Official "I can't keep up with technology" thread

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This article is so true for me. I'm not computer illiterate but all this new tech is mind boggling. You techies will laugh at this but back in the dark ages when computers were the size of an Oldsmobile, I was a computer programmer .. RPG II/Cobol/Fortran... lol...we wrote everything from scratch. I knew how to read hexadecimal!

I STILL CAN'T GET MY DVR TO STOP DROPPING INTERNET!

the entire tech industry forgets constantly: most people have no idea how anything actually works, and are already hopelessly confused by the tech they have.

Count me among the masses!

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/6/18170272/everything-is-too-complicated-2019

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate Google contacts. Try as I might, I can't get it to sort consistently from one platform to another.... Android/desktop/voip phone. I want it to sort by company name, one it does Company, ABC another shows how I want it.. Plus Gmail sucks, user interface is nonexistent etc. I love my Outlook contacts but voip won't load it to my work phone.

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My company website needs constant updates. I have to take time to monitor it.. Send suggestions to SEO, then review the changes they send me which are full of errors and bad design . . Do these people even look at what the hell changes do to the mobile optimized version??

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website continued... I've tried several different web design/SEO companies. They all asked me how I want the website.. WTH?? YOU'RE THE FREAKING DESIGN PROFESSIONAL, WHY THE HELL ARE YOU ASKING ME??? WTH DO I KNOW ABOUT SEO???

I would welcome any criticism/suggestions desktop or mobile.

www.bdcdoor.com

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hated CenturyLink and their lousy phone lines and slow internet so I changed over to Comcast and got a voip phone system. It's so freaking complicated and I have to call tech support all the time for the simplest changes. All I want to do is see what extensions are busy, music on hold, transfer, and MAKE A PHONE CALL!!

I've already bitched that it doesn't load my contacts the same way they're sorted on Google. It's lists my personal contacts as 'unknown' because they're not sorted by company...

https://www.esi-estech.com

Last edited:
OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm exhausted from hating... :D

Last edited:
OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife hates her new iPhone XR

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to use Gmail to send large files/multiple pics because my email won't handle it... Fatcow.com

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Using Bluetooth phone in my truck is pathetic. Sounds like you're using soup cans and a string. I'm more distracted using it than holding a phone to my ear.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to grovel to Puckhead to do a simple photoshop for me.

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had to make a thread asking how to post a gif file. Took me another 2 weeks to figure out how to post a tweet. Then the format was changed to [Media] for YouTube etc. That got by me for another couple weeks.

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've whined about DVR remote access not working but I failed to mention my wife hates me because she couldn't watch her recorded content when we were in Phx last week.

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mods, please change thread title...

MrYB Foams At The Mouth Because The Redbirds Are Turrible

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tech support for one of the products I distribute closes at 4pm Mountain time. Lots of problems arise around 5pm when businesses are trying to close up shop for the day. We usually find a way to get the door closed that night but then I have to send my techs back the next day to correct the problem. Customers are bitter because these are very expensive doors and they expect zero problems... which never happens. The next morning all I do is tear up hundred dollar bills waiting on hold an hour to get tech support. How the hell companies in Pacific time zone deal with this is a mystery.

www.rytecdoors.com

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The IRS sent me a demand letter today for $302.21 because they said I underpaid quarterly 941 for 3rd quarter... they'll levy my bank account if I don't pay... etc. I have always paid my employees on Thurs so some pay periods overlap the quarter end date. It washes out on the next quarter but they demand I pay it now... then when it balances out, I have to spend 2 hours on the phone because even though I've paid twice, they never refund the over-payment. They once sent a demand letter for $.04 because of what they said was a rounding error. Quickbooks denies involvement, of course.

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
wth is Reddit, how do you use it??? Seriously, I haven't had time to figure out what Instagram is either. I've never used Facebook or twitter but at least I'm pretty sure what they are. I do have a LinkedIn page, however... why, I don't know.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wth is Reddit??? Seriously, I haven't had time to figure out what Instagram is either. I've never used Facebook or twitter but at least I'm pretty sure what they are. I do have a LinkedIn page, however... why, I don't know.

Think of ASFN, but with 350 Million users and 1 million forums

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Think of ASFN, but with 350 Million users and 1 million forums

The mind boggles.... 350 million Walter Mitchells with 999,000 threads on PP21 being a puss??? just shoot me.

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't keep up with innovations in my own industry, this came yesterday afternoon... opener/wifi connections with an app for open/close/alert functions have been around for a couple years so that's not new, but now... an Amazon app and compatible camera???? Do you really want some delivery dude from Amazon opening your garage door??? Do you really want me to learn how it works??? Better yet, someone here please figure it out and 'splain it to me in layman's terms.....

https://www.myq.com/amazon?utm_source=pardot&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=myQ_AMZ

Edit to add: I've been in a lot of garages and warehouses and nothing is as clean as that garage. Take a trip to the loading dock of a grocery store and you'll see what I mean.

Last edited: