The 2018-2019 Around the NBA thread

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is he really that not-liked around the NBA? I think just because he was a Sun, we know a little more about him. Not much on youtube, just a few scuffles unless I missed a major "punches thrown fight" and such, but nothing as drastic as Ibaka's latest move.

AFAIC he's really a nothing player so from the moment we traded him he became a non-entity to me. I haven't followed him at all. But after the incident was plastered all over the internet, I started reading comments (elsewhere) about it. I was surprised by all the anti-Chriss sentiment from fans with no connection to him. I followed links and watched multiple videos showing why he's so disliked.

Prior to last night, I really just thought he was like a young Robin Lopez. Fairly clean player until he gets pissed and then he'd explode and cheap shot a player or destroy some furniture. But apparently it's not just anger management issues with him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chriss saying something doesn't justify Ibaka coming up from behind him and trying to choke him and throw punches at him. Ibaka would have been fully justified to go get in his face about it, but he immediately went beyond that point.

Agree with this take. Whether we like Chriss or not trash talk goes on in every game.

I bet Chriss thinks twice before running his mouth again.

If he is salvageable as a player this incident may help him mature. There is a lesson to be learned about respect.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chriss was just defending himself in my opinion. Ibaka attacked him very violently. Not sure what the league expected him to do. I guess the league has to at least give him one game so as not to set a precedent of undisciplined violence.

This is much the way I see. Since Ibaka was the aggressor, I think there should be more of a difference in the penalty... more than 2 games.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chriss was just defending himself in my opinion. Ibaka attacked him very violently. Not sure what the league expected him to do. I guess the league has to at least give him one game so as not to set a precedent of undisciplined violence.

They probably found him to be an instigator?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They probably found him to be an instigator?

Maybe but for at least the past few decades they have consistently suspended a player for throwing a punch, even when someone else starts an unprovoked fight. And Chriss definitely threw a punch or two, even landed a glancing blow.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
AFAIC he's really a nothing player so from the moment we traded him he became a non-entity to me. I haven't followed him at all. But after the incident was plastered all over the internet, I started reading comments (elsewhere) about it. I was surprised by all the anti-Chriss sentiment from fans with no connection to him. I followed links and watched multiple videos showing why he's so disliked.

Prior to last night, I really just thought he was like a young Robin Lopez. Fairly clean player until he gets pissed and then he'd explode and cheap shot a player or destroy some furniture. But apparently it's not just anger management issues with him.

I can think of, at least, one specific instance against Utah and another I think against the Clips and some vague memories of a few more where Chriss acted as an escalator and/or instigator in some after the whistle non-sense.

He really enjoys getting in a players face over what should be a nothing play and also has a habit of showing up late to a shoving match and, instead of trying to defuse, kicking things up another notch or 5.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I figured they would give Chriss something. Since he was technically part of the fight, even though he got his A$$ handed to him, and he did not through a punch. Or any meaningful defense. Throwing a punch, and Chriss wasn't injured from what I read, I am OK with three games for Ibaka.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I figured they would give Chriss something. Since he was technically part of the fight, even though he got his A$$ handed to him, and he did not through a punch. Or any meaningful defense. Throwing a punch, and Chriss wasn't injured from what I read, I am OK with three games for Ibaka.

You might want to watch it again. Chriss clearly threw punches, even landed at least one. And I disagree that he got his butt handed to him. At least one of his punches drew a little bit of flesh, Ibaka murdered the air with his wild swings. I have no doubt that Serge would win a wrestling match but pro boxing is not in his future.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chriss did not even get hurt, so I’m not sure how he got his arse handed to him.

I think he threw the first punch as well, the most popular camera angle misses that first punch Chriss threw. Then Ibaka swings and Chriss ducks.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Warriors finally beat Houston and for the first time in a big game Boogie was a key guy. Houston tried to exploit him in switches but he did ok and at theother end the 4th quarter was the Warriors using Boogie to torment Houston. OVer and over force a switch Boogie walks the defender down into the post gets the pass and if they don't double he scored, if they doubled, he made the right pass. Flirted with a triple double didn't get it though. Without Durant the ball moves beter but then late in the game closing out the win was harder without him to make those contested midrange shots with 2 on the shot clock that he's so good at.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

John Collins is the close thing that I’ve seen to prime Amare, especially athleticism and size wise.

This guy is gonna be a top 10 player pretty soon imo, has an excellent all around game.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

John Collins is the close thing that I’ve seen to prime Amare, especially athleticism and size wise.

This guy is gonna be a top 10 player pretty soon imo, has an excellent all around game.

Idk man prime Amare was a beast both physically and athletically. Amare would have dunked that.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pretty interesting in the draft positions in regards to the Hawks and Mavs. Mavs owe the pic to the Hawks but is top 5 protected. Hawks are 5th and Mavs 6th right now.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yeah sorry but Prime Amare was next level athletic and strong. Collins is nice but he ain’t even close

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would argue that wasn't even the height of his ferocity. That was post micro-fracture surgeries.

exactly what I was thinking.

man, that guy was a fearless beast on offense until injuries completely robbed him of his career.