Welcome Cam Johnson

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
Can people just wait on the s*** comparisons until we actually see them play , none of us know how they will be, honestly I expect people to jump on the Cam band wagon early once people realize we actually have another shooter that hits his open shots

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Can people just wait on the s*** comparisons until we actually see them play , none of us know how they will be, honestly I expect people to jump on the Cam band wagon early once people realize we actually have another shooter that hits his open shots

The problem, I maintain, is that with the current roster configuration there will be no open shots (or at least open shots will be few and far between).

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It was mismanagement of assets but I believe people will enjoy seeing cam knock down 3s once he’s settled in.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Kinda funny, I was listening to 98.7 and they had the Twitter Poll of the day, which was who is the best NBA player right now. They were arguing about which four guys should be on the poll becasue Twitter only allows four choices. Then Kellen Olson, I believe, is looking at the results, and he blurts out on air, OMG there's several votes for Cam Johnson! It was a true LOL moment. Guy isn't even on most Suns fans radars, and he's getting votes for best player in the NBA! Someone was pranking the poll really good!

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Except you did get to watch him play. He is a 5th year senior in college.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
Kinda funny, I was listening to 98.7 and they had the Twitter Poll of the day, which was who is the best NBA player right now. They were arguing about which four guys should be on the poll becasue Twitter only allows four choices. Then Kellen Olson, I believe, is looking at the results, and he blurts out on air, OMG there's several votes for Cam Johnson! It was a true LOL moment. Guy isn't even on most Suns fans radars, and he's getting votes for best player in the NBA! Someone was pranking the poll really good!
Watch him shock the world and win MVP !

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
Except you did get to watch him play. He is a 5th year senior in college.
NBA is completely different you never now how a player will be , players who aren't supposed to make it are super stars and players "destined" for greatness fail miserably

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NBA is completely different you never now how a player will be , players who aren't supposed to make it are super stars and players "destined" for greatness fail miserably

You can't just say "you never know" , but you can use key indicators to measure the likelihood of success. Otherwise we wouldn't have a reason to scout anyone because "You never know".

You have to understand though that players peak in their mid twenties, maintain that peak over about 3 years and then decline.

The only player I can think that both went to college for 4 years, got better in the NBA, and continued to grow after his twenties is Nash. That is it.

So yes, I "never know for certain" that Cam Johnson isn't anything more than Wally Szczerbiak. Maybe he can overcome his sub 100 defensive rating going up against college kids instead of NBA players despite being the most experienced guy on the court. But it isn't likely.

And if I am going to make a comp, I am going to go with what is "Most likely"

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
You can't just say "you never know" , but you can use key indicators to measure the likelihood of success. Otherwise we wouldn't have a reason to scout anyone because "You never know".

You have to understand though that players peak in their mid twenties, maintain that peak over about 3 years and then decline.

The only player I can think that both went to college for 4 years, got better in the NBA, and continued to grow after his twenties is Nash. That is it.

So yes, I "never know for certain" that Cam Johnson isn't anything more than Wally Szczerbiak. Maybe he can overcome his sub 100 defensive rating going up against college kids instead of NBA players despite being the most experienced guy on the court. But it isn't likely.

And if I am going to make a comp, I am going to go with what is "Most likely"
That's because players dont play college for 4 years they take the money if they have the chance you aren't going to see a bunch of 4 year guys like Nash or Duncan or Lillard, that's not how the draft works anymore. Technically it's not likely for any prospects to get better at their deficiencies, you draft players because you gamble that they can , Cam has good size, better athleticism then I think people give him credit for considering he played through a hip problem for awhile, and a high fast release, basically the same prospect as Klay was minus the hip , Klay is smaller and was able to improve defensively, not saying Cam will be Klay but that's what James picked him for

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think basically if James Jones has a plan, we know we need shooters. He drafted arguably the best one in this draft. DId he overpay? Yep. Did he have a lot of choices, nope. If the guy you want is on the board, it's your turn and you can't trade down in your window, you take BPA or just draft the guy you want anyway. So big picture, we know the Suns appear to be adding at least one more player in free agency. You also, know you need role players. Maybe James Jones was helping fill those role player positions Coach Williams needs, while finishing off this years team with a free agent or agents moves, or maybe even a trade. I gotta say this team doesn't feel finished, and the Suns are acting like they have moves to make still. It's all about getting the team ready for this season, despite what happened in the past. James Jones is making his moves, and I will wait to see how that works. Just like the Cards. They are making wholesale changes, now we have to wait to see how that works. I like getting this guy. I like Ty Jerome as a PG. I can't wait to see how are new coach puts all the pieces together.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think basically if James Jones has a plan, we know we need shooters. He drafted arguably the best one in this draft. DId he overpay? Yep. Did he have a lot of choices, nope. If the guy you want is on the board, it's your turn and you can't trade down in your window, you take BPA or just draft the guy you want anyway. So big picture, we know the Suns appear to be adding at least one more player in free agency. You also, know you need role players. Maybe James Jones was helping fill those role player positions Coach Williams needs, while finishing off this years team with a free agent or agents moves, or maybe even a trade. I gotta say this team doesn't feel finished, and the Suns are acting like they have moves to make still. It's all about getting the team ready for this season, despite what happened in the past. James Jones is making his moves, and I will wait to see how that works. Just like the Cards. They are making wholesale changes, now we have to wait to see how that works. I like getting this guy. I like Ty Jerome as a PG. I can't wait to see how are new coach puts all the pieces together.

Without a guy to facilitate and create shots for all of these shooters, this team is dead, and Jones's plan is completely senseless.

If they somehow acquire a quality facilitator in free agency (and that's a big IF, especially with little cap space and a trade not really being an option, since Jones basically squandered all of our assets on draft day), the plan starts to make some sense, though draft day remains an exercise in mismanagement of assets.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Without a guy to facilitate and create shots for all of these shooters, this team is dead, and Jones's plan is completely senseless.

If they somehow acquire a quality facilitator in free agency (and that's a big IF, especially with little cap space and a trade not really being an option, since Jones basically squandered all of our assets on draft day), the plan starts to make some sense, though draft day remains an exercise in mismanagement of assets.
I get your skepticism. All the sports reporters here in the valley feel like "something" is coming in free agency. Right now it's just a war over all in on D'LO and Oubre, or Oubre and a couple more reasonably priced guys. I know a couple feel we will get a pg and possibly one more PF, and be able to sign Oubre over the cap.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I get your skepticism. All the sports reporters here in the valley feel like "something" is coming in free agency. Right now it's just a war over all in on D'LO and Oubre, or Oubre and a couple more reasonably priced guys. I know a couple feel we will get a pg and possibly one more PF, and be able to sign Oubre over the cap.

My problem is that I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop last summer to get a point guard after we drafted a small forward, signed another small forward and traded away our only point guard (albeit a crappy, subpar point guard). We all know the results. This summer thus far is looking frighteningly like last summer.

As the old saying goes, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me...

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
All this he can't get his shot off is stupid. The Suns are an NBA team and plenty of guys had wide open looks. Cam is just like Danny Green but better. Stop with the he can't get an open shot crap. You post some pretty good insight then you post stuff that is so outta left field. Can't get a shot off lol cmon...

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
All this he can't get his shot off is stupid. The Suns are an NBA team and plenty of guys had wide open looks. Cam is just like Danny Green but better. Stop with the he can't get an open shot crap. You post some pretty good insight then you post stuff that is so outta left field. Can't get a shot off lol cmon...
He is 6'9" and has quick high release. There is little doubt about him being able to get his shot off in the NBA.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Danny Green had Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili, and then Kyle Lowry and Fred VanVleet (not to mention Kawhi Leonard), to create wide open shots for him. Cam will need the same thing, or else he will be relegated to the status of the likes of Nik Stauskas and Doug McDermott.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
1sun some Oubre news coming your way lol

All the Suns did is extend the qualifying offer. That doesn't mean the Suns are going to match when the Kings offer him $16-18 million per season.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He is 6'9" and has quick high release. There is little doubt about him being able to get his shot off in the NBA.
This. Just look at his form. His quick release is remarkable. I just don’t think he adds much besides shooting. He is a 6-9 Troy Daniels.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This. Just look at his form. His quick release is remarkable. I just don’t think he adds much besides shooting. He is a 6-9 Troy Daniels.

It's decent, but it's closer to McDermott than it is to Korver.

And the lack of lateral quickness will relegate to him being at best a Daniels or Korver type specialty sharp-shooter...which is fine, but only if we get a facilitator to replicate what Tony Parker and Kyle Lowry could do for Danny Green (who, by the way, has always been a far superior defender to Cam Johnson, likely because Green has more lateral quickness).

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
So moving from TJ Warren to Cam Johnson. Both are sort of the same length and can shoot and is probably about average defenders and not that good rebounders or creators, except Warren gets 20+ ppg. So... we get this Dario Saric fella. He's better than Dragan, surely. And say we resign Oubre and he keeps up the contract year effort (sure...) and we don't talk about what a huge disappointment Josh Jackson has been this summer and really not that impressive the last year either, and we did nothing on the PG situation so far. Well...

Ayton
Saric
Oubre/Bridges (I guess)
Booker
(hopefully a FA PG)

Cam Johnson
Melton/Okobo
Ty whoever
Uh, Dragan?
Probably not Holmes

And we're fudged again.

Thanks, Sarver.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So moving from TJ Warren to Cam Johnson. Both are sort of the same length and can shoot and is probably about average defenders and not that good rebounders or creators, except Warren gets 20+ ppg. So... we get this Dario Saric fella. He's better than Dragan, surely. And say we resign Oubre and he keeps up the contract year effort (sure...) and we don't talk about what a huge disappointment Josh Jackson has been this summer and really not that impressive the last year either, and we did nothing on the PG situation so far. Well...

Ayton
Saric
Oubre/Bridges (I guess)
Booker
(hopefully a FA PG)

Cam Johnson
Melton/Okobo
Ty whoever
Uh, Dragan?
Probably not Holmes

And we're ****** again.

Thanks, Sarver.

Baynes at center now instead of Holmes

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Ayton
Saric/???
Oubre
Booker
???

Bridges
Josh Jackson
Tyler Johnson
Cam Johnson
Melton/Okobo
Ty Jerome
???/Saric
Baynes

Actually, if we can acquire a quality starting point guard and good veteran power forward, and if we keep Oubre, this team could actually be respectable, but those are three HUGE ifs.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Actually, if we can acquire a quality starting point guard and good veteran power forward, and if we keep Oubre, this team could actually be respectable, but those are three HUGE ifs.
Really a good vet PG in of itself helps shift everyone into their right spots. Another vet PF would be greatly helpful over the season. Oubre would be icing on the offseason. The "good" vet PG addition is the key to it all. We get one of those, I am good. The other two are plusses!

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Really a good vet PG in of itself helps shift everyone into their right spots. Another vet PF would be greatly helpful over the season. Oubre would be icing on the offseason. The "good" vet PG addition is the key to it all. We get one of those, I am good. The other two are plusses!

In my opinion, we really need all three in order to be on the path to respectability again.

Of course, if we sign the likes of Cory Joseph or TJ McConnell at point guard and the likes of Frank Kaminsky at power forward, and let Oubre go, this team is very much heading even more in the wrong direction than it was heading before this offseason.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think they're going to look for a starting PF. Their priorities are a point guard and keeping Oubre, those 2 things, if they happen, will chew up all our space and then some.