Kelly Oubre...

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am not worried about this. We want to keep him. We do not have other big deals on the horizon that would send us into the lux tax territory, and we can match any offer he gets. He wants to be here. He isn't surly and non-communicative like Bledsoe.

We will not low-ball him and when he gets signed people here will criticize the team for bidding against itself and paying too much. But we will pay him what looks like equitable value even if he has no other offers.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just wondering what the impact of the big Kawhi trade to the Clippers will be for the Suns to be able to sign Oubre?? Lakers have already used the majority of their cap and Toronto doesn't have much money. Hope there is no one else with money going after him and he resigns with the Suns.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just wondering what the impact of the big Kawhi trade to the Clippers will be for the Suns to be able to sign Oubre?? Lakers have already used the majority of their cap and Toronto doesn't have much money. Hope there is no one else with money going after him and he resigns with the Suns.
Dallas is the only team with money, I think.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I hope the Suns give Oubre a fair contract and don't low ball him because there's nowhere left for him to go.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hope the Suns give Oubre a fair contract and don't low ball him because there's nowhere left for him to go.
So what would you pay him? I am standing by 5/75. With a team option in year 4 (year three would be better).

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
So what would you pay him? I am standing by 5/75. With a team option in year 4 (year three would be better).

Your numbers may be right, I don't know. I would just hate to see the Suns get into a battle with Oubre and his agent over numbers. The Suns have made some odd moves this summer but it does seem like they're trying to clean up their act. Bringing in high character guys and spending money. It would be a big step backwards if Oubre signed the qualifying offer like Joe Johnson did and played the season in protest.

Here's an interesting interview with Monty. He talks about the process. Its from before the draft but gives some insight into what they're doing.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...isions-made-by-the-franchise-in-recent-years/

Last edited:

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That seems more than fair. Good contract considering that he really had one good season and that is with the Suns for the 40 games.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Well it would look terrible right now. Considering it wouldn't take anywhere near that much to sign him.
Should we be know for putting the screws to one of our starters? This guy came in and was immediately one of the key pieces to a new and revitalized chemistry.

Seems like that would be more of the same from an organization not willing to do what it takes to win.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The Suns might have to overpay Oubre.

IF Booker, Ayton, and Oubre can continue to improve their games, this roster is much better suited to win.

That's why I'm not upset about these moves. The salary cap has been cleaned up and a plethora of supporting players were added.

There times last year, that Booker, Ayton, and Oubre would all have good games, but Melton would score 2 pts and 2 assists in 25 mins and Bender 4 pts and 4 rebounds. That was the problem with the Suns last year! You would have Melton and Bender starting, both putting up stat lines like that. Now that you have Rubio/Johnson and Saric/Kaminsky, we wont see as many games like that.

Basketball is a heavily math driven game. If you have three players playing a lot of mins and putting up next to no numbers, you are going to lose most games.

Now the Suns have fixed this AND can probably have the ammo and cap space to go after a star player soon.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Should we be know for putting the screws to one of our starters? This guy came in and was immediately one of the key pieces to a new and revitalized chemistry.

Seems like that would be more of the same from an organization not willing to do what it takes to win.
There is a difference between giving a fair offer and putting the screws to someone. You can't just go and massively overpay someone because you are afraid of being seen as playing hardball. A bit of an overpay is fine, but getting up into the 20+ per year range for Oubre right now would be a ridiculous overpay. Especially if it isn't caused by us having to match an offer sheet.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns might have to overpay Oubre.

IF Booker, Ayton, and Oubre can continue to improve their games, this roster is much better suited to win.

That's why I'm not upset about these moves. The salary cap has been cleaned up and a plethora of supporting players were added.

There times last year, that Booker, Ayton, and Oubre would all have good games, but Melton would score 2 pts and 2 assists in 25 mins and Bender 4 pts and 4 rebounds. That was the problem with the Suns last year! You would have Melton and Bender starting, both putting up stat lines like that. Now that you have Rubio/Johnson and Saric/Kaminsky, we wont see as many games like that.

Basketball is a heavily math driven game. If you have three players playing a lot of mins and putting up next to no numbers, you are going to lose most games.

Now the Suns have fixed this AND can probably have the ammo and cap space to go after a star player soon.

The Suns should meet Oubre at least part way on a contract...enough to keep him happy. I do not want a repeat of the Joe Johnson situation.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
5/110 or 125

It will look like a steal in 3 years.
That’s the quintessential bidding against yourself and acting outta fear. Jones already has made errors in value, we really needn’t have him compound it by overpaying when it isn’t necessary.

And name me the players that are similar to Oubre garnering $22-25M/year five year contracts please.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The Suns should meet Oubre at least part way on a contract...enough to keep him happy. I do not want a repeat of the Joe Johnson situation.

We don’t know where either side sits considering there’s been no leaks. If an average player gets offended over something like a 14-15mil/year offer that is not on the Suns. At this point the only team that could test us is Dallas. TBD...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave