Game of Thrones (HBO)

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Nailed it!!! Fathers of Bears

Good call!

Giant pile of “meh” for me. Just not feeling this season. Too rushed.

I’ll go back and start from the beginning over the summer. But I’m pretty disappointed with the final season.

Me too, but I have no desire to rewatch anything past seasons 1-4.

And now for why this episode sucked.

#1. Last episode, we spent a ton of time on Aria finding a magic horse as she rides out of King's Landing.

One episode later, she walks out of King's Landing....

Was the magic horse just in her head? Did she just get off the horse right before riding out of the gates? Is this a literal F U and the horse you rode in on to anyone who made it this far?

Good thing we devoted precious screen time to someone doing ABSOLUTELY nothing for two episodes.

#2. Cersei and Jamie...again

The weight of the Red Keep and the 7 kingdoms is falling on you!!!

Its sort of a minor burial though. No more two bricks. After that the kingdom knew to stop. "Okay Okay...we killed them. Lets just stop now so Tyrion can mourn them next week"

#3. That Hand

Soooo....when Jamie and Cersei are buried, Jamie has his hands around her neck. Then they get buried...except that hand. Apparently the hand is made of pure golden plot armor.

#4 The entire ending

Oh we can't let Jon be king because the wars it would start with the dothraki and the unsullied. Hey they are sailing back across the ocean...oh well lets just continue to do what they asked

#5. Grey Worm

Of all the character arcs...even Jamie...this is the worst. He is caring until he isn't. He is loyal to the death until he isn't. He is uncompromising until he isn't

I am sure there are at least 20 of these.

You must be registered for see images attach

Yup.

This was just lame--just BAD. The first 1/2 hour, we got a lot of characters walking, Dany giving a 1 minute crazy speech, and Jon 100 percent not acting like Jon in a pathetic scene with Tyrion arguing with him. I almost fell asleep.

I don't mind HOW it ended. Kind of a cool solution and whatnot. It was just insanely BORING.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I liked the end.

Thought this season had 3 really solid episodes, 1 meh, and two that were so bad they destroyed the cohesiveness of the story running throughout, tainting the others.

This episode felt like vintage GoT in some ways. Between the battles, the real game is played. I liked that the last episode was all scheming and politics one last time.

And I liked the fates filed out to the characters. Fitting and satisfying.

If the road to get here just hadn’t been so filled with potholes...

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I wonder if the writing this season suffered because writers bailed to work on the 13,000 spinoffs being explored by HBO?

I don’t know. Honestly wondering if the writer’s room did have significant turnover?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
And now for why this episode sucked.

#1. Last episode, we spent a ton of time on Aria finding a magic horse as she rides out of King's Landing.

One episode later, she walks out of King's Landing....

Was the magic horse just in her head? Did she just get off the horse right before riding out of the gates? Is this a literal F U and the horse you rode in on to anyone who made it this far?

Good thing we devoted precious screen time to someone doing ABSOLUTELY nothing for two episodes.

#2. Cersei and Jamie...again

The weight of the Red Keep and the 7 kingdoms is falling on you!!!

Its sort of a minor burial though. No more two bricks. After that the kingdom knew to stop. "Okay Okay...we killed them. Lets just stop now so Tyrion can mourn them next week"

#3. That Hand

Soooo....when Jamie and Cersei are buried, Jamie has his hands around her neck. Then they get buried...except that hand. Apparently the hand is made of pure golden plot armor.

#4 The entire ending

Oh we can't let Jon be king because the wars it would start with the dothraki and the unsullied. Hey they are sailing back across the ocean...oh well lets just continue to do what they asked

#5. Grey Worm

Of all the character arcs...even Jamie...this is the worst. He is caring until he isn't. He is loyal to the death until he isn't. He is uncompromising until he isn't

I am sure there are at least 20 of these.

You must be registered for see images attach
I have a lot of the same problems, but you have 2 points about Jaime and Cersei. Really? They had to make sure SOMEONE knew, you know, that they actually DIED. And having Tyrion mourn over them was probably the best way to do it. Are you really THAT upset about not having enough rubble on top of them?

This episode was boring as all get out, but the scene with Tyrion under the keep is one of the most forgettable. And in a forgettable episode, that's saying a lot.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I wonder if the writing this season suffered because writers bailed to work on the 13,000 spinoffs being explored by HBO?

I don’t know. Honestly wondering if the writer’s room did have significant turnover?
I think it's because Benioff and Weiss were told by HBO that the network wanted 10 seasons, they said no and were ticked off at the network, so half-assed the final season. I've lost a lot of respect for those guys over the course of 2 years. All that wait for THIS...?

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty boring. I'm not pissed or anything, but I think most were expecting better or more clever resolutions that might catch us off guard and we'd go, "oh, why didn't I think of that? It was there all along! "

You guys covered the more obvious stuff, but I really disliked Arya's 'exploring West' resolution. This screams spinoff and that's annoying. She deserved more.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Pretty boring. I'm not pissed or anything, but I think most were expecting better or more clever resolutions that might catch us off guard and we'd go, "oh, why didn't I think of that? It was there all along! "

You guys covered the more obvious stuff, but I really disliked Arya's 'exploring West' resolution. This screams spinoff and that's annoying. She deserved more.
You mean like possibly her own show? ;)

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

For me it was just the condensed timeframe. She’s kind of a Frodo in this story—how does she go back to a normal life? But Frodo got a coda to show him unable to fit back in again before he decides to leave. I would have liked to have seen something similar here.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
They left things open of course. Spin offs for sure.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me it was just the condensed timeframe. She’s kind of a Frodo in this story—how does she go back to a normal life? But Frodo got a coda to show him unable to fit back in again before he decides to leave. I would have liked to have seen something similar here.

There is actually a few parallels there. We know that Martin is a HUGE LOTR fan, and it shows.

I am not sure what they were expecting for Arya. She wasn't going back to Winterfell (she'd kill Sansa). She wasn't staying in Kings Landing. She has already had her fill of Essos.

Remember, in like Season 2 she asked what lies beyond the edge of the map. It was a PERFECT way for the Arya story to finish.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can only ask one thing after that finale...

BRAN?!

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
This quote from a review on Collider sums up Seasons 7 and 8 perfectly.

I’m more confident than ever that George R. R. Martin did tell Benioff and Weiss every character’s conclusion but not the paths to get there, and the six-episode season forced us to take the most shoe-horned, ass-backward roads possible. It’s like telling your Uber driver “I don’t care which way you go, as long as I eventually end up at this address” and the dude drives straight through a wild baboon sanctuary to get there. Like, applaud the sheer efficiency, but surely there was a more logical route that didn’t involve monkey s*** getting flung at us from all sides.

Also, this. is. glorious:

After finding his mother lying dead among the Red Keep’s ruined throne room, Drogon—the last living dragon on the planet—turns his rage on the Iron Throne, melting it into a lava-puddle before grabbing Daenerys in his claws and flying into the mist above Blackwater Bay. It’s a beautifully rendered, poignant, highly symbolic moment that is also objectively funny for the following reasons, listed here in the order of how hard they make me chuckle:

1. This is the second time in six episodes that Jon Snow has stood up and screamed in the face of a dragon.
  2. There is the narrative possibility that Drogon saw Daenerys had been stabbed and turned his attention not on Jon, but on the only rational culprit: A chair made of swords.
  3. There is a second narrative possibility that Drogon has been studying English Lit in between genocides and, instead of killing Jon, this actual dragon delivered a B+-worthy dictation on metaphor and symbolism by burning the real reason for Daenerys’ death.

http://collider.com/game-of-thrones-finale-theories/#drogon

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
that episode sucked hairy ass.

the resolutions were fine but the writing was pathetic...all the time spend wasting time just to show someones face for 45 seconds as they did nothing.
cant believe it took them two years to film six episodes of crap

why bother even having a nights watch now that the night king is dead and the wall is down??
if the watch is still there...why is sam tarly a grand measter in kings landing instead of back at the wall??
by the way, how did sam become a grand maester anyway?? worst case he should have been restored as lord tarly since his dad and brother are dead.

"why do you think I came all this way?"....like Bran somehow now sees the future and knew he would be elected king.

I liked the scene of Brienne filling out Jamies page...he had mentioned it was an issue for him.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
that episode sucked hairy ass.

the resolutions were fine but the writing was pathetic...all the time spend wasting time just to show someones face for 45 seconds as they did nothing.
cant believe it took them two years to film six episodes of crap

why bother even having a nights watch now that the night king is dead and the wall is down??
if the watch is still there...why is sam tarly a grand measter in kings landing instead of back at the wall??
by the way, how did sam become a grand maester anyway?? worst case he should have been restored as lord tarly since his dad and brother are dead.

"why do you think I came all this way?"....like Bran somehow now sees the future and knew he would be elected king.

I liked the scene of Brienne filling out Jamies page...he had mentioned it was an issue for him.
The Watch is not still there. When they got to Castle Black, it was deserted except for Tormund and the Wildlings. So Jon went with them instead of living by himself in a deserted Castle Black serving no purpose.

As for Sam as Grand Maester, that writing was on the wall for a very long time.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Moment when Jon decided to kill Dany: When Dany said all of Westeros needed to be freed, from Winterfell to Dorne.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The presenting of the Book "A Song of Ice and Fire" was another nod to LOTR, IMHO

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the idea that the moment Dany enacted a city-wide holocaust for no reason wasn't enough to turn Jon was beyond stupid.

Agreed. But Jon still didn't have a real connection to them. But when she mentioned Winterfell, that was the proverbial straw.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. But Jon still didn't have a real connection to them. But when she mentioned Winterfell, that was the proverbial straw.

still lame and was another example this season of story moving character as opposed to character moving story. Jon's got a good enough heart to know what she did was beyond the pale. That's been his whole cross to bear the entire series... that he does what's right instead of what's smart. The idea that Winterfell needed to be mentioned to be the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back just seemed stupid.

I guess if I bought into their love story... at all... then I could see him being blinded by that and really struggling with what to do next and they TRIED to go that route with the lines about duty killing love/love killing duty... but I thought their romance and especially chemistry didn't deliver enough on screen for me to buy that either.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score

Without rewatching, I thought she mentioned Winterfell in her Dothraki tongue when she was addressing the troops. Would he have understood that?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose