The Territorial Cup

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hope they (ASU) go to the Holiday Bowl in San Diego. Heard a report that both Holiday and Sun Bowl officials were at the game. One media predicted it would be ASU vs Iowa in the Holiday Bowl. We should know something this week.

I think I would prefer the Holiday Bowl. Maybe there are prearranged conference links that make it happen but Iowa (9-3) and Nate Walters is a very good team.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hope they (ASU) go to the Holiday Bowl in San Diego. Heard a report that both Holiday and Sun Bowl officials were at the game. One media predicted it would be ASU vs Iowa in the Holiday Bowl. We should know something this week.

Would love to see us playing in the Holiday Bowl but wood our record merit that?

Seems that there are some other Pac-12 teams that finished ahead of us that could end up there.

The Sun Bowl would be a good place to land as well.

Would love to see us playing in the Holiday Bowl but with our record merit that?

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Now I am hearing that it will be the Sun Bowl in El Paso vs Wake Forrest. Its an ESPN prediction:

Tony the Tiger Sun Bowl
Sun Bowl Stadium, El Paso, Texas
Dec. 31, 2 p.m., CBS

Bonagura: Arizona State vs. Wake Forest
Schlabach: Arizona State vs. Wake Forest

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Good game. Although you didn’t get Sumlin fired (unfortunately). The stomping on the 50 yard line pre-game and the late penalties were bush league. You have a bright future with your new recruits

I didn’t mind ASU changing their midfield emblem or the players stomping on it. That’s harmless rivalry stuff. The dumb penalties gotta go and that starts with the HC.

I was impressed the way ASU bounced back this year but mid season lulls can’t happen next year. They have to win 10 games and compete for the South.

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't have words for how disappointed I am, after watching this.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I didn’t mind ASU changing their midfield emblem or the players stomping on it. That’s harmless rivalry stuff. The dumb penalties gotta go and that starts with the HC.

I was impressed the way ASU bounced back this year but mid season lulls can’t happen next year. They have to win 10 games and compete for the South.

That many wins will be determined by their schedule. Who did they play non conference? Then who do they play from North?

Most important...win this bowl game.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Holiday Bowl against Iowa would be much better and higher profile than the crappy Sun Bowl against (uggh) Wake Forest.

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If I had to guess I'd guess another trip to the Sun Bowl.

Cfb playoffs--utah
Rose--Oregon
Alamo--sc
Redbox--uw
Sun--devils
If Utah isn't selected I think everyone slides down and we go to Vegas. I guess also Cal could slip in there maybe play in the bay area and uw to the sun Bowl. That would be fine with me I'd prefer staying home with the cheez it bowl.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Holiday Bowl against Iowa would be much better and higher profile than the crappy Sun Bowl against (uggh) Wake Forest.

I agree, but that "higher profile" could come back to bite us if the coaching shuffle messes things up, and guys like Eno and Ayuk decide not to play so that they won't get injured before the NFL draft. I would like to see Eno come back next year, but wouldn't blame him if he jumped ship.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I agree, but that "higher profile" could come back to bite us if the coaching shuffle messes things up, and guys like Eno and Ayuk decide not to play so that they won't get injured before the NFL draft. I would like to see Eno come back next year, but wouldn't blame him if he jumped ship.

If Eno comes back, ASU would have to figure as a favorite in the South, maybe with USC, depending on who they bring back. I think Utah gets cleaned out by graduation and guys jumping to the NFL.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't think Eno's stock could be higher.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I see no way Eno comes back. If I was advising him no way he returns.

I think it will be interesting to see if either guy plays in the bowl game. If they both play, I personally thinks that speaks volumes about how they feel about ASU and Herm. I can't blame either if they don't play.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jack Jones honored
Junior cornerback Jack Jones was named the Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Week for his performance in ASU's Territorial Cup win over Arizona on Saturday. Jones had six combined tackles (five solo) and two interceptions, becoming the first Sun Devil with multiple interceptions in a game since De'Chavon "Gump" Hayes picked off Patrick Mahomes (Texas Tech) twice in 2016.

He was one of just four players in the nation to record two interceptions this weekend. He allowed just two catches on five targets for only 25 yards and had a 16.7 NFL QB rating when targeted, the 20th-lowest tally of any cornerback in the FBS this weekend.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...focus-turns-hunt-coaches-recruits/2589659001/

:clapping:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
If Eno comes back, ASU would have to figure as a favorite in the South, maybe with USC, depending on who they bring back. I think Utah gets cleaned out by graduation and guys jumping to the NFL.

Eno announced today. That’s a lot of production gone between Benjamin and Aiyuk. I did see they have a RB coming that had offers from Ohio St among other big programs.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Eno announced today. That’s a lot of production gone between Benjamin and Aiyuk. I did see they have a RB coming that had offers from Ohio St among other big programs.

Not a surprise. Would have liked to go into the Sun Bowl fully loaded but knew it was unlikely. Good luck to Eno at the next level

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ASU vs. Arizona game in Tempe on November 27th, 2021 is scheduled to be only carried by the PAC-12 Networks. This means a lot of fans don't get to watch the game.

Needless to say as one of those fans, I'm disappointed I will not be able see the game.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The ASU vs. Arizona game in Tempe on November 27th, 2021 is scheduled to be only carried by the PAC-12 Networks. This means a lot of fans don't get to watch the game.

Needless to say as one of those fans, I'm disappointed I will not be able see the game.

Well that sucks.

Is attending the game in person a consideration?

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Attending the game is not going to work for me. Sometimes schools need to think about the fans when signing these contracts.

Yep, those contracts are messed up. It seems like the consumer has to buy into multiple platforms to get to see all the games, which is a bit spendy, I am not going to convince my wife we need all that, in addition to the ones we already have.

I used to listen to the broadcasts of the ASU games on the radio when I was a kid in Mesa. I enjoyed that and miss not being able to do that here in Oregon since 98.7 handles it now as far as I can tell and blocks out of state fans. Maybe the radio broadcast is what you are left with though here, plus espn.com has a pretty good "game cast" which you can follow along, with the commentary here on this esteemed board of course.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, those contracts are messed up. It seems like the consumer has to buy into multiple platforms to get to see all the games, which is a bit spendy, I am not going to convince my wife we need all that, in addition to the ones we already have.

I used to listen to the broadcasts of the ASU games on the radio when I was a kid in Mesa. I enjoyed that and miss not being able to do that here in Oregon since 98.7 handles it now as far as I can tell and blocks out of state fans. Maybe the radio broadcast is what you are left with though here, plus espn.com has a pretty good "game cast" which you can follow along, with the commentary here on this esteemed board of course.

The Suns have done something similar with Bally Sports Arizona. A lot of fans do not get to see Suns games because they don't get the channel.

I remember when Arizona channel 45 used to televise a lot of local games. More area fans used to be able to watch. It's all very frustrating that the same programs are not offered on every platform.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Attending the game is not going to work for me. Sometimes schools need to think about the fans when signing these contracts.
The networks have the pick of these games. Both teams 8-2? Primetime ESPN slot. But one of these teams is ua and they lost 70-7 in this game last year. Think anyone outside of ASU fans care to see this game on a National network? Hell, ua fans are barely watching their team.

The NCAA is very different than the NFL when it comes to TV. The big majority of games don't get a channel and time until two weeks before. The reason for this game being on Pac 12 is the network thinks this game sucks. The schools get paid the same in TV money no matter which channel it is on. So, they are not going to complain.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The networks have the pick of these games. Both teams 8-2? Primetime ESPN slot. But one of these teams is ua and they lost 70-7 in this game last year. Think anyone outside of ASU fans care to see this game on a National network? Hell, ua fans are barely watching their team.

The NCAA is very different than the NFL when it comes to TV. The big majority of games don't get a channel and time until two weeks before. The reason for this game being on Pac 12 is the network thinks this game sucks. The schools get paid the same in TV money no matter which channel it is on. So, they are not going to complain.

I understand the financial logic but the ASU vs UofA rivalry is more than another game to local fans.

When fans are taken for granted they often disappear.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand the financial logic but the ASU vs UofA rivalry is more than another game to local fans.

When fans are taken for granted they often disappear.
Fans will always be there if they get a good, exciting team to watch. If a fan cuts ties over the broadcast channel for this year's game, are they really even a fan? It's not like ASU chose this, the admin hates it as well. But they have to suck it up and get better.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fans will always be there if they get a good, exciting team to watch. If a fan cuts ties over the broadcast channel for this year's game, are they really even a fan? It's not like ASU chose this, the admin hates it as well. But they have to suck it up and get better.

I was about as close to a die-hard ASU fan you will find. I had season tickets for football and basketball for years and years. Also I attended every baseball game possible.

I moved away from the Valley some time back and still follow ASU football because most of the games are are televised. However, my interest in baseball and basketball has dwindled because of lack of television coverage. It's even hard to get radio out of area.

It's much, much more than about one game not being televised.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave