Kelly Oubre...

Johninromania

Veteran
Reaction score
This Oubre situation or lack of movement is getting old. Let’s just get it done. The Suns have a good core with Booker, Ayton, Oubre and Bridges let them grow surround them with quality NBA level talent and maybe add another Star player down the line. If they grow with there talent level expectations the SUNS will be a very dangerous team in the next few years.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We don’t know where either side sits considering there’s been no leaks. If an average player gets offended over something like a 14-15mil/year offer that is not on the Suns. At this point the only team that could test us is Dallas. TBD...

I think $15 million a season is fair with a $5-10 million bump on a multi-year contract.

For some reason 5/82 or 5/85 keeps going through my head although I'm not sure if Oubre wants to commit this far into the future.

Maybe 4/75 is another thought.

Johninromania

Veteran
Reaction score
I think $15 million a season is fair with a $5-10 million bump on a multi-year contract.

For some reason 5/82 or 5/85 keeps going through my head although I'm not sure if Oubre wants to commit this far into the future.

If you’re Oubre you take the money. Odds say he will never make that kind of money in the future.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you’re Oubre you take the money. Odds say he will never make that kind of money in the future.

I have a high appreciation of Oubre's game, probably more than most because he is a two-way player.

Think 4/75 would be a good deal for the Suns too based on upside.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
That’s the quintessential bidding against yourself and acting outta fear. Jones already has made errors in value, we really needn’t have him compound it by overpaying when it isn’t necessary.

And name me the players that are similar to Oubre garnering $22-25M/year five year contracts please.
Similar or worse?

Andre Drummond
Stephen Adams
Vucevic
Batum
Parsons
Whiteside
Ibaka
Gallinari
Barnes
Brogdon <-- My personal favorite
Gary Harris
Julius Randle
Ryan Anderson
Jabari Parker
Zach Lavine
Terry Rozier

I would contend Oubre is better than more than half of these dudes. And is on the come up!

taz02

All Star
Reaction score

Yes to 85, I'm thinking 85 - 90

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
15 mil makes him like:

Bobby Portis
Gorguei Deng
JR Smith
Brandon Knight
Rudy Gay

Mozgov, Mahimni, & Reggie Jackson and RICKY RUBIO would all be making more

Johninromania

Veteran
Reaction score
I have a high appreciation of Oubre's game, probably more than most because he is a two-way player.

Think 4/75 would be a good deal for the Suns too based on upside.
From what I have seen I like his game also, and I am not a expert but he seems to be a player with upside untapped. 4/75-80 I’m good with. Anything over that we are overpaying.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I have seen I like his game also, and I am not a expert but he seems to be a player with upside untapped. 4/75-80 I’m good with. Anything over that we are overpaying.

I'm good with a modest overpay like 4/80.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree, but I would give him an extra million or two per year just because he actually wants to be here, and for his attitude.
Really? Don't you assume every free agent wants to be here? This team has a cap to manage.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
15 mil makes him like:

Bobby Portis
Gorguei Deng
JR Smith
Brandon Knight
Rudy Gay

Suns have been bargain shopping for too log. They need to think bigger... buy a new car.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Similar or worse?

Andre Drummond
Stephen Adams

Vucevic
Batum
Parsons
Whiteside
Ibaka
Gallinari
Barnes
Brogdon <-- My personal favorite
Gary Harris
Julius Randle

Ryan Anderson
Jabari Parker
Zach Lavine
Terry Rozier

I would contend Oubre is better than more than half of these dudes. And is on the come up!
I’ve bolded the players that are better, and at the time of their contract signing were already more proven than Oubre. Those guys weren’t signed on potential as would be the case with Oubre.

The rest are guys who may have been viewed as similar to Oubre - paid on potential - and almost invariably their contracts are viewed as colossal mistakes (Parker, Lavine, Whiteside, batum, Parsons). The closest comp I see is Rozier and I think the hornets are also going to hate that contract.

In other words I see nothing compelling in your argument to grossly overpay Oubre.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
They had the chance with D'Angelo Russell and turned it down...
How do you know they had a chance at Russell? He just signed with one of the best teams in the league and didn't even have to take less than the max to do so. What makes you think the Suns had any chance at all?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
15 mil makes him like:

Bobby Portis
Gorguei Deng
JR Smith
Brandon Knight
Rudy Gay

So you’re saying we should pay him more bc other teams made terrible mistakes? So if he ends up sliding back to his prior seasons output we can join that club? Makes perfect sense.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
That sets terrible precedence.

Really? Don't you assume every free agent wants to be here? This team has a cap to manage.

I think Oubre is a different case. He came to a crappy team, played hard, brought some attitude and swagger to the team, came up with the "Valley Boyz" thing, had nothing but good things to say about the organization, the city, and the fans. Yes, I would absolutely intentionally overpay him a bit. Precedent and an extra million in used cap space be damned. "Thank you, young man. We appreciate you, and we see a lot of great qualities and potential in you. We are looking forward to having you on the team for a long, long, time." That's the type of a thing that builds your reputation.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose