Welcome Cam Johnson

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As long as he can make the correct passes and hit his open shots he'll do fine , I'm not worried about him trying to penetrate the defense since the sun's have players who will do that , they just need people to set them up which he was able to do in college so should be ok in the NBA
Four shooters and Ayton roaming the middle.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
As long as he can make the correct passes and hit his open shots he'll do fine , I'm not worried about him trying to penetrate the defense since the sun's have players who will do that , they just need people to set them up which he was able to do in college so should be ok in the NBA

Right now, the Suns don't have any players who will penetrate the defense.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Four shooters and Ayton roaming the middle.

Might be the easiest thing to defend in the NBA. Just crowd the shooters and play the passing lanes to/from Ayton. Good luck getting a shot off against that.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He should play better with better people around him.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Some facts about Cam Johnson.

1. Was not highly recruited out of high school because as a Junior, he was 6-2. He grew to 6-8 during his senior year and was recruited by Pitt only (besides some small schools).
2. Was injured and redshirted during his freshman year.
3. Transferred after his second year of eligibility to UNC because he GRADUATED from Pitt (in three years).
4. Shot 46% from three his senior year at UNC on over 200 attempts.
5. Ortg of 131.2 and a Dtrg of 98.2.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Actually, if we can acquire a quality starting point guard and good veteran power forward, and if we keep Oubre, this team could actually be respectable, but those are three HUGE ifs.

Exactly. The front office has not been very impressive lately so I have low expectations. The starting point guard is clearly most important. Oubre (the same guy we saw last year) continuing riding the valley boyz wave is number two. If we get a solid power forward that would be a huge bonus, but three good things in one year!?

o_O

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
He is. The question is whether Jerome will be able to handle the ball and defend at the NBA level given his extreme physical limitations.
You make it sound like he is a gimp. Is it really that bad?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Exactly. The front office has not been very impressive lately so I have low expectations. The starting point guard is clearly most important. Oubre (the same guy we saw last year) continuing riding the valley boyz wave is number two. If we get a solid power forward that would be a huge bonus, but three good things in one year!?

o_O
I have been saying this is at least a two year build up based on how little talent McD left us with. Great we had numerous SF's. You look at other NBA rosters, and we sorely lacked PF and adequately skilled PGs, and played guys out of position every single game. We were undersized, lacked rebounding, defense, and three point shooting. It appears this front office is trying to move us back into traditional NBA lineup of PG, SG, C, SF, and PF. I think that alone will make us more competitive. I am waiting to see what happens after free agency moves. We just do not have enough assets to make all the moves to make us a playoff team in one off season. If you look at most playoff teams they have pretty deep rosters.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He’s got a 36” vertical?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lateral and straight-line quickness (or lack thereof). At point guard, it's all about quickness. And he doesn't have shiftiness and change of speed and direction ability to compensate for it.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Lateral and straight-line quickness (or lack thereof). At point guard, it's all about quickness. And he doesn't have shiftiness and change of speed and direction ability to compensate for it.
PG?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
PG?

This particular reference was to Ty Jerome, not Cam Johnson. Cam Johnson's weaknesses are that he cannot handle the ball or create his own shot, and that he also lacks the lateral quickness to defend at the wing. He is basically a less athletic, poorer defending version of Mikal Bridges.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
This particular reference was to Ty Jerome, not Cam Johnson. Cam Johnson's weaknesses are that he cannot handle the ball or create his own shot, and that he also lacks the lateral quickness to defend at the wing. He is basically a less athletic, poorer defending version of Mikal Bridges.
Or compare him to James Jones? ;)

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I haven't heard all that much about Cam Johnson but I think he's going to be playing PF more than on the wing, especially if we resign Oubre. He's got the height for it and it's more realistic that he could bulk up and be a stretch 4 instead of a slow 3. On the depth chart that is where we have an opening also. I know that we might be a little undersized at first but if he's playing alongside Baynes on the 2nd unit, I think he'll be ok as a stretch 4. A lineup of Bayne, Cam, Bridges, Jackson or Johnson, and Jerome off the bench should be capable of shooting quite well. I think Jackson would actually do quite well if he's kept in that lineup as a slasher.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I haven't heard all that much about Cam Johnson but I think he's going to be playing PF more than on the wing, especially if we resign Oubre. He's got the height for it and it's more realistic that he could bulk up and be a stretch 4 instead of a slow 3. On the depth chart that is where we have an opening also. I know that we might be a little undersized at first but if he's playing alongside Baynes on the 2nd unit, I think he'll be ok as a stretch 4. A lineup of Bayne, Cam, Bridges, Jackson or Johnson, and Jerome off the bench should be capable of shooting quite well. I think Jackson would actually do quite well if he's kept in that lineup as a slasher.
That would be a foolish place to play him. He is a shooter—as in three point. That is his greatest asset. He is going to roam out arround the arc.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That would be a foolish place to play him. He is a shooter—as in three point. That is his greatest asset. He is going to roam out arround the arc.

There are a lot of PF's that play behind the 3 pt line. Ryan Anderson, the guy we started the year with last season is one of them. Channing Frye and Mirza Teletovic are a couple more. The Suns tried getting Markieff to be more of a stretch 4 but he worked better inside but Marcus has become a pretty good stretch 4 for Boston. There are lots of stretch 4's around the league, those are just a few that have been on the Suns recently. Playing Cam Johnson at PF won't be much different than how Warren was played last year, or Saric will be used next year either.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is interesting that every player we added so far--Saric, Jerome, CamJ, can shoot the three.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
PF seems like the most realistic option for Johnson as strength and muscle are easier to obtain than quickness and agility. That's not to say he can't improve in those areas because personal trainers can help him, he will just need to put a lot of work in the gym going forward. Dave Burns made a great point about Johnson, he said if there is one skill that you want a draft pick to have if they only have one skill its shooting because that translates into the NBA. Guys like Korver, Reddick and Kapono back in the day made their mark in the NBA with their shooting despite being very unathletic.

Personally at #12 I was hoping for PJ Washington but maybe Jones felt he was too similar to TJ Warren whom they had just traded away. Although Washington may not be the shooter Johnson is right now, he could become a great shooter with the improvement he made with it his sophomore year at UK. But hopefully Johnson proves everyone wrong about being a reach.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

He only weighs 205. He would have to bulk up a lot and get significantly stronger.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It is interesting that every player we added so far--Saric, Jerome, CamJ, can shoot the three.
That’s what I immediately recognized on draft day. This team dramatically needed to enhance their three point shooting. If bridges improves and we actually add a pg I could see bookers three point percentage increase as well. It should really open up the middle of the lane for Ayton. Now he just has to be aggressive.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard