Jon Barry: If Suns get No. 1 pick in NBA Draft, trade it and draft Ja Morant

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
http://arizonasports.com/story/1933372/jon-barry-suns-get-no-1-pick-nba-draft-trade-ja-morant/

“I understand that Zion is going to be, maybe a franchise-changing player. He really might be,” Barry said. “But if you get number one, you go to every team in the league and you say, ‘How bad do you want Zion?’ Not only could you move down and get Ja at number two possibly, you can get some other pieces and be relevant like immediately next year. You’ve got to explore that.”

What is the first goal of the Phoenix Suns? Sell tickets!

I can tell you the casual fan in Phoenix doesn't know who Ja Morant is. I go shopping and when I do hear people talk about the draft it is always Zion. Talk about youtube highlights and monster dunks. You take Zion and still worry about getting a point guard. Why? Because at the end of the day, people love freakish athletes and will drop money to watch this guy destroy the rim. As a purist basketball take, yes, Phoenix may want the top PG. As a moneymaker, I take Zion, do whatever to get back into the draft and take a PG, or make a trade and get one, or sign one free agency. Just look at Milwaukee with the Greek Freak. You don't let a draw like that go to another team. As for free advertising, every night on every sports channel Zion will be on every highlight show. Zion would go a long way to getting the casual fan back to buying Suns tickets.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If i'm a pg, shooting guard or combo guard in the league, I look at the roster and see Zion, Ayton and Booker, I'd like to play with that up and coming roster. I am more likely too see more open shots and my assists rising, a lob here a lob there, a pass to an open Booker.

If i'm a forward, and I see Ayton, Booker and Ja, eh I don't really see the appeal to want to come to Phoenix other than necessity if I get paid the right amount. I don't see Ja boosting my game that much.

Suns have to draft Zion.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Look as much as I like Morant - you cannot pass on Zion unless you are getting like Anthony Davis or an all star caliber player and the #2 pick.

I really believe he can be as good as Lebron. I know he currently doesn't have a jump shot to speak of, but he will get one.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
There are multiple instances in NBA history where teams took this stance and it turned out REALLY BAD.

I like Ja Morant. I think he has a reasonably good chance of being a good player. I could see him making a few ALL Star games.....

But Zion Williamson has a chance to be the best player of the next generation of NBA players. You don't pass on that for an all star caliber PG. That's even considering that the Suns will probably get a few other players.

I MIGHT do it IF the Suns can get an All Star caliber player PLUS the #2 pick (Ja Morant).

Think of it this way....Lebron in his prime was worth at least two normal All Star players.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can believe anyone would trade down with the #1 pick for Morant.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I don't entirely agree with all of the crazy high projections of Williamson. But there is no good reason to pass on him for someone else. He fills an immediate need that is almost as urgent as PG, will be a huge attendance and media draw for the franchise, and could have considerable impact on the court (even if he's not the next Lebron).

The Suns would be foolish to pass on him, even if PG is a little more pressing need. It's not like it's really a choice between Zion and Magic Johnson or something like that.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ummmm no if suns got num 1 and traded it lol this board would riot...

Zion could be a lebron type player you can not pass on that

With zion booker ayton suns could attract a pg via fa trade

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would only do this if I got a star player back in this trade.

#1 for #2 and AD or something. If Zion is as good as AD, he will have reasonably fulfilled his potential. So getting Ja and the sure thing would be OK. But that is only if we are absolutely confident in resigning AD.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I'll say the same thing I said last year. If you get the number one pick, don't try to get cute. Just draft the clear-cut number one player.
I agree! This guy is rated the top pick by a fairly large margin. You don't mess with that.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If our goal was just to return to playoff contender status, making a Zion trade would help considerably. I hope our goals are loftier than simply becoming competitive and if so, we should gamble on Zion becoming the superstar many of us expect him to become.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just not worth the risk. I like Morant, but Zion is the closest thing to a sure thing in the draft and a franchise changer. You gotta take him.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Just not worth the risk. I like Morant, but Zion is the closest thing to a sure thing in the draft and a franchise changer. You gotta take him.
Kid is easily the next superstar in the league. Only one I'd trade him for MIGHT be the brow with a new deal in hand. But that would wreck the CAP for the future mtl. He might would like to play for Monty Williams again though.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
And being alongside Ayton in the front court will make DeAndre a better player.

And relieve DeAndre from the pressure of being our latest #1 pick.

Now if only we could luck out with our second #1 pick in 51 years.

And two years. The rest of the league would be saying, "How can
you not win?" And the pressure would really be on Sarver.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
If we get #1, Jones should just send a real estate agent to Zion right away.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If by the grace of God we get the first pick again, there is not one chance in a million that they give up Zion. Nothing.
No player, no trade, no chance they don't take him. And it will be the right move.
Zion, Ayton, Booker, Bridges, Oubre, whatever big name PG they trade for, maybe a developing Jackson, is a heck of a team to contend with after a bit of simmering time.
We need to be patient though. Teenagers don't dominate the NBA, no matter how physically talented.

A few years back, the OKC's had Hardin, Durant, and Westbrook at the same time. Didn't wait it out though, and lost them. Now, arguably, they are the top three players in the NBA. We've got the horses, especially if we get Zion.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton for all his detractors had a historic season for a rookie center.

JJJ is a very good player, but I wouldn't consider him in Ayton's class. So you can't say switch it around when the player you are switching it with is in an entirely different class than the original one

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is how different Ayton and JJJ are

Ayton: Averaged a double double. 16.3, 10.3, and 1.8. He had a win shares of 5.8 PER 20.5

Jackson 13.8, 4.7, 1.1. Win shares 3.3 PER 16.8