Official "I can't keep up with technology" thread

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, since my TV got ripped off I'm in the market for a new one. I'll probably go with a Samsung because I like them.. Maybe LG, I'll shop around a bit. I don't need one that's super duper Mega whatever, I don't know pixels from plasma so I just need one with a good picture and Netflix/Amazon prime preloaded. Suggestions?

I want to get rid of the cheezy home theater sound system I bought at Sears 5 years ago. My main question would be, how do I shop for a sound bar? I've seen them for $100 up to $2K but I really don't have any basis to go on other than I want it to be sleek looking because it'll be in plain view. I don't need subwoofers, whatever they are or rear speakers. Just one that amplifies voice so a geezer like me can hear without it being on full blast. The only thing I noticed on CNET was to get one with at least 3 channels. Beyond that I have no clue. Help?

btw, I managed to install my Ring security system without disaster.

I'm not a soundbar guy, but Samsung and LG should have you well covered once you land on a budget range.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely not a soundbar guy so I can't really give any advice other than to say look up reviews. I can tell you from sampling them they are not all equal by a long shot.

In terms of TV. If you are really budget conscience Vizio is OK. Samsung and LG have some budget sets. LG is on top of the heap with their OLED sets. They are best in class. I have both an OLED and an older LG set that has been going and going. Samsung is decent too though.

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got the ZVOX SB500 for 2 of my tvs and love them. I installed with a bracket that mounts right to the TVs.
I bought each on Amazon:

Sound bar kicks ass with new TV. Thanks for recommending it!

You must be registered for see images attach

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This article is so true for me. I'm not computer illiterate but all this new tech is mind boggling. You techies will laugh at this but back in the dark ages when computers were the size of an Oldsmobile, I was a computer programmer .. RPG II/Cobol/Fortran... lol...we wrote everything from scratch. I knew how to read hexadecimal!

I STILL CAN'T GET MY DVR TO STOP DROPPING INTERNET!

Count me among the masses!

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/6/18170272/everything-is-too-complicated-2019

Out of high school, I went to computer school and learned Autocoder on an IBM 1440 & NCR Century model. Had keypunch machines, card readers, card collaters. Later, in the early 80's, became proficient in IBM Basic II (if, then, else... Remember?)

Translated: I feel your pain, brother... I feel your pain..... :(

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Out of high school, I went to computer school and learned Autocoder on an IBM 1440 & NCR Century model. Had keypunch machines, card readers, card collaters. Later, in the early 80's, became proficient in IBM Basic II (if, then, else... Remember?)

Translated: I feel your pain, brother... I feel your pain..... :(

I had to write a CPM program for a construction company in Fortran, it still haunts me.
If, then, else about 10K times

I first started on an IBM System 32 for a Cummins Diesel repair shop, then I hit the big time on IBM System 360 at a hospital. Ha! System 360 was awesome, it had 3 partitions, you could run 2 programs in the main partitions and one in background!! A marvel of modern science!! We wrote most all programs in RPG II, it was made for sequential records processing.

Last edited:

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had to write a CPM program for a construction company in Fortran, it still haunts me.
If, then, else about 10K times

I first started on an IBM System 32 for a Cummins Diesel repair shop, then I hit the big time on IBM System 360 at a hospital. Ha! System 360 was awesome, it had 3 partitions, you could run 2 programs in the main partitions and one in background!! A marvel of modern science!! We wrote most all programs in RPG II, it was made for sequential records processing.

Was there a lot of damage to the computers after the Great Flood?

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was there a lot of damage to the computers after the Great Flood?

Noah had me load it on the ark. I used the squirrels to power the generator. Backup generator was manned by the white rats.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the disk drive that we used in school. 2 megabytes on a pack of 6 platters, the disk packs were removable and replaceable with a different pack (WOW! Groovy) and head crashes were not at all uncommon.

Ultimately, a pterodactyl swooped in and stole one of our disk packs......

You must be registered for see images

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the disk drive that we used in school. 2 megabytes on a pack of 6 platters, the disk packs were removable and replaceable with a different pack (WOW! Groovy) and head crashes were not at all uncommon.

You must be registered for see images

:biglaugh:

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score

We had the same disks, plus a boat load of tape drives.

We had printers similar to this Univac. The cover had hydraulic shocks because it was so heavy. It had a chain with characters on it that went around and looked very much like a chainsaw. I'm sure you remember the old green bar paper everything was printed on.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We had the same disks, plus a boat load of tape drives.

We had printers similar to this Univac. The cover had hydraulic shocks because it was so heavy. It had a chain with characters on it that went around and looked very much like a chainsaw. I'm sure you remember the old green bar paper everything was printed on.

Oh yeah..... That was some snazzy paper. I remember the chain printers, too..... As well as the drum printers and the distinctive sound they made. Tape drives were ultra nifty, too. They could really move some data quickly......oh......uh.....wait...... :D

Hollerith code, anyone????? Here's a left-field one: Remember the Powers Code (90 column)?

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never gotten an email with a link to a voice mail... looks fishy to me.

Have any of you know about these? Virus,Scam???

I do get occasional emails with links to recordings from Quest that monitor my
phones that have tracking numbers but those are legit.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never gotten an email with a link to a voice mail... looks fishy to me.

Have any of you know about these? Virus,Scam???

I do get occasional emails with links to recordings from Quest that monitor my
phones that have tracking numbers but those are legit.

Looks like a total scam. But you might want to try replying with your credit card info just in case. :stick:

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Dayum!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a new computer with Windows 10. I've tried every setting I could find to set Log-in to just once when I turn it on. Stupid thing times out every 10 min and I have to sign in again.

Any suggestions?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ive never had to login to my windows 10 pc more than when i turn it on. no idea.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a new computer with Windows 10. I've tried every setting I could find to set Log-in to just once when I turn it on. Stupid thing times out every 10 min and I have to sign in again.

Any suggestions?

Have you tried just removing the password? You can set it to nothing. Is it the PW that is bothering you or the amount of time between “time out”?

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you tried just removing the password? You can set it to nothing. Is it the PW that is bothering you or the amount of time between “time out”?

Don't need password.. but timing out is what's the pain

I set this to 'never' but it still times out.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose