Official "I can't keep up with technology" thread

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by MrYeahbut, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Covert Rain

Covert Rain Father smelt of elderberries!

Yes. Mine has Alexa on it and we use it. One thing it can't do is make phone calls like a normal Alexa can but evidently that is because Amazon won't allow it verses it being able to do so.

2. cardncubfan

cardncubfan H

I still have my original from the 60's as well. I laminated many years ago which is a no no. I'm sure I'll have issues because it's spelled Stephen on it & everything else I have is either Steve or Steven. I'm not sure how it's spelled on my birth certificate.

3. MrYeahbut

MrYeahbut 4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon Contributor

Ok, since my TV got ripped off I'm in the market for a new one. I'll probably go with a Samsung because I like them.. Maybe LG, I'll shop around a bit. I don't need one that's super duper Mega whatever, I don't know pixels from plasma so I just need one with a good picture and Netflix/Amazon prime preloaded. Suggestions?

I want to get rid of the cheezy home theater sound system I bought at Sears 5 years ago. My main question would be, how do I shop for a sound bar? I've seen them for $100 up to $2K but I really don't have any basis to go on other than I want it to be sleek looking because it'll be in plain view. I don't need subwoofers, whatever they are or rear speakers. Just one that amplifies voice so a geezer like me can hear without it being on full blast. The only thing I noticed on CNET was to get one with at least 3 channels. Beyond that I have no clue. Help?

btw, I managed to install my Ring security system without disaster.

4. BigRedRage

BigRedRage Reckless Contributor

I researched a ton and was going to buy a $400 soundbar, then I found out this budget soundbar had similar reviews to the $400 one. Bought it and have loved it ever since. My living room sounds like a movie theater and music sounds great on it. Plenty loud. Voices are very clear.

VIZIO SB3821-C6 38-Inch 2.1 Channel Sound Bar with Wireless Subwoofer

As far as TV, based on what you put, most anything will do. They all have apps preloaded these days.

MrYeahbut likes this.
  5. jf-08

jf-08 Administrator; Rules Creator Staff Member

I got the ZVOX SB500 for 2 of my tvs and love them. I installed with a bracket that mounts right to the TVs.
    I bought each on Amazon:

ZVOX SB500 Aluminum Sound Bar with Built-In Subwoofer, Bluetooth Wireless Streaming, AccuVoice

WALI Universal Sound Bar Mount Bracket for Mounting Above or Under TV, Fits 32 to 70 inch TVs, 33 lbs. Weight Capacity (SBR201), Black

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    MrYeahbut likes this.
  6. puckhead

puckhead Waxing Gibbous Contributor

I'm not a soundbar guy, but Samsung and LG should have you well covered once you land on a budget range.

MrYeahbut likes this.
  7. Covert Rain

Covert Rain Father smelt of elderberries!

Definitely not a soundbar guy so I can't really give any advice other than to say look up reviews. I can tell you from sampling them they are not all equal by a long shot.

In terms of TV. If you are really budget conscience Vizio is OK. Samsung and LG have some budget sets. LG is on top of the heap with their OLED sets. They are best in class. I have both an OLED and an older LG set that has been going and going. Samsung is decent too though.

MrYeahbut likes this.
  8. MrYeahbut

Sound bar kicks ass with new TV. Thanks for recommending it!

20190824_172506.jpg

jf-08 likes this.
  9. puckhead

10. MrYeahbut

Oak does not suit the current motif, has to be walnut or white wash pine. My wife prefers a cleaner Scandinavian look as well.

11. UncleChris

UncleChris Retirement Doesn't Suck Contributor

Out of high school, I went to computer school and learned Autocoder on an IBM 1440 & NCR Century model. Had keypunch machines, card readers, card collaters. Later, in the early 80's, became proficient in IBM Basic II (if, then, else... Remember?)

Translated: I feel your pain, brother... I feel your pain..... :(

12. MrYeahbut

I had to write a CPM program for a construction company in Fortran, it still haunts me.
    If, then, else about 10K times

I first started on an IBM System 32 for a Cummins Diesel repair shop, then I hit the big time on IBM System 360 at a hospital. Ha! System 360 was awesome, it had 3 partitions, you could run 2 programs in the main partitions and one in background!! A marvel of modern science!! We wrote most all programs in RPG II, it was made for sequential records processing.

System 32.jpg

system_360.jpg

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  13. puckhead

Was there a lot of damage to the computers after the Great Flood?

14. MrYeahbut

Noah had me load it on the ark. I used the squirrels to power the generator. Backup generator was manned by the white rats.

15. puckhead

:biglaugh: