Kelly Oubre...

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Oh my, no. Oubre is a rotation starter on a good team. There is no way he is near "third piece" level, especially on a contending team.
I think he has potential to be there, but yeah I don't think he is at that level as of now.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh my, no. Oubre is a rotation starter on a good team. There is no way he is near "third piece" level, especially on a contending team.

I guess you are looking at now. I'm looking into the future, much like Joe Johnson.

Oubre is only 23 and shows tons of upside.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I guess you are looking at now. I'm looking into the future, much like Joe Johnson.

Oubre is only 23 and shows tons of upside.
I see Oubre as much more of a PJ Tucker than a Paul George. As far as fit in a team hierarchy.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I view Oubre as a third piece. This is probably where we differ.
I think he could be a third piece. But I see that likelihood as being around 15-20%. I see his being a very good-great fourth guy as 40%. I see him being a little better than he’s been historically at 10%. I see him being what he’s been historically at 20%. I see him being viewed as a bad contract somewhere between 10-15%.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I view Oubre as a third piece. This is probably where we differ.

That's a really good point. His value depends on how close one thinks Oubre is to his full potential. I am very high on Oubre and Bridges, which is probably one of the reasons I would be OK overpaying Oubre a bit. I think that Oubre can easily turn into a very solid third piece. I also value the attitude and defense more than most people. While Oubre does get lost off the ball from time to time, he is still a very good defender. I see him as a very good defender, very good offensive player, and a player with some serious attitude and competitiveness. I think he will get aeven better defensively, and I think his three-point shot will improve. That's plenty reason for me to buy into Oubre being the third piece.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think he could be a third piece. But I see that likelihood as being around 15-20%. I see his being a very good-great fourth guy as 40%. I see him being a little better than he’s been historically at 10%. I see him being what he’s been historically at 20%. I see him being viewed as a bad contract somewhere between 10-15%.
You've also only seen him for half a year being "coached" by Igor Kokoskov. It's a whole new ballgame now.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You've also only seen him for half a year being "coached" by Igor Kokoskov. It's a whole new ballgame now.
Uh no. Oubres been in the league for four years. He’s hardly an unknown commodity. Three of which he played 20+ mins. Two of which he played 27+ mins.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Oubre is likely better than the current Suns can land in free agency.

At some point the Suns need to fly with the next free agency class not that strong.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a really good point. His value depends on how close one thinks Oubre is to his full potential. I am very high on Oubre and Bridges, which is probably one of the reasons I would be OK overpaying Oubre a bit. I think that Oubre can easily turn into a very solid third piece. I also value the attitude and defense more than most people. While Oubre does get lost off the ball from time to time, he is still a very good defender. I see him as a very good defender, very good offensive player, and a player with some serious attitude and competitiveness. I think he will get aeven better defensively, and I think his three-point shot will improve. That's plenty reason for me to buy into Oubre being the third piece.

So while other playoff teams will be running around with two stars, the Suns will be running around with three or four stars.

Yes!!!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Uh no. Oubres been in the league for four years. He’s hardly an unknown commodity. Three of which he played 20+ mins. Two of which he played 27+ mins.
I didn’t know you were such an expert at Wizards basketball. My mistake.

My point is that Monty and a virtually entire new team means nothing is set in stone.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

My point is that Monty and a virtually entire new team means nothing is set in stone.
It's a whole new ballgame. The only 3 that are left over, since Oubre hasn't signed, are Booker, Ayton, and Bridges. Those three have to know it's on them now if the Suns move forward or stay the same.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

“Expert” - no. Never claimed to be. There’s that ever-present chap hyperbole that I “live “ so much and makes for great conversation. But I watch and read about a fair amount of hoops over the last four years. I tend to be a draftbik too. So I’ve been familiar with Oubre since Kansas. And I went to school in DC so two of my close friends are enormous wizards fans and what I consider knowledgeable and realistic sports fans. So of course I discussed Oubre with them at trade and throughout the season post-trade. What they relayed to me was pretty much confirmed from my observations.

He’s not a brand new player. Teams ignore players prior showing at their own peril. I believe Oubre has more potential than has been fully evidenced to date, but I don’t think he’s ever going to be a high efficiency scorer or a distributor. I think he plays with energy and brings necessary attitude but I also don’t think he’s a heady defender. So he’s got growth potential, but I think there’s a ceiling on his upside.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
“Expert” - no. Never claimed to be. There’s that ever-present chap hyperbole that I “live “ so much and makes for great conversation. But I watch and read about a fair amount of hoops over the last four years. I tend to be a draftbik too. So I’ve been familiar with Oubre since Kansas. And I went to school in DC so two of my close friends are enormous wizards fans and what I consider knowledgeable and realistic sports fans. So of course I discussed Oubre with them at trade and throughout the season post-trade. What they relayed to me was pretty much confirmed from my observations.

He’s not a brand new player. Teams ignore players prior showing at their own peril. I believe Oubre has more potential than has been fully evidenced to date, but I don’t think he’s ever going to be a high efficiency scorer or a distributor. I think he plays with energy and brings necessary attitude but I also don’t think he’s a heady defender. So he’s got growth potential, but I think there’s a ceiling on his upside.
Sorry you took that as sarcasm. Says more about you than me.

You may be right about Oubre, but IMO there is no way to be sure right now.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Sorry you took that as sarcasm. Says more about you than me.

You may be right about Oubre, but IMO there is no way to be sure right now.
It’s that very lack of certainty that makes paying him a gratuitous overpay an issue.

And thanks for keeping it real with another jab.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well. Odd things have happened in this free agency period. I suppose something odd could happen with Oubre too. Sign and trade maybe. I am just expecting a straight forward signing, though.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
So you’re saying we should pay him more bc other teams made terrible mistakes? So if he ends up sliding back to his prior seasons output we can join that club? Makes perfect sense.
What I am saying is that 22 to 25 mil for a player moving in the direction he is..... with the chemistry he brought to the franchise....... and the trajectory of his game...... If we don't pay him, someone will.

It's delusional to think otherwise IMO.

He's the 4th best player on a title level squad. That's atleast 20mil in this NBA.

I feel like I'm having a Doncic level conversation again. At some point everyone needs to get on board with what the league is NOW..... not what it was in 2012.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What I am saying is that 22 to 25 mil for a player moving in the direction he is..... with the chemistry he brought to the franchise....... and the trajectory of his game...... If we don't pay him, someone will.

He's the 4th best player on a title level squad. That's atleast 20mil in this NBA.

I feel like I'm having a Doncic level conversation again. At some point everyone needs to get on board with what the league is NOW..... not what it was in 2012.
That is an incredible overpay and potentially franchise crippling.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I’ve bolded the players that are better, and at the time of their contract signing were already more proven than Oubre. Those guys weren’t signed on potential as would be the case with Oubre.

The rest are guys who may have been viewed as similar to Oubre - paid on potential - and almost invariably their contracts are viewed as colossal mistakes (Parker, Lavine, Whiteside, batum, Parsons). The closest comp I see is Rozier and I think the hornets are also going to hate that contract.

In other words I see nothing compelling in your argument to grossly overpay Oubre.
Better at the same time but in a contract landscape that pales in comparison to today. Do you think Rozier gets 19 million in 2016? Hell no.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

Do you realize how close you are to max numbers? Oubre is not near a max player right now. Maybe by the time he signs his next contract he will be, but he hasn't done anywhere near enough to garner that kind of payday.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
That is an incredible overpay and potentially franchise crippling.
I completely disagree. We have to take advantage of Ayton's contract while we can. The HUGE franchise crippling overpay will be when we give him the max in 4 years.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Do you realize how close you are to max numbers? Oubre is not near a max player right now. Maybe by the time he signs his next contract he will be, but he hasn't done anywhere near enough to garner that kind of payday.
Do you think he wont just play out the string and leave for that kind of money in a year?

JJ did over 5 million dollars. If I was Oubre, I would bet on myself and then laugh all the way to the bank when I'm unrestricted.

ROZIER got 19.5 million.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Similar or worse?

Andre Drummond
Stephen Adams
Vucevic
Batum
Parsons
Whiteside
Ibaka
Gallinari
Barnes
Brogdon <-- My personal favorite
Gary Harris
Julius Randle
Ryan Anderson
Jabari Parker
Zach Lavine
Terry Rozier

I would contend Oubre is better than more than half of these dudes. And is on the come up!

Wow some teams never learn.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson