the garage and dusted off the old Thrawn books for them to read since they dismissed me as just an old grouch. I will say I'm not sure how fair it is to judge the movie at all, figuring in how much they had to spend reversing the Last Jedi. Maybe one day both these can be erased and we try again. A long time from now though, after I'm dead.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I have one really puzzling question

Why did they never finish what Finn wanted to tell Rey? This is the end of Star Wars. And they leave that unsaid? Particularly when it’s brought up a few more times in the movie? Particularly when it seems outta place? Like there wasn’t something big leading up to it that we’d all been waiting for as a reveal? It was just wth was that?
They sorta did.

He is force sensitive.
At least that’s what JJ revealed.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Saw it tonight. It was...fine? I don’t have a strong opinion one way or the other. It wasnt terrible. I loved the cameos. You saw the ending coming from a mile away, but I guess that’s typical for an ending of a movie series.

Last edited:

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I realized midway through how much Star Wars has come to represent family to me. And I guess it’s apropos given it’s essentially about family. The original set came out when I was 7- 15 years old. So I really saw them with my folks. I have vivid memories of standing in line at Cine Capri around the round building with them. Them buying us the Star Wars toys from the Sears catalog. And now two trilogies later doing the same with my boys. And while it’s not the same be-all-to-end-all for them as it was for me, it’s still the shared experience. And so I can admit to getting teary-eyed about certain parts of the movie. So for all it’s meh it will stick with me.

Very much, all of this (except for the meh. I thought it was awesome. Seen it twice, might do so again this weekend). The Cine Capri, the Sears catalog, all of it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson