Time to trade David Johnson

OP
OP
K

KYCardFan

Veteran
Reaction score
He runs very soft, he goes down so easy, just doesn't finish runs, He wants to catch balls in space, and avoid contact.

He had 2 potential big runs yesterday that he blew with hesitancy and got tackled by shoestrings. He misses a ton of holes by just dancing and tiptoeing to line of scrimmage.

Very disappointed in his play, not the same player since injuries.

This offense run game is predicated on the running back, making one cut, go downhill and slamming into the hole.

DJ wants no part of contact at all.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He has had some decent runs which were negated by penalties. That being said Something is missing. There never seems to be a quick hit run. It always seems he gets the ball, reads then runs.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I think it might be the result of doing things the right way and then not getting the right results. Let me explain. Coming into the league he was a very upright runner, much like Adrian Peterson. Backs like this are often commented on that they will have a short career because they take too many hits, though a guy like Peterson defies this due to his natural strength and freakish recovery. Simply put, DJ runs better while avoiding the proper form of a traditional running back which runs with a lower center of gravity and is still able to maintain his burst and balance. Could it be in a effort to make him a better back, even the best coaches are promoting a running style which is widely accepted because it fits the position but for him does not. I do not see him shying away from contact but how he's handling contact and how he is being taught to run. It's the proper form for a back but not for him. Again, he seems to be taking his long frame and attempting to run like the ideal running back which is built more compact. It seems to be affecting his movement and how he's able to maintain his balance and when talking about balance even nuances can cause one to stumble and lose their ability to increase acceleration... just a thought because I do not see him running gun shy but wrong for him, though with good intentions because his natural form was possibly what got his wrist injured in the first place

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If you have finesse all purpose back I would like to see a bruiser that gets some snaps as well. A guy like Tolbert isn't an elite RB, but he is a guy who will get low and go straight ahead and pin ball through the defenders. I would welcome a change of pace back that runs north and south for 5 yards pretty regularly but rarely breaks a long one.

I just haven't seen DJ mow over a defender or shake a tackle in a while. It's always nice to have a RB that defenders hate to tackle.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have finesse all purpose back I would like to see a bruiser that gets some snaps as well. A guy like Tolbert isn't an elite RB, but he is a guy who will get low and go straight ahead and pin ball through the defenders. I would welcome a change of pace back that runs north and south for 5 yards pretty regularly but rarely breaks a long one.

I just haven't seen DJ mow over a defender or shake a tackle in a while. It's always nice to have a RB that defenders hate to tackle.

I think it was Ouchie that commented we don't see the insane jump cuts anymore either. He was good for almost one a game that great year but yeah we're not seeing them at all.

just seems far less explosive, still a good player but seems like he's lots a gear.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

C. J. Anderson, Tolbert and others punish tacklers. I thought Wes Hills could have fit that role.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Cardinals need to stop being down by multiple scores or they will never be able to get DJ and the running game going.

Yes but we're they ever really behind the Ravens enough to abandon the running game and not get the ball to DJ? I would say no.

DJ simply is a one hit wonder until proven otherwise.

forever red

Rookie
Reaction score
It may take the whole season but eventually the Cards are going to figure out what is obvious from watching DJ play-he's done. Whether its because he's got his big contract or whether he has just lost his fire doesn't matter. He goes down on the first hint of contact, has no explosiveness , and appears to just be going through the motions. We need to find a RB . Maybe KK has seen the same thing which is why we don't even try to run the ball inside the RZ.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He runs very soft, he goes down so easy, just doesn't finish runs, He wants to catch balls in space, and avoid contact.

He had 2 potential big runs yesterday that he blew with hesitancy and got tackled by shoestrings. He misses a ton of holes by just dancing and tiptoeing to line of scrimmage.

Very disappointed in his play, not the same player since injuries.

This offense run game is predicated on the running back, making one cut, go downhill and slamming into the hole.

DJ wants no part of contact at all.

I really hate to agree with all this - but I do.

I am not sure if he is no longer capable of running the way he used to or he just doesn't want to, but either way he is not producing at an acceptable level right now.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, as quick into the line as Le'veon Bell and he certainly had a better first week than the guy making a lot more money. Guess it's time for the Jets to cut bait.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It may take the whole season but eventually the Cards are going to figure out what is obvious from watching DJ play-he's done. Whether its because he's got his big contract or whether he has just lost his fire doesn't matter. He goes down on the first hint of contact, has no explosiveness , and appears to just be going through the motions. We need to find a RB . Maybe KK has seen the same thing which is why we don't even try to run the ball inside the RZ.

???
When they ran him inside the red zone they scored.

gbrim21

Veteran
Reaction score
???
When they ran him inside the red zone they scored.
His quote was that DJ lacks explosiveness and goes down on first contact. You picked that play to refute his post?? Literally I could have scored a TD on that play. My father, who is 70, may have been able to as well though that might have been close.

A better example would be a play where he hit a hole hard, or at least harder than a replacement level NFL RB, or broke tackles that a replacement level RB couldn't break. On that play he literally walked in without even being breathed on.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
I just watched the post-game interview in the locker room and he admitted to more mistakes than I noticed. Sounds like he is being held accountable

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
His quote was that DJ lacks explosiveness and goes down on first contact. You picked that play to refute his post?? Literally I could have scored a TD on that play. My father, who is 70, may have been able to as well though that might have been close.

A better example would be a play where he hit a hole hard, or at least harder than a replacement level NFL RB, or broke tackles that a replacement level RB couldn't break. On that play he literally walked in without even being breathed on.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

I always enjoy Joe's talking about what they could do on the field.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
No kidding. I’m not sure anyone would refute that. Except, maybe David’s wife. Bell is an idiot, but he’s a great RB.

I would've argued with you about this in 2016. Now? I'd ask you why Chase hasn't gotten some of his reps. Chase at least finishes his runs.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Yup. His style extended his career.
DJ has had a "career".

But, hey if a player is good with getting his payday and checking out. Then he can do that.

He is 28 in 3 months, so he has lost his opportunity to make a mark or be "great".

Might as well cash the checks and go through the motion.

Guess he was just a flash in the pan.

David "one hit wonder" Johnson

Makes you wonder why he goes down after one hit.

At least he didn't go the Daryl Washington route.....so he hss that going for him.

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
DJ has had a "career".

But, hey if a player is good with getting his payday and checking out. Then he can do that.

He is 28 in 3 months, so he has lost his opportunity to make a mark or be "great".

Might as well cash the checks and go through the motion.

Guess he was just a flash in the pan.

David "one hit wonder" Johnson

Makes you wonder why he goes down after one hit.

At least he didn't go the Daryl Washington route.....so he hss that going for him.

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy
Man, how you really feel?! ;)

That Balt. game just brought last year back into focus. I'll give him a couple more games, not many though. He's got some proving to do.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
I watched the blocks that Johnson himself admitted that he whiffed on. He has 14 games to prove he has heart or he is not on the roster next season. Very nonchalant about his failures