Welcome Cam Johnson

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know, Joseph!

LMAO I meant Johnson. His thread is in the title and I still get it wrong. :p

Multiple reporters are already sharing a depth chart with Johnson behind Saric.

I really doubt that doesn't come with some actual reporting and asking the team.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Hah even ESPN has that.

This is the 4th time I have seen it this week.

https://www.espn.com/nba/team/depth/_/name/phx/phoenix-suns

I have heard some places refer to him at a potential SF/PF but that depth chart off as it lists Saric as SF and Bridges as PF.

It's really hard to him spending much time there though. It seems far more likely whoever the other SF he is on the court with would slide over to PF since all of Bridges, Oubre and Jackson seem better suited to sliding over.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have heard some places refer to him at a potential SF/PF but that depth chart off as it lists Saric as SF and Bridges as PF.

It's really hard to him spending much time there though. It seems far more likely whoever the other SF he is on the court with would slide over to PF since all of Bridges, Oubre and Jackson seem better suited to sliding over.

Yeah all the rest have Saric as the PF. Oubre and Bridges have both been listed as the SF.

It's the only thing that makes sense if they do bring back Oubre. Why spend your pick on a guy who is the "Most ready to play" but won't actually play.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Who cares? It’s not even July yet and this is what everyone is talking about? A lot can change between now and October.
Oh, I don't care. Just find it funny experts are blind or something. :D

@Chaplin There's an old saying I just made up. Don't give me a taco and tell me it's sushi! :)

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, I don't care. Just find it funny experts are blind or something. :D

Not just experts, every day fans must be blind too. I'd be shocked, SHOCKED, if we didn't give him a try as a stretch 4. It might be a short lived experiment but it will happen IMO.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
NO WAY is Cameron Johnson a PF! Someone is smoking something good!

I couldn't care less where they list him/play him. If he is capable of contributing to the team he's already better than any of the 3 high lottery picks used in the 2016 and 2017 drafts.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Kellan Olson (@KellanOlson)
7/7/19, 7:02 PM
James Jones on where he sees Cam Johnson playing on the floor: He's a guy that's agile enough to play the 2, versatile enough to play the 3 and tall enough to play the 4, so I see him all over the floor.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Kellan Olson (@KellanOlson)
7/7/19, 7:02 PM
James Jones on where he sees Cam Johnson playing on the floor: He's a guy that's agile enough to play the 2, versatile enough to play the 3 and tall enough to play the 4, so I see him all over the floor.

That's just plain nuts on all three points, in my opinion. He has no agility at all, even for a 3, let alone a 2. He can do one thing and one thing only - shoot - which means he has no versatility. And he will get obliterated at the 4 given his total lack of strength and athleticism and the fact that he has a body that looks like it hasn't hit puberty yet.

This comment really has me wondering if James Jones knows what he's doing even from a scouting perspective.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's just plain nuts on all three points, in my opinion. He has no agility at all, even for a 3, let alone a 2. He can do one thing and one thing only - shoot - which means he has no versatility. And he will get obliterated at the 4 given his total lack of strength and athleticism and the fact that he has a body that looks like it hasn't hit puberty yet.

This comment really has me wondering if James Jones knows what he's doing even from a scouting perspective.
You are hilarious. James Jones actually played the position for 15 years in the league, with the best players on the planet and multiple championships, and you think you know better about what a player is like from pictures and youtube videos than he does scouting him and seeing him in person.

Its the wonder of the internet. With a half an hour on GOOGLE everyone is an expert.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
You are hilarious. James Jones actually played the position for 15 years in the league, with the best players on the planet and multiple championships, and you think you know better about what a player is like from pictures and youtube videos than he does scouting him and seeing him in person.

Its the wonder of the internet. With a half an hour on GOOGLE everyone is an expert.
Hey give him a break. I'm sure his cousin's boyfriend's uncle saw a bunch of UNC games. :p

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

And Michael Jordan was the greatest player of all time, and we all have seen the mess he created in Washington and now in Charlotte. And then there's Isiah Thomas. Two Hall of Famers (far superior to Jones) who have been absolute trash running basketball operations.

Playing the game, even at the highest level, for several years doesn't automatically mean competence as a GM.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
And Michael Jordan was the greatest player of all time, and we all have seen the mess he created in Washington and now in Charlotte. And then there's Isiah Thomas. Two Hall of Famers (far superior to Jones) who have been absolute trash running basketball operations.

Playing the game, even at the highest level, for several years doesn't automatically mean competence as a GM.
But does that mean the fans know better than MJ? This is why I tend to defer to the opinion of the GM or coach because they have a lot more experience on the subject. Sure MJ isn’t as good as many other NBA executives, but that doesn’t mean the fans know better than him either.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But does that mean the fans know better than MJ? This is why I tend to defer to the opinion of the GM or coach because they have a lot more experience on the subject. Sure MJ isn’t as good as many other NBA executives, but that doesn’t mean the fans know better than him either.

For any fan to claim they have a better idea of what a player will be than an actual NBA GM is ridiculous. How many times did that fan interact with that player and interview him? How many games have they watched? How many practices have they watched? What does the coach say about that players role on the team? There are so many questions that a fan can't answer that it's insane to even suggest they know better than the GM at this stage.

Of course, that fan might be right if they happened to be closest in a preseason poll of how many games the team will win in previous season. If they can be the closest in that? Then sure, they know the entire trajectory of every player on the roster. If they can do that, I'm shocked they haven't been offered the GM job and a spot in the Ring of Honor.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Looks like I'm not the only one who thinks James Jones is in way over his head:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27143232/winners-losers-wildest-nba-week-ever
Thinking he is in over his head before you have seen how any of his moves actually translates to the court is short sighted. Just because you don't agree with his plan or the way he is executing it does not mean he is in over his head. If his plans fail miserably than that would mean he is in over his head.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Thinking he is in over his head before you have seen how any of his moves actually translates to the court is short sighted. Just because you don't agree with his plan or the way he is executing it does not mean he is in over his head. If his plans fail miserably than that would mean he is in over his head.

Actually, the plan I now get. The sloppy execution of it, including the complete mismanagement of assets and the cap as documented in the article, are what give me cause for concern.