The Territorial Cup

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
The Oregon game was a monumental coaching/leadership effort on the part of Herm and his staff... However, the game this Saturday night could be an even bigger challenge now that the Devils are coming off an incredible upset. Will there be an inevitable let-down? This team plays 32 red-shirt and actual freshman... it would be an amazing coaching accomplishment if Herm could not only lead this team to the massive upset of the Ducks, but follow that up with a Territorial Cup victory the following week... History would say that this is precisely the game that the Devils cough up. Over the past decade or more, they have never shown the ability to sustain success for any length of time. Let's hope Herm has the secret to change history and put this team on a different path of success!

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Logically, I can't see how ASU could lose this game... they are a much better team than UA on both sides of the ball.

But then there is that proclivity for slow/flat starts and playing down to the competition. So who knows.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
There’s a lot of history of the clearly favored team losing this game. Kinda part and parcel with it being a rivalry game.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Oregon game was a monumental coaching/leadership effort on the part of Herm and his staff... However, the game this Saturday night could be an even bigger challenge now that the Devils are coming off an incredible upset. Will there be an inevitable let-down? This team plays 32 red-shirt and actual freshman... it would be an amazing coaching accomplishment if Herm could not only lead this team to the massive upset of the Ducks, but follow that up with a Territorial Cup victory the following week... History would say that this is precisely the game that the Devils cough up. Over the past decade or more, they have never shown the ability to sustain success for any length of time. Let's hope Herm has the secret to change history and put this team on a different path of success!

Apparently after the game, Daniels was openly saying that this is the way the team should always play. Hopefully his teammates will hear about that and play accordingly.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just read the azcentral article about Tate and Coach Sumlin going back and forth between quarterbacks.

Not sure if it will happen but coach Sumlin should do the right thing and let Tate start since he's a senior playing in his last game.

Just saying

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One thing has been pretty clear with this team this year. They seem to play to the level of their competition. ASU is clearly the better team and should play as such.

The key will be the youngsters. Not allowing their emotions to lead to stupid penalties nor allowing the emotion of this rivalry to swallow them up. This is a critical game and one they should win easily if they play to their capabilities.

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Just read the azcentral article about Tate and Coach Sumlin going back and forth between quarterbacks.

Not sure if it will happen but coach Sumlin should do the right thing and let Tate start since he's a senior playing in his last game.

Just saying

Sumlin didn’t start Tate on Senior Day... Idk maybe he’s trying to get fired and bought out again? He’s probably done by Monday morning.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sumlin didn’t start Tate on Senior Day... Idk maybe he’s trying to get fired and bought out again? He’s probably done by Monday morning.

It seems unlikely that there is an appetite to pay Sumlin the $10 million dollar buy out.

Everything I am reading suggests that they will probably give him another year, and if things don't work out after next season, they can cut him lose for a $5 million buyout. The did just give their AD a multiyear contract with a $100K/year raise though.

Boy, kinda wish I worked somewhere where they had to pay me that kind of money to get rid of me! The joys of working for yourself I guess!

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One thing has been pretty clear with this team this year. They seem to play to the level of their competition. ASU is clearly the better team and should play as such.

The key will be the youngsters. Not allowing their emotions to lead to stupid penalties nor allowing the emotion of this rivalry to swallow them up. This is a critical game and one they should win easily if they play to their capabilities.

Yep. This will be Arizona's "bowl game", and some of their players, like Tate, have never beaten ASU. So they will be coming into town HIGHLY motivated.
https://www.wildcat.arizona.edu/article/2019/11/s-territorial-cup-2019

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Just saying

Khalil Tate has always worried me at quarterback even though he has not beaten the Sun Devils. The Wildcats offense is so explosive with him. If Sumlin wants to do something different it's fine with me as long as it helps the Sun Devils get a win.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
There’s a lot of history of the clearly favored team losing this game. Kinda part and parcel with it being a rivalry game.
So true. You can throw out the records and just watch and enjoy this game. Who knows what will happen? I saw my first matchup in 1958 and it has been crazy every since. I've seen the good, bad and the ugly.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
It seems unlikely that there is an appetite to pay Sumlin the $10 million dollar buy out.

Everything I am reading suggests that they will probably give him another year, and if things don't work out after next season, they can cut him lose for a $5 million buyout. The did just give their AD a multiyear contract with a $100K/year raise though.

Boy, kinda wish I worked somewhere where they had to pay me that kind of money to get rid of me! The joys of working for yourself I guess!

The terms of that buyout call for $5 Million the first year, and $5 Million again in 2023! Ain’t that bad... should make it easy to swallow for UArizona to dump Sumlin on Monday.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The terms of that buyout call for $5 Million the first year, and $5 Million again in 2023! Ain’t that bad... should make it easy to swallow for UArizona to dump Sumlin on Monday.

I don't know, if they wait until Jan 16th, it gets cheaper

If Sumlin were fired before Jan. 16, he’d be owed $10 million. Half of that would be due within 30 days; the other half would be due upon the original conclusion of his five-year contract — Jan. 15, 2023.

https://tucson.com/sports/arizonawi...b8015a02-4886-570a-b7d1-bd403590f29d.amp.html

And if he beats ASU he's a hero with a solid QB coming in next year. So who knows

By the way, we need the U of A people to join the festivities here

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Game starting on ESPN news temporarily, channel 207 Direct TV.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can a Wildcat receiver set a moving pick for the other receiver?