The 2018-2019 Around the NBA thread

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steve Nash used to draw fouls by abruptly stopping when bringing the ball up the court. I never saw anything wrong with this maneuver but some opponents saw it as unfair.

My thought was keep off his rear.

I didn't realize anyone found that unfair as it's been around for as long as I've watched the game. It might lead to contact but I consider it a legit basketball move.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize anyone found that unfair as it's been around for as long as I've watched the game. It might lead to contact but I consider it a legit basketball move.

This is the way I saw it but I heard it mentioned often as he drew fouls doing this.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

At least with that, it is the defender initiating the contact. With the the rip through, the offensive player is initiating.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
So... Chicago won and Memphis is up on Houston by 2 with a minute and a half left in OT.

EDIT: Now up 6

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Clint Capela fouls Valucinious with .1s left and he nails one of them -- Grizz beat Rockets 126-125. And Harden shot 18-39 for 57 points.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So far seems like not going to happen. When the Spurs beat the Warriors the other night Jim Barnett was talking up how DeRozan has clearly been scouting Harden. He always shoots lots of FT's himself but he's outright copying Harden's sweep the ball up into the defender, even has the same stepback now although for 2 not a 3. He made a bunch of contested shots and drew a ton of fouls that way too. The really good players are going to be copying Harden so until the NBA decides they don't want to reward that, it's going to be happening more and more. Draymond actually did a sweep through in that game.
Booker uses some Harden moves to draw fouls as well.

It’s what is needed in today’s league with the way it’s officiated.

Bridges needs to learn how to flop at the landing/follow through of every 3pt attempt as well which is something that’s done a lot (and rewarded well) in the league.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wonder if they changed the rules back to shooting fouls only getting you 2 free throws, even on 3 point shots, if that might move things in some. I think that would be better than reducing points in the restricted area to 1 point. I know that could be exploited and possibly cost some teams games if a team was down 3 but they could set it so 3pt attempts get you 2 free throws unless it's in the final 2 minutes of a quarter and then it's 3 free throws.

They could also adopt the 1 and 1 style the NCAA uses but apply that to all shooting fouls, including 3pt attempts. If a player makes the first attempt then they get the second, and the same for 3's with a player needing to make the first two attempts to get the third.

I do like how the NBA has the G-League to try rule changes now before they decide to adopt it for the NBA. That keeps them from making a big a change that gets undone if it doesn't work. Things can stay consistent.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I wonder if they changed the rules back to shooting fouls only getting you 2 free throws, even on 3 point shots, if that might move things in some. I think that would be better than reducing points in the restricted area to 1 point. I know that could be exploited and possibly cost some teams games if a team was down 3 but they could set it so 3pt attempts get you 2 free throws unless it's in the final 2 minutes of a quarter and then it's 3 free throws.

They could also adopt the 1 and 1 style the NCAA uses but apply that to all shooting fouls, including 3pt attempts. If a player makes the first attempt then they get the second, and the same for 3's with a player needing to make the first two attempts to get the third.

I do like how the NBA has the G-League to try rule changes now before they decide to adopt it for the NBA. That keeps them from making a big a change that gets undone if it doesn't work. Things can stay consistent.
The only fix is to allow more physical defense. It would discourage players from going all the way to the rim and would make it more difficult to get open threes off the dribble. It would also encourage more ball movement because it would be more difficult to break down defenses off the dribble.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The only fix is to allow more physical defense. It would discourage players from going all the way to the rim and would make it more difficult to get open threes off the dribble. It would also encourage more ball movement because it would be more difficult to break down defenses off the dribble.
Yeah but that’s never going to happen under Adam Silver’s reign. He’s repeatedly stressed how scoring and offensive prowess is what drives ratings which in turn drives $$$ and that’s all he cares about.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One change that would absolutely help the defense is calling carrying and traveling. i know the NBA has ruled that Harden's stepback isn't a walk because of the "gather" but frankly I think they just used that as an excuse to allow it. If they go back to the way the rule was written to be, his stepback is a walk. And guys like Curry and Kyrie would be easier to guard if they weren't allowed to carry the ball.

They tried calling more moving screens but it got very problematic because it was so obvious that teams defend shooters by holding them and if disallow the moving screens but allow the holding, it's absurd. I think the league decided it's just too hard to clean up off the ball stuff, but they can clean up on the ball.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I like your creativity. I just wonder if encouraging more fouling would make the game less watchable.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not calling fouls when shooters initiate contact for the purpose of drawing a foul would be a good start. I would even call it offensive, but a no call would be ok too.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Yeah but that’s never going to happen under Adam Silver’s reign. He’s repeatedly stressed how scoring and offensive prowess is what drives ratings which in turn drives $$$ and that’s all he cares about.
Oddly enough I could make an argument that better defense might actually get more viewers watching. I have come across a lot of people that no longer watch the game because of the lack of defense being played today, or they opt to only watch college because there is actual defense being allowed at that level.

Now I'm not suggesting going all the way back to 2000-2001 type game where there were a lot of games that were something like 78-75, but games that routinely end up somewhere around 100 points each would be a good place to be.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another thing would be not calling fouls when the offensive players creates the contact.

I think this would eliminate a lot of foul calls on the defensive player. The offensive player has a huge advantage the way it is called in the NBA.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love the rules restrictions placed on defensive players and would hate to see it go the other way even a little bit, in fact I think it still has a little further to go (contact off the ball, moving screens etc). But now they need to do the same to the offense and stop allowing them to create contact to gain an advantage.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Um. Did three of us just post basically exactly the same thing?

We are just getting warmed up.

The forum seems to be running a bit slow today which contributes to the problem.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I still think they should move the 3 point line further away and maybe eliminate it altogether in the corners. If it’s a more difficult shot it will initially cut down on the number of such shots many players will take and also which players have the green light. It will also make the 3 more of special shot when made than it is now. I think it would open up the game even further.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still think they should move the 3 point line further away and maybe eliminate it altogether in the corners. If it’s a more difficult shot it will initially cut down on the number of such shots many players will take and also which players have the green light. It will also make the 3 more of special shot when made than it is now. I think it would open up the game even further.

And make Steph Curry, Damion Lillard, Trae Young etc more valuable since they all regularly make shots 26 feet on out.

I blame all of this on Ginobili by the way. Great player but him in particular brought a bunch of things to the NBA that weren't common before, the Euro step, the exaggerated flops, the creating contact with sweeping the ball etc. The NBA looked at all of them and decided they were allowed, even the Euro Step which had always been a walk before. That's really changed the game IMO. THe Euro step makes it much harder to draw a charge as they just take the extra step around. The sweeping thing makes it harder to keep a hand up as a defender, if you extend the hand at all the guy with the ball just sweeps through. Reggie Miller use to get fouls when he would knock the defenders hand off his hip, nowadays that would be a defensive foul.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
And make Steph Curry, Damion Lillard, Trae Young etc more valuable since they all regularly make shots 26 feet on out.

I blame all of this on Ginobili by the way. Great player but him in particular brought a bunch of things to the NBA that weren't common before, the Euro step, the exaggerated flops, the creating contact with sweeping the ball etc. The NBA looked at all of them and decided they were allowed, even the Euro Step which had always been a walk before. That's really changed the game IMO. THe Euro step makes it much harder to draw a charge as they just take the extra step around. The sweeping thing makes it harder to keep a hand up as a defender, if you extend the hand at all the guy with the ball just sweeps through. Reggie Miller use to get fouls when he would knock the defenders hand off his hip, nowadays that would be a defensive foul.
I think those players should be more valuable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard