Kelly Oubre...

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Do you think he wont just play out the string and leave for that kind of money in a year?

JJ did over 5 million dollars. If I was Oubre, I would bet on myself and then laugh all the way to the bank when I'm unrestricted.

ROZIER got 19.5 million.
JJ did not sign the QO offer. We could have matched. The players who signed QOs have not done well after. Oubre would be very foolish to do that.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Do you think he wont just play out the string and leave for that kind of money in a year?

JJ did over 5 million dollars. If I was Oubre, I would bet on myself and then laugh all the way to the bank when I'm unrestricted.

ROZIER got 19.5 million.

The Hornets are swimming in idiotic contracts. If anything they're a barometer on what NOT to do.

Also, point guards are much harder to find than wing players.

Danny Green got 15 million a year, giving Oubre the same (despite being less proven) seems fair.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
JJ did not sign the QO offer. We could have matched. The players who signed QOs have not done well after. Oubre would be very foolish to do that.
Except he would be a big piece in next season's free agency. That may be worth a risk.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

ROZIER got 19.5 million.
I suspect he would if he was being low balled, but something around 15 a year is not a low ball offer. That being said I am okay with the Suns going up a little from there to make a deal happen, but I would be pretty much shocked if he took that gamble with a solid offer on the table. It is a major gamble because you have no idea what the next year has in store. He could have a major injury or he could have a down year and now all the sudden his value simply plummets.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I suspect he would if he was being low balled, but something around 15 a year is not a low ball offer. That being said I am okay with the Suns going up a little from there to make a deal happen, but I would be pretty much shocked if he took that gamble with a solid offer on the table. It is a major gamble because you have no idea what the next year has in store. He could have a major injury or he could have a down year and now all the sudden his value simply plummets.

Isn't the QO under $5 million. He would start out $10 million in the hole, and then there is the possibility of injury. Again, the players that have tried this have regretted it. They spend a year on the roster of a team that can manipulate their value with playing time, rumors, fit, etc.

Even then, he can go until training camp time before having to do that.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The only player I know of that was being offered a big contract (8 figures, 4 years) that instead took the QO was Nerlens Noel... and it has cost him roughly 60 million dollars.

Oubre will not take the QO.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Except he would be a big piece in next season's free agency. That may be worth a risk.
This is the issue...... We will lose him for nothing if we dont get aggressive early. I bet he gets 25 for sure next year.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The only player I know of that was being offered a big contract (8 figures, 4 years) that instead took the QO was Nerlens Noel... and it has cost him roughly 60 million dollars.

Oubre will not take the QO.
Greg Monroe.

Oubre's agent is Bill Duffy. He will not let Oubre do that to himself.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This is the issue...... We will lose him for nothing if we dont get aggressive early. I bet he gets 25 for sure next year.

As long as we have a reasonable offer on the table, say around 4 years 60mil, I dont see any way Oubre signs the QO. One doesn't have to look hard for examples that would give NBA players nightmares in situations like this. IT, Noel, Cousins. He'll take the security.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

You would for sure bet he gets 25 mil per year next free agency? I mean there's always a possibility I guess, but certainty of this sounds like Chicken Little.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When I was looking up info on his Valley Boyz trademark it has a July 23rd date for when it publishes for opposition. At that point it's pretty close to his, there's still some time involved though. I didn't think anything would be held up that long.

myrondizzo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
5 years 75mil seems fair and leaves 70mil on the table if he tries to play for the QO. He hasn't been the consistent beacon of production, so I would hesitate to sign him to a long term 20mil per contract.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
I want this negotiation to be over but I understand. If I had to put money on it, I would imagine the Suns put a number out when the sides first talked but gave him the freedom to go see what the market is out there for him. At the end of the day they can bring him back if they want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

ROZIER got 19.5 million.
I love when people use numbers to try to prove something and leave out context. At the time $5M was 10% of what he was being offered. If the suns offered $17M for 5 (which is, IMO the high end of reasonable) what you’re proposing is almost 50%!!! Cmon dude.

myrondizzo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Hindsight is 20/20 on the Joe Johnson contract. A lot of the blame falls on Joe Johnson wanting to be the #1. If I remember right we offered 45mil he wanted 50mil, sarver said if you preform this year you'll get it. (He'd only had a half of a productive season, so his success was far from a guarantee)
Then after the season the number changed and jj considered 55 million insulating. Sarver said if you can get it (60mil) we'll match it. We he found it from the hawks he requested the suns not match it so they worked out a sign and trade. Thinking back I'm not sure what I would have done differently given the same information, knowing that if we signed him to either number marion probably gets shipped out. Maybe we get more for the marion trade, but who knows.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard