Official "I can't keep up with technology" thread

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something to the effect of 'For better browsing experience, use Edge to replace Chrome'. I use chrome on my Samsung phone and tablet but I haven't seen the message on those devices.

thats because edge is owned by microsoft who is the software on your computer. Since their inception they have always pushed their browser over everyone elses and for the better part of history, their browser has not been the best.

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have issues of my own that may or may not be related to the browser. I've been a huge fan of Firefox and have used it for years. However, I'm having an issue where videos do not want to play especially from tweets. Also some web pages don't want to load. I've tried about everything. The problem is sporadic. Other browsers load better but I like Firefox so much more and the privacy it provides.

My wife started using Duck Duck Go but she hasn't had it long enough to really make a decision yet.

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
thats because edge is owned by microsoft who is the software on your computer. Since their inception they have always pushed their browser over everyone elses and for the better part of history, their browser has not been the best.

As you well know, I'm not all that sophisticated in this. All I know is, Chrome works fine for what I need.

Is Chrome on the way out and Edge is just replacing it?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As you well know, I'm not all that sophisticated in this. All I know is, Chrome works fine for what I need.

Is Chrome on the way out and Edge is just replacing it?
Chrome is Google's browser. Microsoft wants you to use microsoft browser (edge). Chrome isn't going anywhere to my knowledge.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chrome is Google's browser. Microsoft wants you to use microsoft browser (edge). Chrome isn't going anywhere to my knowledge.

ooohhh, I think I get it now... Edge is maybe replacing Bing... which is a piece of junk. Is that right?

btw... have I ever mentioned that I hate your Tapatalk tag line?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ooohhh, I think I get it now... Edge is maybe replacing Bing... which is a piece of junk. Is that right?

btw... have I ever mentioned that I hate your Tapatalk tag line?
Edge is replacing internet explorer which was also Microsoft's browser in the past that was garbage.

Bing is a search engine, a terrible one.

So web browsers, the big dogs, you have chrome made by Google, Firefox made by Mozilla and edge made by Microsoft.

Then search engines you have Google made by Google, Yahoo made by Yahoo and Bing made by Microsoft.

Essentially since Microsoft owns the computer market, they always shove their own versions of items into their platform to try to get you to use all Microsoft stuff instead of using Google or Yahoo.

I believe it's a big part of why they got hit with antitrust lawsuits in the past

Imo Bing and Microsoft web browsers are terrible. Especially bing.

I've changed the tagline before but it seems to not let me delete it

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something to the effect of 'For better browsing experience, use Edge to replace Chrome'. I use chrome on my Samsung phone and tablet but I haven't seen the message on those devices.

My wife started using Duck Duck Go but she hasn't had it long enough to really make a decision yet.

I'm strictly a Firefox user as I like the idea of more privacy. As I understand it, it's one of the more secure browsers.

Really like DuckDuckGo. Again the idea is more privacy. It's a great search engine. The only thing I use Google for is to translate.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I've been trying out a browser called Brave. So far so good. Looks a lot like Chrome. It's supposed to be much better at blocking trackers, malware, etc.

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My grandkids want me to get an Instagram account so they can send me stuff. I'm too paranoid. Is my paranoia well founded or am I just paranoid in general?

I do have a Facebook account for my business but I haven't even looked at it in years. I don't know if it works to get customers or not... in any case I'm too busy to deal with it.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My grandkids want me to get an Instagram account so they can send me stuff. I'm too paranoid. Is my paranoia well founded or am I just paranoid in general?

I do have a Facebook account for my business but I haven't even looked at it in years. I don't know if it works to get customers or not... in any case I'm too busy to deal with it.

I'm reminded of the saying: "If you are not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold."

Nearly all of these 'free' apps are harvesting your data. Only you can decide if they provide a service that's worth it to you to share information about yourself.

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm reminded of the saying: "If you are not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold."

Nearly all of these 'free' apps are harvesting your data. Only you can decide if they provide a service that's worth it to you to share information about yourself.

Thanks, I'll roll with my paranoia.

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My TV has started changing over to crop format, out of the blue. I go into Directv video settings and change it to stretched and it's fine until I turn it off. It does again and I go in and since it's already on stretched I change it to original format and it works then goes back to cropped again even though format in settings is stretched or original ... WTH??

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My TV has started changing over to crop format, out of the blue. I go into Directv video settings and change it to stretched and it's fine until I turn it off. It does again and I go in and since it's already on stretched I change it to original format and it works then goes back to cropped again even though format in settings is stretched or original ... WTH??

Stretch should distort the picture anyway. Cropped as in 4:3 with side bars? Are you watching tv shows from your childhood in the 1800s or are these HD shows? Do you have HD channels and then duplicate non HD channels?

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stretch should distort the picture anyway. Cropped as in 4:3 with side bars? Are you watching tv shows from your childhood in the 1800s or are these HD shows? Do you have HD channels and then duplicate non HD channels?

Yes, cropped with side bars. I'm not even sure what setting it should be on. Stretched is distorted a little bit when I change it to that. I also went into the settings on the TV itself because I realized it wasn't happening with the other TVs in the house, just my new , 6 mo old, one... TCL 65" Roku. I haven't checked it today because I haven't been home to turn it on.

4:3, is that aspect ratio or something? I don't know what setting to use....

I have SD duplicates hidden on Directv so pretty sure that's not it.

Yes, I watch, Spanky, Ozzie & Harriet, Dragnet, Sgt Bilko,The Bowry Boys etc from my youth shorty after the civil war.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, cropped with side bars. I'm not even sure what setting it should be on. Stretched is distorted a little bit when I change it to that. I also went into the settings on the TV itself because I realized it wasn't happening with the other TVs in the house, just my new , 6 mo old, one... TCL 65" Roku. I haven't checked it today because I haven't been home to turn it on.

4:3, is that aspect ratio or something? I don't know what setting to use....

I have SD duplicates hidden on Directv so pretty sure that's not it.

Yes, I watch, Spanky, Ozzie & Harriet, Dragnet, Sgt Bilko,The Bowry Boys etc from my youth shorty after the civil war.

Lol

Well

Native is usually what you want the set as. 4:3 is old school TV aspect ratios. Widescreen hd is 16:9.

If it's only the TV, TV setting are a good idea.

I don't have direct TV so I can only say nerd things to you like 16:9

If SD duplicates are gone, only old programming could cause it besides TV setting. iE: if MASH has not been remastered in HD and you were watching it, the proper way to watch is with the sidebars. Otherwise you are distorting the picture.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I bought some stylus pens for my tablets. I'm not sure how stylus pens ✒️ work. I like jotting down notes during games and Since I'll finally be able to watch the suns games...im hopeful I can contribute to the board besides twitter.
I'm not sure how the pens work but yeah.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought some stylus pens for my tablets. I'm not sure how stylus pens ✒️ work. I like jotting down notes during games and Since I'll finally be able to watch the suns games...im hopeful I can contribute to the board besides twitter.
I'm not sure how the pens work but yeah.

It's all ball bearings nowadays.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
last post march 14th. Anyone have contact outside of ASFN?

PM sent...

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least you didn't interrupt him on the golf course. We wouldn't want to anger His Royal Highness, King Butt.

The World is a Ghetto,

Sincerely,

Jah Sun

You must be registered for see images attach

btw, pic taken from 8th floor penthouse...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA